Tri Tip

Eggspert

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We are thinking about doing a non-KCBS sanctioned competition with a tri-tip catagory. I have never cooked tri-tip. I was thinking about using the same seasonings I do for brisket. In a competition setting would you inject a tri-tip? Would you put BBQ sauce on top of the slices. I know you leave it med. rare, so it will get cooked to that temp. In Minnesota I don't think I have ever even seen a tri-tip in the store. I need some help from others more familiar with this cut!

Any tips or suggestions, sear or reverse sear?

We have never cooked one and will try a few before the competition, but thought you could help us with the learning curve.

Eggspert BBQ

I wouldnt inject tri tip. It has a great flavor all alone. Unless I was cooking on a frozen lake. :heh:

Cook it indirect until it hits 115- 120 internal then sear on a hot grill to 125 internal. Slice across the grain.

Cook it indirect until it hits 115- 120 internal then sear on a hot grill to 125 internal. Slice across the grain.

I think Ron nailed how to cook it. I like to you a large grain rub on my tri tip. Sometimes I will use Montreal Steak seasoning out of the jar or will put it in a coffee grinder to break it down just a little.

Cook it like a steak hot and fast or reverse sear it like the others have said. I'm all about the reverse sear method, you get a nice smoke flavor too. After it cooks I wrap mine in foil for about 20 minutes to rest. The juices that settle in foil get kept for me to lay my slices in. Here is an excellent video on slicing tri-tip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmxHmuV4vTU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I like to use a medium coat of Simply Marvelous Peppered Cow, into mesquite smoke @ 325 until 120ish, sear it over HOT coals to 135ish, rest in a loosely tented pan. Slice & enjoy!

Watch as you slice, the grain tends to curve.

I concur. :thumb: No need to inject. I used a combo rub of carne asada rub and Montreal Steak Seasoning. Farking amazing.

Before you get to worried about the med rare for the contest I believe that Turk said the organiser has a No Blood rule . So you may want to check that out. Montreal spice blend for me.

I was surprised to find that there are no tritip threads in the roadmap. Anybody up for the challenge?

For a competition would you put sauce on it? I was thinking a sauce similar to what I would do for brisket.
Eggspert BBQ

I would do a reverse sear with a simple S&P&G rub. Montreal steak seasoning is good.
A hint from last years Pitmasters show. On the tri-tip episode all the tri-tip looked like hell. Not the fault of the cooks. The judges (network) held everything for a while.
So I would cook it rare, resting it, knowing it will cook a little more in the box.
And no sauce other than a little paint of natural au jus.

Eggspert, I see tri-tip in the twin cities all the time at all the Costco's. I haven't purchased one since around October but I would not think it was seasonal. I don't know how often you get down here but I will look on Sunday and see if they are in stock.

For a competition would you put sauce on it? I was thinking a sauce similar to what I would do for brisket.
Eggspert BBQ
Coming from California we cook tri-tip once or twice a month year round. And as previous stated Costco is your best bet to find it.

I would not sauce for a competition. But if you do... go lightly so as not to over power the meat flavor. This is basically a sirloin steak so why mess up the bold steak taste.

At home I take about 5 cloves of garlic and halve them. Make some cuts into the meat and jamb the garlic in. Salt and pepper on the outside and away you go!

Good luck.

i cooked this as a best dish category once..used Oak Ridge Santa Maria Seasoning ..I didnt have a grill with so I cooked it on the top shelf of my Backwoods chubby where it would get more heat ..to about 12o-125 internal..came out fine...sliced and fanned two rows of slices in box like brisket
keep in mind as you are slicing the grain on that cut changes..
I didnt sauce..

I was informed that the no blood is directed at the pork and chicken. Judges would be informed of the diference between blood and delicious beef. and if they couldnt do that, they shouldnt be judging.

Id still stray away from med rare

Back