• Other

Votes: 37 69.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering what the favorite categories for the non-KCBS standards were.

Please answer the poll and feel free to post.

Poll One

Fruit
Dessert
Other (meaning other specific Dessert type item)

*Polls will follow regarding other specific categories (ie. Steak vs. Beef or Fish vs. Shellfish)

Last edited:
I picked other, primarily because it just sort of personally drives me crazy when cheesecake (that had nothing to do with on site BBQ set up and prep) wins the dessert category.

We haven't really been doing the 'other' catergories anyway, so take my answer with a grain of kosher salt.

I like anything butt, but when it is done, I wish it was more defined by the promoter, i.e. seafood, tri-tip.... I chose dessert because it is a "define" category.

other, depending on what other categories are offered, fish is nice.. we did clams this year, i thought it worked out well but the judges disagreed, <g>

For a 4th category I love a wide open chef's choice, open garnish, anything goes.

For a 4th category I love a wide open chef's choice, open garnish, anything goes.
In your view, does it have to be cooked on site? That is where the "opens" get to me?

I'd like to add to the options.

Chefs Choice
Dessert
Chili
Sausage

FRUIT IMHO is just plain old lame. Either make it DESSERT, or make it OPEN FRUIT meaning let the chefs use some creativity, but a farking grilled apple, peach, or pineapple slice gets old quick.

i agree with poobah
I'd like to add to the options.

Chefs Choice
Dessert
Chili
Sausage

FRUIT IMHO is just plain old lame. Either make it DESSERT, or make it OPEN FRUIT meaning let the chefs use some creativity, but a farking grilled apple, peach, or pineapple slice gets old quick.

I choice other.... I usually do not do the optional categories.... as I too have seen too much store bought stuff brought in and win.. where is the real make it there competition.... I do the four KCBS categories and let it go at that.

I'm not a big fan of dessert categories although I know they are a judges favorite.

From my experience, when dessert is a category, too many teams are submitting pre-purchased cakes/pies/pastries etc. It really ruins it for those who actually spend time under less than ideal conditions preparing dessert on site.

Same goes for sauce category with some just pouring our from a bottle vs. those making on site from scratch

I know that there are no guarantees in either case as to which will win.

I think Chef's Choice is a great category or Pizza or I I also liked what I saw at BBQ on the Farm/River where they do an Iron Chef. Every team gets a bag of three ingredients and all teams have to work with them for the turn in

Or how about a stuffed baked potato ?

I chose other. For exanple, in Lebanon Tn this year they had a what's your beef open catergory, any cut of beef you would like to use...any garnish you would like. Put mine(6 individual pieces, as per there instructions) on a bed of grits diablo with some other '"garnishes". I just feel it gets the creative side going. Could be beef, seafood, or whatever, just as long as the rules are clearly defined.

Edit: Sorry Motoeric, just saw the asterick at the bottom of your post.:roll:

Now THIS idea is one I would go for.

That would be a blast.

I can't understand dessert. It doesn't have to touch a grill in any way, shape or form? Shouldn't that be a baking contest?

That would be a blast.

I can't understand dessert. It doesn't have to touch a grill in any way, shape or form? Shouldn't that be a baking contest?

Call it what you will, but we "baked" this monkeybread in a Weber Kettle at BBQ on the Farm sitting just over the grate sitting in a bunt pan on top of bricks.. I had no clue what monkeybread was, it was Sean's recipe and we had a blast making it from scratch. We placed pretty well, but I saw a lot of desserts that looked straight out of a box including donuts (not sure how you cook that in a kettle !!).

Last edited:
I voted other

I would like to see a cevapcici(pronounced che-vap-chi-chi) category.(croatian sausage) :biggrin:

I would like to see a catagory "Polish Food".

Its hard to beleive that people are submitting store bought or pre made items, I think which ever catagory is offered, there should be some stipulation that the items must be fully prepared on site.

I like Poobah's "Open Fuit" idea.

I know my teenage boys (my harshest judges) get real excited when they see me start preparing fruit for the grill, and by the time I'm done it usually involves a few fruits, one grilled, one as a topping sauce, one fresh, and some freshly whipped cream. Garnish with a mint leaaf or two and the kids are eating healthy and thinking its a treat.

Back