BBQ Disasters - Your Input Needed!

KnucklHed BBQ

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Head KnucklHed
Hey Everybody!
simpsons_doctor-798476.gif

Ive noticed that there have been several threads lately detailing the horrors of "hot charcoal meets bare feet"... I'd like to take it to another place.
I want to know about the embarassing "wow, that didn't turn out like I'd planned" type of cooks and horror stories that make people think "Dear God, I hope that never happens to me!"

I was thinking of things along the lines of Poobah's famous Dr Pepper fiasco...

If the stories have been told in posts before - feel free to put up the link so that us newer members have the chance to check them out.

Thanks!

Oh........my.......................GAWD!!!!

I just read Poobah's Dr. Pepper thread.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

I was going to reply with some lame story about making a meatloaf that the wife literally couldn't eat, but I'm not ABOUT to follow THAT story.

OH, man. Too funny.

Oh........my.......................GAWD!!!!

I just read Poobah's Dr. Pepper thread.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

I was going to reply with some lame story about making a meatloaf that the wife literally couldn't eat, but I'm not ABOUT to follow THAT story.

OH, man. Too funny.

Whoa there! That's exactly the type of start we DON'T want!!
We need to hear about every dismal faliure, regardless of how minor it may seem in comparison to another disaster...

So this meatloaf... Was it an expirement gone wrong or burned to a crisp? Texture off?? Do tell!!!

I'll be chiming in with a few stories of my own, I just need to decide which one goes 1st! :mrgreen:

Oh and don't be afraid to blame the catastrophie on something like "alcohol consumption" or "it was a reeeaaallllyy long time ago" or maybe even a classic " well it didn't happen to me, but a "friend" did blah-blah-blah..." :rolleyes:

A couple years back when the seahawks were making a run at the super bowl I was smoking some nice trout a freind of mine had caught. Well it was during a plyoff game and I had just smoked some salmon when he showed up with some nice trout 16"-20" so I placed them in the still smoking smoker (an ECB) well I didnt notice the water pan had gone dry next thing ya know FIRE, FIRE, needless to say he wasnt impressed with his burnt trout jerky. The Seahawks did win and go on to the Super Bowl and we all no how that turned out about the same as the Trout!

I can't think of an actual cooking disaster just now, but, there was the famous aftermath of a brisket cook where I ended up with brisket sploogie all over my pants and shoes.

Several lessons were allegedly learned, one is that Weber kettle legs are not stable in their holders. Two, you pull a ketlle, not push it, to move it. Another is that you clean up after cooking, not a day or two later, when you have forgotten about the drip pan.

A little advise!
When you think you’ve dropped something into the Ugly Drum Smoker you are making it’s a good idea to double and triple check inside to make sure nothing is there before you fire up the new high powered, self igniting weed burner to give the drum a good burn.
Otherwise you might end up with this:

DSCN1482.jpg

Whoa there! That's exactly the type of start we DON'T want!!
We need to hear about every dismal faliure, regardless of how minor it may seem in comparison to another disaster...

So this meatloaf... Was it an expirement gone wrong or burned to a crisp? Texture off?? Do tell!!!

I'll be chiming in with a few stories of my own, I just need to decide which one goes 1st! :mrgreen:

Oh and don't be afraid to blame the catastrophie on something like "alcohol consumption" or "it was a reeeaaallllyy long time ago" or maybe even a classic " well it didn't happen to me, but a "friend" did blah-blah-blah..." :rolleyes:

Oh, OK......
Another reason I didn't know if it was appropriate was that it wasn't BBQ. BUT, since you prod...

This is the first time I can remember actually trying to "wing it" in the kitchen without strictly follwing a recipe TO THE LETTER. Yes, I'm THAT guy.:becky: Drives my wife and Mom crazy. I've changed since then, but only because I'm a lot more comfortable experimenting because I UNDERSTAND the whole spice/cooking/basic idea of cooking.

My wife and I have always enjoyed meatloaf. She always cooked it up to this point. One night I announced that I'd be the one cooking our meatloaf, to which she was more than happy to oblige in letting me do the cooking. So I rub my hands together, putting my best "Emeril" face on and after mixing the hamburger with the crackers and egg, I proceeded to raid the spice rack. (we now have a spice CABINET....see how things have changed?). Hmmmmmm, what would be good in meatloaf? Lemon pepper......greek seasoning.....garlic powder.....onion powder......oregano......italian seasoning.......and, umm.......FENNEL seed. I remembered using fennel seed in a lasagna recipe once that I liked, so fennel seed was good, right? Right. About 2 tbs should be enough.

Mix, drop in pan, cook at 350 until done. MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Smells good.

Sliced and served (with whatever else we had) to me and the wife (this was prior to kids as I recall).

She took a bite.........
Looked at me wide-eyed.......
....and SPHIT!!! Right on the plate.

I was shocked and she started laughing hysterically while trying to wipe her tongue with her napkin at the same time. Tears running down her face as she said, "Oh, I'm so sorry, Honey......but that's NASTY!"

Still her favorite story to tell about my cooking.

Trust me.....I got better. We now will not eat meatloaf any other way but smoked!!!:thumb:

A little advise!
When you think you’ve dropped something into the Ugly Drum Smoker you are making it’s a good idea to double and triple check inside to make sure nothing is there before you fire up the new high powered, self igniting weed burner to give the drum a good burn.
Otherwise you might end up with this:

DSCN1482.jpg

Now that's funny! You didn't notice how fuzzy everything was?

This past spring, I was asked if I would be in charge of making "Texas BBQ" for our community dinner theater. Of course, I said, "yes," thinking brisket, etc. Then I was told it was going to be beef ribs. Okay..that'll work...then I found out it was "Boneless beef ribs." ?!?!? That's not really Texas BBQ, but okay.

I talked to the lady in charge of the production and she told me that her SIL (who usually does the cooking for these things, but couldn't this year) has done them in the past and simmers them on his grill (he has a very large, trailer grill) in pans with wine, seasonings, etc. I met with him, and he told me the same thing - that he simmers them and then throws them on the grate for marking and saucing. I'm not thrilled, but okay -if that's what the folks expect. He said he usually started a few hours in advance (I don't remember now how long).

The day comes and I go to our (now closed) grocery store to pick up the meat. I'm not sure what all was in the box, but it was not full of boneless beef ribs - I mean there were pieces of meat of all types, trimmed to about the same size. CRAP!!! We did our best to get them tender, but they turned out tough as shoe leather - and we were a few pieces short. Not a great way to introduce my cooking to the community. Ugh.

Growing up my father loved nothing better than a Saturday grilling spare ribs. He'd
spend hours in the kitchen mixing up a special recipe for sauce known only to him
and God. Once done he'd head over to the gasser and fire it up on high. He'd wait
probably 30 minutes or so, then take the ribs and roll them through the thick sauce
mixture to thoroughly cover them, and then it was immediately on to the searing
grill. He'd drop the lid and let them cook for about 10 minutes, then open 'er back
up, baste (and I mean dump another huge amount of sauce on the top) the ribs,
flip them, baste the burnt side, and close it down for another 10 minutes. He would
repeat this for the next 20 minutes or so, until he had a wonderful coating of burned
sugars on the outside and until the inside was just BARELY hot enough to pass a
meat inspection. No fat rendered whatsoever. Hell, I couldn't gnaw the meat off
the bone, but then I didnt really want to because they tasted GHASTLY. It wasn't
until my 30th birthday that I actually tried ribs again. Thankfully this time they
were moist and tender, not quite falling off the bone but close, with only a little
sauce added at the end. Most if not all the fat had been rendered. Who knew
ribs could taste this wonderful?!?!?!!!!

I love the man dearly, but this is his idea of perfect ribs. We agree to disagree.

All we would say was, "Yes, the flames were over the tree tops." and "I don't care what those pilots flying over said, there was NO forest fire!"

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

All I can say is that I wear shoes now when I'm tending the charcoal chimney....

<<<<<< You shoulda seen me hop...:bounce:

Last year I decided to smoke a ham for the family at Easter time. I read on the smoking-meat website that you could take a pre-cooked ham and smoke it for about 3-5 hours. The extra smoke kick, plus "adding some rub, marinade, sauce, whatever" was really supposed to make it a special treat. The example given was coated with yellow mustard and then some rub.

Well, I decided to go one better and made up a marinade with apple juice, vinegar, salt and spices. I marinated it overnite in the mixture, around 12 or 13 hours. I made sure my smoker temperature was real close to 225° as directed and smoked it for a little over 4 hours. It was a spiral ham so I didn't even have to slice it. I just proudly presented it and put it on the table. When the family began pulling "slices" off, they began falling apart. The ham had TURNED TO MUSH!:rolleyes::shock::shock: It was entirely unpalatable because of the mushy consistency and I had no back-up!:help: Luckily I had a large package of brats and some hot dogs that I was able to heat up quickly while everyone went back onto the living room and talked about how awful it was. It seemed like that was the main topic of conversation in our family every time we got together for over 6 months. Finally for Thanksgiving of last year, I convinced them to let me atone for my mistake(I insisted, actually) by making a ham for Thanksgiving. There was also a Turkey just in case!

I did several practice cooks first, and on Thanksgiving presented them with two freshly made "hams" made from pork loins that I had done a 30 hour cure on and then smoked. They said it tasted like some of the best deli ham they had ever had. Finally.... I was able to put the Easter Ham Mush episode behind me.

Actually the mushed ham did make a very flavorful ham and bean soup. Lots of ham flavor, but no ham pieces.... just nice thick tasty soup!

A couple years back when the seahawks were making a run at the super bowl I was smoking some nice trout a freind of mine had caught. Well it was during a plyoff game and I had just smoked some salmon when he showed up with some nice trout 16"-20" so I placed them in the still smoking smoker (an ECB) well I didnt notice the water pan had gone dry next thing ya know FIRE, FIRE, needless to say he wasnt impressed with his burnt trout jerky. The Seahawks did win and go on to the Super Bowl and we all no how that turned out about the same as the Trout!

We got robbed! Go Hawks!

This past spring, I was asked if I would be in charge of making "Texas BBQ" for our community dinner theater. Of course, I said, "yes," thinking brisket, etc. Then I was told it was going to be beef ribs. Okay..that'll work...then I found out it was "Boneless beef ribs." ?!?!? That's not really Texas BBQ, but okay.

I talked to the lady in charge of the production and she told me that her SIL (who usually does the cooking for these things, but couldn't this year) has done them in the past and simmers them on his grill (he has a very large, trailer grill) in pans with wine, seasonings, etc. I met with him, and he told me the same thing - that he simmers them and then throws them on the grate for marking and saucing. I'm not thrilled, but okay -if that's what the folks expect. He said he usually started a few hours in advance (I don't remember now how long).

The day comes and I go to our (now closed) grocery store to pick up the meat. I'm not sure what all was in the box, but it was not full of boneless beef ribs - I mean there were pieces of meat of all types, trimmed to about the same size. CRAP!!! We did our best to get them tender, but they turned out tough as shoe leather - and we were a few pieces short. Not a great way to introduce my cooking to the community. Ugh.

I feel your pain... hate it when stuff like that happens!

I did several practice cooks first, and on Thanksgiving presented them with two freshly made "hams" made from pork loins that I had done a 30 hour cure on and then smoked. They said it tasted like some of the best deli ham they had ever had. Finally.... I was able to put the Easter Ham Mush episode behind me.

^^^^Thats the key right there!!! Practice! Glad it worked out! Funny story too!

Alright, I promised a story of my own, for what it's worth.

Everytime my mom has a family get together I'm the one who is asked to grill - Fine by me, here husband is a 'tard (more on that later) and my BIL is a decent enough cook, but he doesn't do much of it, and usually just burgers & dogs.

What really kills me is that my mom's plan always seems to be "we'll just do watever's in the freezer that needs to be eaten" The last time we did this, she turns over a pile of 1/2 thawed meat that is supposed to be ready to eat in about an hour... There were lamb chops (I'd never cooked 'em before), pork chops, bone in - skin on chicken breasts, crappy top sirloin steaks, brats and some hamburger meat (not patties).

I was so hacked off! "Mom! don't you understand that you only have room for about 1/3 of this stuff on the grill at a time and EVERYTHING cooks to a different temp and for different times??
It was a mess... not only was the gasser on the small side, but was a cheap one too so I was cooking over the firey pits of Hades in some parts and growing ice cubes in others!

--Cut to Mom's husband-- He's 23 years YOUNGER than she is, that's about 5 years younger than me. Lets get this out of the way - No, she is not rich or extremely hot and No, he is not rich or extremely hot... seems like everyone always needs to know the answers to those questions.

So while I'm prepping the mound of frozen meat, I ask my BIL to check out the grill and get it preheating. About 10 min later I can see through the window that he and mom's husband have had a conversation and now the look on his face shows that he's perplexed and probably ready to have an anurism.
I wash off my hands and walk out there and ask what's going on.
He opens the lid and points to a lower grate below the cooking grate (it's about 3/4" above the flames) and says "He told me that when he has alot of stuff to cook, he uses that grate to put more food on, that way he has twice as much space."
My eyes crossed, my head started to hurt, I too was going to have an anurism.
BIL smiles and says "Oh no, it gets better, trust me." He turns and points to a pile of ceramic briquettes stacked on the table off to the side of the grill. "He says he usually doesn't use those" "Why??!!" I ask. "oh, he says that he can't hardly keep them lit unless he soaks them in lighter fluid for a long time, other wise he has to keep putting more on them during the cook..." OMG. "WHAT????!!!!" Big grin is all I get from the BIL.

That was it. The anurism was gone, eyes uncrossed, my pulse slowed to a steady beat... a calming peace washed over me.
It was one of those times where your brain gets so overloaded, stumped with a problem that has no answer, that if you react in the way that would be seen as natural, you die. I mean your brain would litterally stop giving out commands to breath, pump blood, keep your bowels from loosing, ...that sort of thing. Our brains have a safety valve, and fortunately for me, my saftey valve releases inner peace.

We started putting the ceramic briquettes on the lower grate, hoping we could get it done before he returned. Of course not, about 1/2 way through putting them in place he returns and asks why we're putting them in. "oh, you know, I just find that they help distribute the heat better and reduce the hot spots so that everything cooks more evenly."
And he starts in telling me about doubling his cooking space and lighter fluid... "hang on" I say, "I need another beer".

All in all the food turned out alright, although about 45min later than planned. The lamb was pretty good too!

Da' End.​

Everytime my mom has a family get together I'm the one who is asked to grill - Fine by me, here husband is a 'tard (more on that later) and my BIL is a decent enough cook, but he doesn't do much of it, and usually just burgers & dogs.

What really kills me is that my mom's plan always seems to be "we'll just do watever's in the freezer that needs to be eaten" The last time we did this, she turns over a pile of 1/2 thawed meat that is supposed to be ready to eat in about an hour... There were lamb chops (I'd never cooked 'em before), pork chops, bone in - skin on chicken breasts, crappy top sirloin steaks, brats and some hamburger meat (not patties).

I was so hacked off! "Mom! don't you understand that you only have room for about 1/3 of this stuff on the grill at a time and EVERYTHING cooks to a different temp and for different times??
It was a mess... not only was the gasser on the small side, but was a cheap one too so I was cooking over the firey pits of Hades in some parts and growing ice cubes in others!

--Cut to Mom's husband-- He's 23 years YOUNGER than she is, that's about 5 years younger than me. Lets get this out of the way - No, she is not rich or extremely hot and No, he is not rich or extremely hot... seems like everyone always needs to know the answers to those questions.

So while I'm prepping the mound of frozen meat, I ask my BIL to check out the grill and get it preheating. About 10 min later I can see through the window that he and mom's husband have had a conversation and now the look on his face shows that he's perplexed and probably ready to have an anurism.
I wash off my hands and walk out there and ask what's going on.
He opens the lid and points to a lower grate below the cooking grate (it's about 3/4" above the flames) and says "He told me that when he has alot of stuff to cook, he uses that grate to put more food on, that way he has twice as much space."
My eyes crossed, my head started to hurt, I too was going to have an anurism.
BIL smiles and says "Oh no, it gets better, trust me." He turns and points to a pile of ceramic briquettes stacked on the table off to the side of the grill. "He says he usually doesn't use those" "Why??!!" I ask. "oh, he says that he can't hardly keep them lit unless he soaks them in lighter fluid for a long time, other wise he has to keep putting more on them during the cook..." OMG. "WHAT????!!!!" Big grin is all I get from the BIL.

That was it. The anurism was gone, eyes uncrossed, my pulse slowed to a steady beat... a calming peace washed over me.
It was one of those times where your brain gets so overloaded, stumped with a problem that has no answer, that if you react in the way that would be seen as natural, you die. I mean your brain would litterally stop giving out commands to breath, pump blood, keep your bowels from loosing, ...that sort of thing. Our brains have a safety valve, and fortunately for me, my saftey valve releases inner peace.

We started putting the ceramic briquettes on the lower grate, hoping we could get it done before he returned. Of course not, about 1/2 way through putting them in place he returns and asks why we're putting them in. "oh, you know, I just find that they help distribute the heat better and reduce the hot spots so that everything cooks more evenly."
And he starts in telling me about doubling his cooking space and lighter fluid... "hang on" I say, "I need another beer".

All in all the food turned out alright, although about 45min later than planned. The lamb was pretty good too!

Da' End.​

:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:

I was smiling until you got to the part about how he couldn't keep them lit unless he soaked them in lighter fluid, then came a full out belly laugh....right here at work!!!!!

Good GAWD man......you're right (and I don't know him, but) he sounds like a 'tard.

Where do people come UP with this chit?:confused:

Back