THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WineMaster

Babbling Farker
Anyone ever tried Gates from KC.
I made the sauce using the recipie from the Mike Mills Book.
Didnt like it at all. Wondering what others inpression is about it.
Now the Witts recipie is awsome. Thats the one from Murphysboro Ill.
Great on pulled pork.
What other sauces are amoungst your favorites.

Cheers Dan

I've tryed Gates a couple of weeks ago for the first and last time. It's pretty bad when it makes Mauls look good!!!! I like to make my own sauce, ketcup base with other stuff, but if I buy any it's Spicewine Sweet heat, or Show-Me bbq sauce. But I'm pretty parcial to those because they're made in my home town.:mrgreen:

Too each their own ... Gates original is my favorite sauce. Next to Kraft, KC Masterpiece is my least favorite.

Too each their own ... Gates original is my favorite sauce. Next to Kraft, KC Masterpiece is my least favorite.

Not sayin its a bad sauce. I am wondering if anyone made it from that book. I didnt vary from the recipie at all. I thought it was real peppery and you can taste the celery seed alot. Didnt know how true to the original it is.

Not sayin its a bad sauce. I am wondering if anyone made it from that book. I didnt vary from the recipie at all. I thought it was real peppery and you can taste the celery seed alot. Didnt know how true to the original it is.

That doesn't sound like the Real Gates sauce to me. Ingredients make a big difference in a product. You can have someone's recipe and not exactly duplicate their product.

EDIT: In the Gates restaurants, they used to serve the sauce warm. Some locals who "know" BBQ don't care for Gates. I've always liked it. Just a signature taste of Kansas City to me: white bread, sliced meats, and sauce. Yum-oh.

Last edited:
Since Kraft bought out KC Masterpiece, it is not the same sauce. They bastardised it and now sell it for .99 per bottle. Doesn't even taste the same.

Spicewine !! Smokin Cracker, Blue Collar, Sweet Heat .... got to try the 'basic' sometime. These sauces are always standouts and never disappoint.
(what happened to the apricot?)

JPWs sauces, Big Mista secret sauce and Spice's Sweet Heat I use for personal and professional purposes. I make one my family really seems to enjoy back in Chicago, but I usually do not feel like preparing it in mass quantities.

Here in Hawaii, our sauces are limited, I just tried Sweet Baby Rays, and that is a awesome sauce! Too bad it cost 3x as much here, than on the mainland.
Has anyone tried " Bone Suckin"? "Best of the West?", they go for 8.95, and 6.95 over here!

I'll tell you guys what, I have never liked any commercial barbecue sauce even since I was a kid. I have always and still am partial to micro-sauces, locally bottled in small quantities. Those are the best and some of you know because you make them!

Any of you try Big Ricks? not to bad its a good sauce and it grows on you.. if I'm buying store sauce its Sweet Baby Rays. I agree KC Masterpiece is crap, used to be pretty good stuff.

I know that a lot of you are pretty critical of it, but I really like Blues Hog on ribs. For pulled pork, I like Latham's Vinegar based BBQ sauce. My buddy that owns a local reteraunt showed me how to make this orange-chipotle -vinegar sauce that is dynomite on brisket.

Let's see, in no particular order:

Blues Hog original- great on ribs
Blues Hog Tennessee Red- great on pulled pork
Bone Suckin' Sacue- Really sweet, but really good on a lot of stuff
Williamson Bros. Sauce- Good on ribs and Deer Tenderloin
Cattleman's- OK for store bought, better than kraft and KC Masterpiece IMO
Sweet Baby Ray's Original- Good on ribs

Gates is not all that, they sell it bottled at bbq's galore also. I like the apple city bbq sauce from the mike mills book. You can doctor it up pretty good.:razz:

The Apple City
With the Grated Apple & Grated onion, doesn't it get a grainy texture?
I was going to try that one next.

Back