What's Cookin

Kevin

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
What's cookin for father's day?
I just trimmed up and put to brine 10# yard bird hind quarters.
Spatchcocked and seasoned 1 yard bird.
Rubbed a 5# chusck roast.
Rubbed a boneless boston butt to cook over the beans.
A batch of beans from scratch this time instead of using Bush's.
A batch of Mokan's cheezy taters.
A pasta salad recipe I came across (this suckers got a pound of pepperoni and a pound of cheese in it. Gotta be good)
And of course experimental ABT's. (sauerkraut/swiss cheese/corned beef)

Hope someone shows up to eat it.

I did my only real cooking for the weekend yesterday. Three racks of real spare ribs, three racks of back loin ribs, a 5 pound chusck roast, and a couple of JD Bold Fatties.
Cole Slaw and Garlic Cheese Grits, and home made Strawberry Ice cream.

Sounds like a party!!!!!!!!

I trimmed and shot up a brisket last night and im getting ready to fire up the bandera here in a bit to slow smoke for tommorrow. Gonna serve with potato salad , corn on the cob, and beans. Its been awhile since I've cooked on the Bandera and Im looking forward to it.

Kevin said:
Hope someone shows up to eat it.

What time is dinner?

Total Est. Time: 6 hours, 30 minutes

Total Est. Distance: 413.66 miles

:-D :-D

Ron_L said:
What time is dinner?

Total Est. Time: 6 hours, 30 minutes

Total Est. Distance: 413.66 miles

:-D :-D

1:00 ish. The beer is always cold.

I'm working, and that really sucks. But maybe I'll cook later this week.

I think I'll call my buddy in Brainerd and have him come check out your spread.

bbqjoe said:
I think I'll call my buddy in Brainerd and have him come check out your spread.

Plenty of food and cold beer.

6 Racks of baby backs, Two beer can chickens for tomorrow. For tonight, Polish sausages, Brats and maragaritas a go-go!

The tiki deck is now officially open for summer!

Happy Father's day to the Brethren

bbqpigskin said:
6 Racks of baby backs, Two beer can chickens for tomorrow. For tonight, Polish sausages, Brats and maragaritas a go-go!

The tiki deck is now officially open for summer!

Happy Father's day to the Brethren
Need pictures of the tiki deck please!!!!

My dad's in Atlanta, so no FDay cooking... but today is my wife's birthday. I'm doing a couple of new things.

First, 3 big porterhouse steaks... not new, but always good. I'm going to slice them and reassemble them to serve.
Grilled fruit salad. I'm grilling pineapple, peaches, mango and strawberries, then adding some blueberries, and serving with a creme fraiche/honey sauce and cinnamon
Sangria with a variety of fruit, made with some rioja and brandy with cinnamon sticks.

And the really fun part... I'm grilling 5 whole lobsters... I get to take the knife to them to end their miserable ocean bug lives instead of boiling them. I may get some pics of the massacre. I'm going to halve them and grill them, then slather on some basil butter.

The wife is cooking dinner tommorrow for fathers day and here is the menu.

Appetizer: Baked Stuffed whole clams.

Soup: Pea soup with bits of bacon and Garlic Roasted Crutons

Main Course: Twin Lobster Tails with Prisutto wrapped Jumbo Shrimp stuffed with Crab meat.

Desert: (If I have any room) Expresso and fresh Strawberries served with fresh whipped Cream.

Cigar and snifter of Port...........:cool:

Hey.....Man can't live by Que alone.......Well maybe he can........but a change of pace is always nice.

5 hrs in the smoke..only 15 more to go

Well its coming along just fine and should be ready in the am to let set in the cooler for a spell before serving. MMMMM Cant wait. Just to make you all hungry..........
840861797_l.jpg

Here are a couple of pics from yesterday's cook. More on my blog.
lobserve.jpg

Sorry, this one's not in focus, but it was kind of cool, I thought:
lobsterchop.jpg

lobstergrill2.jpg

steakgrill.jpg

Dang, Curt! That looks fantastic!

I did a little seafood myself last night. Worst fish I ever cooked. We had some halibut filets that I just couldn't get my mind around or somehting. I offset-grilled them on the kettle, and topped with diced tomatoes/ basil/ olive oil/ onion for the last few minutes. For some reason, I also mixed bread crumbs in with the tomato mixture. Mush city. I've had success with a scheme like that in the oven, but the kettle has the wrong heat profile or somehting. and on top of that, The fish was mushy, too. Bad experience, but a lesson learned.

Rats, I'm working the weekend too. Looks like there are some real feeds going on!

Yesterday I built a fire at 5AM, put a brisket on at 6, turned it before going in at 7:30, snuck home at 10:30 and 1PM to turn it. It was a choice one and cooked a little faster than normal. The wife had it foiled and in the cooler when I got home.

7a197117.jpg

76361a43.jpg

How did the brisket turn out? I've thought about trying one at a faster but controlled rate in foil, but haven't gotten myself to do it yet.

cmcadams said:
How did the brisket turn out? I've thought about trying one at a faster but controlled rate in foil, but haven't gotten myself to do it yet.

Curt,

I cooked it at 230° direct in my drum on the upper grate. I wasn't trying to cook it any quicker than usual, it finished early on it's own. It was a little one, just less than #9 and the point was kind of knobby. I was guessing 12 hour cook and it was done in 9-1/2. Foiled and rested for 3 hours. It was very tasty. Average moistness, good flavor and color & 3/8" smoke ring. Had a samwich today and it reheated well.

Back