THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So, if I cook a piece of meat, killing all of the bacteria, place it on a sterile surface at room temperature and leave it overnight, it would not be safe to eat the next morning?

No, after 3.5 to 4 hrs airborne bacteria, and the bacteria that may not have been killed by the cooking process will flourish and will emit toxins into the meat. Toxins penetrate deeply and fairly fast. Alot of people whom find mold on their cheese just cut it off and consume whats left of it, not knowing that it has toxins in whats left. And yes there are good molds in on on some brands of cheese.

jestridge made a good point, in America we're just too sanitized for our own good. Look what happens when Americans go to Mexico, they're blowin arse the entire trip. It's good to know what the health department wants as far as holding and cooling requirements simply as a legal matter to CYA. If some joker eats my food and gets sick it's not my fault, he's weak, I followed the guidelines. Now with that said, at my house, I leave food out all the time because I'm lazy. I still have shirts hanging in the garage that I washed three weeks ago. I'm a single guy that's how it is when you roll solo.

I attribute my ability to eat food that's been left out overnight (***ohhh scary***) from one single event that happened when I was a kid. My cousins and I were swimming in the irrigation canal behind my Uncles house down in central Ca, we had the dogs in there, having a ball. I remember seeing a big log coming towards us so we kept an eye on it as it approached. Once it got to us we moved out of the way to let it go by. Well it wasn't a log, it was a bull that fell in the water and died. Now most kids would have jumped out of that water and went crying to their mommies about the dead rotten animal in the water. Not us. We jumped back in, it gets hot in the friggin valley and we didn't have AC. Now I figure if I survived that without getting sick then I can take a little toxins in my food. My immune system loves a good fight! haha.

So long story short, I say if the food doesn't stink like it's bad then BON APPETITE (for me, not the public too many lawyers out there to take that chance). People worry too much. Especially moms.

10-4. Over. :p

So let me ask this. Dry aging beef produces mold on the meat. that mold is bacteria and according to this thread, bacteria produces toxins. Therefore dry aged beef has toxins in it.

If we are supposed to cool and store things as fast as possible, then how does bottling work. It takes up to 5 hours for some jars to cool off to room temp. Since the air is not sucked out of the jars at fast speeds, doesnt that leave room for some bacteria to grow and release toxins. Even once they are dead? from lack of o2?

jestridge made a good point, in America we're just too sanitized for our own good. Look what happens when Americans go to Mexico, they're blowin arse the entire trip. It's good to know what the health department wants as far as holding and cooling requirements simply as a legal matter to CYA. If some joker eats my food and gets sick it's not my fault, he's weak, I followed the guidelines. Now with that said, at my house, I leave food out all the time because I'm lazy. I still have shirts hanging in the garage that I washed three weeks ago. I'm a single guy that's how it is when you roll solo.

I attribute my ability to eat food that's been left out overnight (***ohhh scary***) from one single event that happened when I was a kid. My cousins and I were swimming in the irrigation canal behind my Uncles house down in central Ca, we had the dogs in there, having a ball. I remember seeing a big log coming towards us so we kept an eye on it as it approached. Once it got to us we moved out of the way to let it go by. Well it wasn't a log, it was a bull that fell in the water and died. Now most kids would have jumped out of that water and went crying to their mommies about the dead rotten animal in the water. Not us. We jumped back in, it gets hot in the friggin valley and we didn't have AC. Now I figure if I survived that without getting sick then I can take a little toxins in my food. My immune system loves a good fight! haha.

So long story short, I say if the food doesn't stink like it's bad then BON APPETITE (for me, not the public too many lawyers out there to take that chance). People worry too much. Especially moms.

10-4. Over. :p

Your one LUCKY dude. Thats exactly how my mom lost her pancreas. She went swimming in a irrigation ditch behind her house and a month or so later she was in the hospital and her pancreas was shutting down. They tested the water and found a virus in there that kills that organ. She has now been a type one diabetic since the age of 16. Since then, she decided to dedicate her life to medicine. She was on the team that installed the first heart transplant.

but yeah, your dang lucky man

Landarc will correct me if I'm wrong.....but mold isn't a bacteria...rather a fungus....and just like molds that make cheese what it is the mold that is"used" when ageing meats aren't your typical run of the mill fuzzy fridgerator molds

Thanks for the interesting information guys. I'll be tightening up my kitchen procedures a bit. Especially in regards to proper cooling.

Thanks for the interesting information guys. I'll be tightening up my kitchen procedures a bit. Especially in regards to proper cooling.

Indeed. And I'm going to stop bring bars of soap to the bar because apparently that isn't going to get me laid.

Landarc will correct me if I'm wrong.....but mold isn't a bacteria...rather a fungus....and just like molds that make cheese what it is the mold that is"used" when ageing meats aren't your typical run of the mill fuzzy fridgerator molds

Yeah thats confusing what i said. Let me say this to clarify. Ol timer stated this:

Alot of people whom find mold on their cheese just cut it off and consume whats left of it, not knowing that it has toxins in whats left.

so i was thinking that with some molds on meat, it could be bad cuz of the toxins. Beef does contain e-coal-i. haha. maybe ill send some dry aged beef to my uncles lab or better yet, my schools lab and see what it turns out to be. Its funny, we will take a bbq sauce to the chem engineers and have them reverse engineer it for us.

Why do I feel like your going to offer me a vast inheritance if I give you my bank account number ever time I read the title of this thread?

If you boil it (long enough) it will be perfectly safe to eat. The main bacteria to be concerned with after cooking rancid food is botulism. With this bacteria it is not the little buggers that make you sick it is their waste products.

...But boiling for a good period of time will denature the toxins left behind by botulism or any other bacteria.

Now, if it is old, rancid and has botulism you can boil it long enough to be safe. However it will no doubt taste something like vomit and fecal matter mixed.

If you are starving to death it might be recommended, if not. Chuck it.

1. _C. botulinum_ bacterium dies at 212 F/ 100 C.
2. _C. botulinum_ spores die at 240 F/ 116 C.
3. Botulism toxin denatures at 185 F/ 85 C.
**(All temperatures must be maintained for least 15 minutes, and the heat must be consistent throughout the food, fluid, and jar.)**
4. _C. botulinum_ spores cannot hatch in strong acid solutions of pH 4.6 or below. (Some sources claim pH 4.7.)
5. _C. botulinum_ cannot grow, develop, or multiply in food with a water content of less than 35%. (Food dehydrators have another set of toxic pests to worry about, see IV.6 about aflatoxin.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back