Please inform me of my misunderstanding please

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Last night i made some chili rojo with pork butt cut up and cooked for a couple of hours. The pork is completely cooked. Here is my issue. i left it out over night, well just about 2 cups cuz i couldnt find room in the fridge. My mom says i should throw it away especially because it is pork. I said i could boil it for 15 minutes to kill anything if there in fact IS anything that grew. I know that a fridge slows down the process of bacteria growth (polio was this way) but it was only out for 12 hours or less.

What am i missing?

thanks guys

Listen to your mama. It's only 2 cups, and if you (or anyone else) gets sick in the next
month it will because you didn't listen to her.

If mama's not happy no one is happy.
Fred

Listen to your mama. It's only 2 cups, and if you (or anyone else) gets sick in the next
month it will because you didn't listen to her.

If mama's not happy no one is happy.
Fred

ok, will do. But i would like to know why. SHouldnt boiling it kill anything. Im not doubting. im interested in learning because i like to learn

thanks fred

dude throw it out. listen to yo momma boy. 4 hours is about max. also boiling stuff isnt a fool proof way of getting rid of bacteria, handling the food properly is. The thing that cracks me up on this forum is everyone is so up on what the holding temps are and what the proper temp for this and the proper temp for that. i would love for someone to start a pole on proper cooling methods instead of holding temps. considering 90% of the people here can use that info more than holding temp info. Look it up. 2 STAGE COOLING METHOD!!!

Heating will kill bacteria, but not the toxins they poop in to the food.

whoa hey, back up...

So boiling it will kill the bacteria but not the toxins? How does that work. Crap, now i need to sign up for a chemistry class. That is very interesting to know.

dude throw it out. listen to yo momma boy. 4 hours is about max. also boiling stuff isnt a fool proof way of getting rid of bacteria, handling the food properly is. The thing that cracks me up on this forum is everyone is so up on what the holding temps are and what the proper temp for this and the proper temp for that. i would love for someone to start a pole on proper cooling methods instead of holding temps. considering 90% of the people here can use that info more than holding temp info. Look it up. 2 STAGE COOLING METHOD!!!

Go right ahead, I'm sure you'll get some responses.

Pizza with sausage and mushrooms left out overnight.

Did you take a HACCP course? If you did you should know that boiling does take care of the bacteria, but NOT the toxins. The toxins is what makes you sick or can kill. If I was in a restaurant I might use the 2 stage, but when I was I used an ice paddle. When you are vending its impractical to use the 2 stage. I take all meat from warming box and put in 2.5 gal baggies and layer them in my coolers with ice between. Course this time of year when the temps are in teens you can start by laying the bags on the table out of the sun. MOHO with 40+ years as a cert Chef

Did you take a HACCP course? If you did you should know that boiling does take care of the bacteria, but NOT the toxins. The toxins is what makes you sick or can kill. If I was in a restaurant I might use the 2 stage, but when I was I used an ice paddle. When you are vending its impractical to use the 2 stage. I take all meat from warming box and put in 2.5 gal baggies and layer them in my coolers with ice between. Course this time of year when the temps are in teens you can start by laying the bags on the table out of the sun. MOHO with 40+ years as a cert Chef

If the extreme heat kills the bacteria, it should kill the toxins. I dont see how it cant.

thanks

Toxins are chemicals...can't kill chemicals...ya ever shot bleach..it still cleans afterwards ;) not that I have ever.....

But yea...toxins are chemical by products not living cells therefore cannot be "killed" they will remain

The toxins are also released as a function of the bacteria dying. Toxins do not die, and cooking will only affect certain toxins, as heat can destroy certain chemical bonds, but, it can get pretty complicated if you start to get into the chemistry of it all. The important thing is to remember that food should be cooled and stored quickly.

If you really want to get into the chemistry of food, there are resources out there that can really explain the processes of decay and the organisms that lead to said decay. I can't see a reason to do that unless you really love science.

The toxins are also released as a function of the bacteria dying. Toxins do not die, and cooking will only affect certain toxins, as heat can destroy certain chemical bonds, but, it can get pretty complicated if you start to get into the chemistry of it all. The important thing is to remember that food should be cooled and stored quickly.

If you really want to get into the chemistry of food, there are resources out there that can really explain the processes of decay and the organisms that lead to said decay. I can't see a reason to do that unless you really love science.
I LOVE science. thats why i picked the major i did for school. haha

I was thinking that toxins were in organic and therefore not living. I would love to read about the chemical bonds of food and what heat does to some of them and what not landarc. however, since i am very in-experienced, i would not know what keywords to google.

I am very interested in the chemistry of it. i think my second post here said something about that.. maybe. haha

thanks

Back