"Return of the McRib" BBQ Brethren Throwdown

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Police_MC_RIB.jpg

Whether you think the McRib is BBQ nirvana or no better than styrofoam, the McRib is apparently set to make its return to all McDonalds stores across the USA on November 2nd, the first time it has been released nationwide in 16 years (read this story for more info). It is set to run for about 6 weeks or so. It will probably disappear as mysteriously as it has appeared and disappeared in stores since it was first released to an unwitting public back in 1981 (Yeah, I had to look that up).

Since we have not had a "Throwdown Special" in over 3 months, I thought you farkers could use a fun time. Yeah, I could have picked "Halloween" or something, but be honest, can anything be as equally "fun" and "scary" at the same time as the McRib? Some would even say tasty, much like those little candies all you kiddies get this time of year. So the McRib fits the Halloween theme if you ask me.

The winner will receive a prize. I do not yet know what this prize will be. I will decide later. You will like the prize. Then again, maybe you won't. But you'll get one either way.

Since this is a "Special" Throwdown, the rules are slightly different from a regular Throwdown. Please read these rules below before entering.

These are the rules for the "Return of the McRib" BBQ Brethren Throwdown:

1. Your dish must be either inspired by the McRib, or made from actual McRibs (if you are lucky enough to find one). You have a great deal of creative leeway here. For the works that are inspired by the McRib, you do not necessarily have to make a sandwich, you could make some sort of rib shaped meat patty if you so desire. Just so long as any reasonable person (in this case me) can determine that your entry is reasonably inspired by a McRib, or can see evidence that your dish was actually made from McRibs, then you are good. If not, then I reserve the right to disqualify an entry that has nothing to do with the McRib.

2. The item must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or feature Grilled or Smoked ingredients in a prominent manner. This means you can not enter a McRib sandwich as it comes from McDonalds. As we all know, that product is not grilled or smoked in any way.

3. Submitted dishes must be cooked between the moment this Throwdown is posted, until a later date when this Throwdown ends. The exact date will remain unannounced. This Throwdown will just suddenly end, much like the way McDonalds mysteriously releases and then ends McRib offerings at various stores.

4. All pics (any number) must be submitted within 24 hours from the time the Throwdown ends. So when the Throwdown ends, you can no longer cook your item, but you have 24 hours left to get your pictures uploaded.

5. You can make multiple entries into this Throwdown if you like. Just like at a bash, I would not expect people to share only one dish, but any number of dishes they would like to share.

6. You are allowed to touch up your photos for clarity, or to add the dish/item to a more interesting background if you like.

7. By posting your photos, you are granting consent for your photo to be reused for other BBQ Brethren related postings or materials.

8. Any joke photos, or photos of past creations you wish to show off must have a disclaimer stating that the photo is not intended to be included in the Vote thread.

9. If you have any problems with any of the entries, believing them not to be qualified for any reason, DO NOT COMPLAIN TO ME! Instead, please use the ***VOTE*** thread and exercise your power of voting against those entries. Any complaints posted in any Throwdown thread, or directed to me via any other means will be ignored.

10. If I find an entry to have violated these simple rules, I reserve the right to disqualify that entry.

11. As at any neighborhood block party, the kids are present and part of the festivities, so please keep your posts family friendly.

12. Since this is a virtual online bash, I expect everyone to have fun, but also remember there are kids around. Anyone caught not having fun will be asked to leave until they are fun again.

Best of luck, and even better eats to all!:cool:

Last edited:
What a GREAT idea! How did you ever think of it? :p :idea: :boxing: :becky:

What a GREAT idea! How did you ever think of it? :p :idea: :boxing: :becky:
It's possible that a certain individual, who may or may not wish to remain anonymous, sent me a PM suggesting this very idea. Now, this anonymous individual may be someone you know, but I am pretty sure you have never moderated any of this individuals posts.:wink:

Oh, some of you may be really wanting an idea of how long you have to enter something in this Throwdown, especially since it will end without notice, sometime in the future.

This Throwdown will be open for perhaps a few weeks.:heh:

That's as good of a hint as I am going to give you. You should have plenty of time to think of something, then prepare it, so don't worry about that.:thumb:

This will be good.... I cant enter, but I'm looking forward to this one!

This will be good.... I cant enter, but I'm looking forward to this one!

Why can't you enter? You can still cook something inspired by the McRib even if you can't buy one in Australia (unless there is some other reason).

Unfortunately, I can't do my first idea yet since there are no McRibs sighted in my area according to the McRib Locator. I'll have to check back every few days I guess, or come up with something different.

I thought McRibs were available every year around NFL season and ending after the playoffs. At least, that's the case here. Nasty little buggers.

Yessssssssss!!!! The McRib Locator says there was a sighting in Oakland a couple weeks back!! Maybe I'll swap my weekly visit to PhatMatts BBQ with a trip to MickeyDees. Landarc, are you in???

It's my opinion that the "mystery date" start and stop for the McRib is entirely dependent upon the availablity of the "mystery meat" they use to assemble a McRib patty... for some reason, McDonalds gets the short end of the stick when it comes to mystery meat supply... however, Taco Bell has demonstrated that they have access to a lifetime supply of MEEF.

What I'm trying to say is "I'M IN!!!" :wacko: :mrgreen:

Yessssssssss!!!! The McRib Locator says there was a sighting in Oakland a couple weeks back!! Maybe I'll swap my weekly visit to PhatMatts BBQ with a trip to MickeyDees. Landarc, are you in???
Um, no. I will meet you at Phat Matt's after you get your McRib. Can't we make our own McRib by instituting the NOSKOS rule?

Um, no. I will meet you at Phat Matt's after you get your McRib. Can't we make our own McRib by instituting the NOSKOS rule?

Yes, we could make our own but to make a proper homage to the original sadly I must taste one - I haven't had one since the early 90s and haven't tried one since they started using Shmoo Scraps.

I go the extra mile for Throwdowns.

attachment.php

I understand that these are an Australian delicacy. That they in fact only occur off of Australia and their ingestion is a primary cause of drinking in Melbourne.

Back