The Lang is here!!! Now with PRON!!!

Divemaster

somebody shut me the fark up.
Well, it’s finally on its way…

First I should say that ever since the first time I saw a Lang cook I’ve known that it was the smoker for me… Ben produces a great product and I plan on using it as my primary smoker for both comps and personal cooking… I also know that he is trying to save me money and is really just a great guy to work with… I know that if and when I buy another smoker I’m 99.9% sure it’s going to be another Lang. I don’t blame Ben, I guess I’ve been living in the northern big cities for to long….

The problem was on the transportation end… It seems that the drivers are a little ‘skittish’ of driving during winter…. My first conversation, a week ago last Monday, went something like this:

Me:
Hey Ben, how we doing on getting that smoker up here… I can’t wait to get her fired up!!!
Ben:
Sorry Jeff, I’m having trouble finding transportation up there… I should have it all set by Wednesday and you can be cooking by the weekend...
Me:
Not a problem. With smaller loads like that you need to find an LTL (Less than fully loaded trailer).
Ben:
That’s right. I’m working on it and it should ship on Wednesday.

I can understand his position. He’s trying to save me money and I appreciate it. So Wednesday comes around and I get the following phone call…

Ben:
Jeff, I’m sorry but it doesn’t look like it’s going to ship out this week…
Me:
Why, still having problems finding an LTL or (gasp) is there a problem with the cooker?
Ben:
Nope, no problem with the cooker… From I understand, there is going to be snow up by you…

It is at this point I almost bit my tongue off… Let’s see, I live north of the Mason/Dixon Line and its late February… OF CORSE THERE IS SNOW UP HERE!!! From what I understood the driver was worried about the 1 to 3 inches of snot we supposed to get… I tried to explain that even if we got the “whole 3 inches”, we are better prepared to clean it up quickly… We do it all the time… No good…

OK, there wouldn’t be transportation available until Monday of this week when I get a call late that afternoon…

Ben:
Jeff, I’m sorry but we didn’t ship out the smoker today….
Me:
Ben, I checked the weather reports and there is no snow predicted for the next couple of days… What’s the issue?
Ben:
Well, we’re expecting some big storms down here tomorrow….

My tongue had almost healed from the previous conversation, but it wasn’t to be… Based on what little I know (consulted for multiple transportation companies over the years) if they had loaded the smoker on Monday and then left (that was the original plan) wouldn’t they be out of the area before the storms hit on Tuesday? Come on… I’m dieing here!!!

Again the slot was missed… So yesterday I called Ben to see what was happening….

Me:
Hey Ben, just wondering where we stand on my smoker (bracing myself for the worst).
Ben:
Good News!!! It’s been loaded up and left around 12 today!!!
Me:
Ben, please don’t toy with my emotions this way… Really????
Ben:
Yep, he should be up there on Friday!

It is at this point my fingers are flying over my keyboard to get to AccuWeather.com. Nope, nothing coming this way… Over to the Weather Channel site… Confirmed, no bad stuff between south-east Georgia and north-east Illinois!!!! (Feet are doing the happy dance)... It’s happening!!! I’m getting my new Lang!!!! YAAAAA HOOOOO!!!!

So there we stand… The smoker is on its way… I have a load of Shagbark Hickory ready (thank you again Fatboyz), and Sam’s Club has Pork Butt’s on sale for $.93 a pound… Life is good…..

Dude, you wont sleep for the next two days! I'm sure you can smell the smoke already?!?!?

Congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nothin like gettin a new toy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I was excited just waiting for my hats and wood from a trade. That wait must be crazy!!!

Congrats, make sure you offer a cold one to the driver when he delivers. And make sure to photo document the entire experience from the time the truck turns the corner until the smoker produces its first offering of smokey goodness.

I think you should have held Ben to brethern standards. That being "no pics, it didn't happen"...

Jeff - Happy for you brother. I see you acting like a kid on christmas opening a present to find an Xbox 360 or some cool gadget, when that Lang shows up.

Must see pron!:shock:

Congrats. We southern folk don't know how to drive in snow. Years ago I had the city sewage back up into my house. Big mess. It was one of the two days in history that it snowed in southern Alabama. The insurance company tried to get Servpro out to clean up. Noone would come because we had snow flurries. Not even sticking. They finally got a guy who was originally from Chicago out. He was the only one who would dare to go out in such horrible conditions.

Wow! You won't be sleepin!!:eek::eek::eek: Congrats Jeff. See you already have it listed in your sig line. Smoke On!

Paul

Back