$500 Pits.

Smoked 60#'s of pork butts this past Friday for my neighbor's graduation party on the OC O/U. Everyone raved over the pulled pork. Much easier to maintain even temps then with the O/U firebox.

Wrangler went to Wrangler II - 14 guage But with a Price Drop to $299
Too Small for my liking tho.........

How will you compare the top three to the Old Country Smokehouse. Is it worth the additional $200.

How will you compare the top three to the Old Country Smokehouse. Is it worth the additional $200.

I prefer the smokehouse but I prefer verticals . They are all 14 gauge but the smokehouse size shape and design it’s more stout/sturdy. My second choice would be the over and under because it has pretty even temps.
Pecos would be my third choice - I would run a convection plate in a Pecos.
Longhorn would be my fourth choice - it is pretty comparable to the Pecos size and cooking wise but it is bolt together.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Another Option.......

GetchaOne of These: I would take the grillin' grate in top of firebox and put it on top of the firegrate.......firebox is welded on, legs and exhaust bolt on. I would run a water pan where the Home Depot sack is in 2nd to last Pic. it has lower grates in the cook chamber to use for grilling- I'd take 2 out and leave one for the water pan.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kingsfo...-Grill-Smoker-in-Black-SC2263901-KF/301159840

6h70yhIl.jpg

h67qDjhl.jpg

mkQaAMBl.jpg

1RgB9DSl.jpg

iQ0o1r8l.jpg

Another Option.......

GetchaOne of These: I would take the grillin' grate in top of firebox and put it on top of the firegrate.......firebox is welded on, legs and exhaust bolt on. I would run a water pan where the Home Depot sack is in 2nd to last Pic. it has lower grates in the cook chamber to use for grilling- I'd take 2 out and leave one for the water pan.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kingsfo...-Grill-Smoker-in-Black-SC2263901-KF/301159840

6h70yhIl.jpg

h67qDjhl.jpg

mkQaAMBl.jpg

1RgB9DSl.jpg

iQ0o1r8l.jpg

Looked at these a lil closer at HD today, fire box is Bolt On not Welded. They have a pretty decent fit n finish for a low mid grade pit.

Somebody get One and Report back to Us.......

In New $500 Readily Available Store Bought Stick Burners you have 4 Choices:

1. "Ok Joe" at Lowes n Walmart - $429-$449.
2. Old Country Pecos - Academy $399.
3. Old Country Wrangler - Academy $499.
4. Old Country Over n Under - Academy $499.

I have cooked on 1,2 n 3 in the last year and half. They all cooked about the same. None had Mods. I used cookie sheets and foil water pans under the grate on FireBox Side. 1 and 2 are Basically the Same (Size, Gauge, Look) 3 is heavier Gauge on the Doors but Smaller. 4 I have not cooked on but I look at them every Academy Trip. I don't need it cuz I have a PatchWork Bandera. I wish someone local to me would get one so I can cook on it. I would Help them with the Tweaks too.

So if you are in the MKT for a $500 Stick Burner go look at ALL and make up your Mind. I don't see Nuttin wrong with buying any of them.

You High End Pit Owners need to remember the Days of cooking on the cheaper pits because that's what you could afford or was willing to Spend and STOP comparing your $1000-$1500-$2000-$2500 Pits to $500 Pits. That's just Stupid, UnFair and you could be Discouraging a Guy that $500 is All his has to spend on a Pit and it IS a Big Purchase for him. All 4 of those Pits can put out some Good Q - I know cuz I done it. Yes they will burn some Wood but not near as Much as the $200-$250 COS Pits. If one took care of the above Pits Id say they are 10 yr Pits.

Once I get my BadAzz Muscrat Pit in future I will still Look at the Mid Grade Pits and recommend or review them for the Newbs and Average Joes ( like me) for Who $500 is a Big Purchase.

Many will say keep saving and get the so n so Small Backyard model for $850-$1000 but for some Folks the Difference tween $500 and $900 is 1 Yr., for some it's 2 yrs. Some guys can swing $900 but don't want to. MANY Kitchen Passes Cap at $500.

A $500 rig will come close to cooking as well as you do.

2 years ago I built a stacked Open Pit, and smoked and grilled on it for a year.
That year taught me the importance of keeping an eye on the meat on the grill. It was generally about as good or as bad as you made it.
My impression from smoking in a pit for a year, is that I loved it.
I no longer have that pit, I tore it down. (Wife's request...) I would like to build another slightly larger, and under a shed like my last.

I have a buddy who is a very good BBQ man, and he makes some quality Q
on a Oklahoma Joe.
IT'S NOT THE PIT, IT'S THE PIT BOSS THAT PRODUCES GOOD 'Q'

I'm gonna say something here that may ruffle a few feathers. I've cooked on a lot of offsets including the Cadillac of pits the Shirley Fab. My O/U cooks as good as the Shirley I cooked on at the Texas bash. It is the most even temped offset pit you can get for the $. The O/U is very easy to maintain temps the reason is the fire box size it's 2/3 the volume of the main so it breaths well. I have been preheating my splits in the box & not on it because there is plenty of room inside. It's a unique design in that the heat & smoke are channeled into the main up through a duct then turned down to the bottom of the main. The octagonal shape circulates it across the bottom up the front across the grates then out the stacks creating lots of convection. The smoke flavor produced is the cleanest I've tasted from an offset due to the draft that this pit has, it really moves the air. I'll never go back to a traditional offset again

BluDawg lost his in a House fire a while back.......spends most his time over the road truck driving but says he'll get another someday........ :heh:

5 years later and the Pecos is still the same price. Makes it an even better deal with inflation.

5 years later and the Pecos is still the same price. Makes it an even better deal with inflation.

when steel prices jumped 1.5- 2 yrs Ago - tariffs n all - Everbody raised their Prices 15-20% - Alejandro refused to..... I told him 10-15% increase would be Easily Reasonable but he said " Nope - Average Working man ain't getting 10% raises." I've seen the some of the prices he gets from Academy - he Ain't getting Rich - he's Lives Comfortable but considers Himself an Average Working Man - He's a Good Dude......... :thumb:

Last edited:
when steel prices jumped 1.5- 2 yrs Ago - tariffs n all - Everbody raised their Prices 15-20% - Alejandro refused to..... I told him 10-15% increase would be Easily Reasonable but he said " Nope - Average Working man ain't getting 10% raises." I've seen the some of the prices he gets from Academy - he Ain't getting Rich - he's Lives Comfortable but considers Himself an Average Working Man - He's a Good Dude......... :thumb:

Has there been any word on the gravity feed that Old Country was supposed to have at Academy? I've been keeping an eye out for them.

Has there been any word on the gravity feed that Old Country was supposed to have at Academy? I've been keeping an eye out for them.
They are supposed to be in limited stores now. It looks like Academy will ship them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Academy did an initial order of 30 Units for a test Run - see if they Sell. 14 stores -

Update from Old Country : GetChaOne.!

This is the list of the Academy stores that will carry the first 30 GF smokers.

#009 UVALDE
#021 HUMBLE
#024 WACO
#031 TOMBALL
#032 WEBSTER
#039 N.W. MILITARY
#062 W. MONROE
#070 ABILENE
#114 KILLEEN
#115 ROSENBERG
#117 SPRINGFIELD
#141 N FT WORTH
#222 DENHAM SPRINGS
#239 CYPRESS

they Are on Academy's website Now........ https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ol...ity-fed-charcoal-smoker#repChildCatid=8037502

I LOVE Mine...... :heh:

Last edited:
Academy di an initial order of 30 Units for a test Run - see if they Sell. 14 stores -

Update from Old Country : GetChaOne.!

This is the list of the Academy stores that will carry the first 30 GF smokers.

#009 UVALDE
#021 HUMBLE
#024 WACO
#031 TOMBALL
#032 WEBSTER
#039 N.W. MILITARY
#062 W. MONROE
#070 ABILENE
#114 KILLEEN
#115 ROSENBERG
#117 SPRINGFIELD
#141 N FT WORTH
#222 DENHAM SPRINGS
#239 CYPRESS

they Are on Academy's website Now........ https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ol...ity-fed-charcoal-smoker#repChildCatid=8037502

I LOVE Mine...... :heh:

Thanks for the link! It looks solid.

Back