Questions about techniques of the top KC BBQ Places

RemoGaggi

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
RemoGaggi
I just got back a fun trip with 4 others to KC where we did our best to try the top BBQ joints. We tried a few others, but our favorites were Joes KC BBQ, Q39, and Slaps BBQ.

With regards to the pork ribs, the texture, smokiness, and moisture of all three of these was superior and obviously at the highest levels of cooking/technique. I'm wondering if anyone has any insights on what techniques they are using - temp, time, wrapping, type of wood, etc.

Also, some of the best brisket and burnt ends we had were from Q39. I've seen on youtube that the owner says he does gets his briskets done in 6-8 hours at 225 degrees. How can this be? Is it the commercial Southern Pride smokers he uses?

The brisket and burnt ends from Joes and Slaps was similarly outstanding and I'm wondering if anyone knows any specifics on how they are cooking their briskets and if they are also using commercial smokers.

Just trying to learn how these folks are making magical meats.

To get brisket done at 225 that quick, I would guess they would have to be steaming or braising it in the smoker somehow, or after it smokes for 6-8 hours it is going into a holding oven for quite a bit longer. That is actually a part of Franklin’s process many people miss.

Back several years ago (10+) I used to work for a pool company that did the maintenance on the Stehney's (owner of Joe's KC) pool... I used to talk to Jeff quite a bit while we were working (he also raised horses) and I honestly never thought to think about talking BBQ, let alone infringing on cooking "secrets," with him... though his outdoor kitchen was AMAZING.

Joe's is the best hands down. I was eating lunch there one day and I kept noticing a manager wandering around the dining room watching the line, counting tables etc, so I asked as he passed by what he was doing. He stopped and basically gave me a dissertation on how they run their restaurants, and I was floored at how efficient they are during busy service times. They have line times down to a science.

I kept asking questions and started to ask specific BBQ questions and said "hey do you want to go to the back and see our smokers" I was like HELL YES! They do in fact use southern pride smokers, no wrapping and oak wood. Now, I've been told in the past by another employee they specifically use white oak from southern missouri. The guy opened the door on the smokers and the amount of ribs in that thing was astounding! He said they like oak do to it's lighter smoke profile and they want the rub and meat quality to stand out more than the smoke.

For me it's how they tie all their flavors together no matter what your eating there. For example, their french fry seasoning is a couple of their rubs mixed together then you dip those in the sauce...it's heaven. It's a great place to eat and their staff is great! I would recommend it to anyone without hesitation.

Heck you should have asked Rob(Q39) or either Mike or Joe Pearce(Slaps), they are down home guys and would have loved to talk BBQ. Send them a e-mail, I bet they answer.

All of the places he listed are some seriously good Que... makes me glad to live in Kansas City, as I get to visit all these places on a regular basis...

Honestly amazes me that chains like Dickey's, Famous Dave's, and Bandana's can even attempt to get a foothold in the market.

I've been a KC Joe's fan since when it was OK Joe's. It was the de facto. Then.... Spring of 2018 I was introduced to Q39. If anyone can duplicate their chicken, ribs, brisket, or pork, please let me know. I know people that will pay money to learn that craft! Wow! Simply unbelievable.

I love Joes ribs, burnt ends, and sandwiches but I can never enjoy their brisket slices. Sometimes I think they are just flat out bad. Never had anything bad at Q39, I have to get the judges plate each time.

All of the places he listed are some seriously good Que... makes me glad to live in Kansas City, as I get to visit all these places on a regular basis...

Honestly amazes me that chains like Dickey's, Famous Dave's, and Bandana's can even attempt to get a foothold in the market.

Right? That dickeys is close to my house, I pass it all the time. I think I stopped in there twice and just ordered sides, though their jalapeno sausage isn't horrible. And my favorite part of Bandanas is their "smell that smoke" on the sign...and I ALWAYS roll my windows down as I pass, and have never smelled anything. You can smell Jack Stack before you can see the place.

the rib I had at Joe's is one of my top food experiences ever. Perfect tenderness and a wonderful flavor in the glaze that I cannot figure out what it was.

Back