OK...I'm nervous....first cook off, family thing.

kik_start

Full Fledged Farker
I am nervous and worried and need help or guidence....

I'm in a cook off with my sister next weekend (plan has been in place for 5 months).

Menu is brisket. (judged anyway)

I've got some briskets and have an OK plan I think...but what could put me over the top?

Keep in mind...her back yard and her friends....about 60-70 people and all will put their name in the hat.

problem...first cook on a UDS! ( I have to....beat her with a home made smoker) LOL
next problem is she has home field advantage! Plates will not be seen but won't they know her cooking?

advise or HELP welcome!

thinking about cooking tomorrow just for practice....LOL

I am nervous and worried and need help or guidence....thinking about cooking tomorrow just for practice....LOL

Best advice right there.

I have learned to never try a new smoker (or process) for a group without doing a few or at least one trial run. Good Luck!

I don't think we are cooking anything other than Brisket...every one else is bringing the sides....but they are going to do the judging...

It's your sister just have fun.

tust me...this is serious... I do intend on the win....here is a picture i just sent her! LOL

DSC_0143.jpg

I just set some stuff out I think I'll practice on...should be ready for a very early morning cook on Sunday...right?

DSC_0135.jpg

I have never been able to cook a good rib but this place has given me new HOPE! LOL

So is she smoking it? Braising it? Or do you not know what her game plan is? By knowing what she is going to do, we can help you with your plan. Like you said though, nothing will do more for you than practice. What specifics do you have that we can use?

So is she smoking it? Braising it? Or do you not know what her game plan is? By knowing what she is going to do, we can help you with your plan. Like you said though, nothing will do more for you than practice. What specifics do you have that we can use?

yes, we are both going to do a smoke.

Then we a person other than us will bring out each of our plates from the kitchen...so there shouldn't be anyone know who cooked what plate....(maybe)... I still think she will have home field advantage.

I've bought two whole briskets and they have been ageing for a little while in the basement fridge....

I was planning a marinade starting on wednesday, start my smoke on Friday around 9 pm...and serve food around 5 pm saturday...I will let rest no less than three hours. (if everthing is as planned) LOL

If she is experienced with smoking, do what you can do and enjoy. I would think normal comp. thinking would rule. Go for a big flavor and great bite, inject if that is what you know. Most of all, unless you cook best when freaking out, just have fun.

I just keep telling myself to keep it simple. Trust the UDS when the temp it right and let it ride! 8)

(if everthing is as planned) LOL

Rule #1: Nothing ever goes as planned!

Sounds to me like your sis has all of the advantages, home field, friends, guessing this isn't her first brisket either. Whatever happens have fun and if you get beat then just use it as a motivation to practice sooner and get better for next time! Good luck.

When it comes to family it's not like cooking against friends don't buy into "just have fun". It all about "mom liked you best" or "you ruined my 8th birthday" or "I told you not to tell her I liked her". You need to eliminate anyone who has had her brisket before, they will know. If all else fails call mom and tell her your sister is cheating.

I'm thinking.... Sabotage....:twisted:

Go on ... come to the Dark Side of the Smoke... On that day, it's your only hope :shock:

yeah this is just for fun...and it'll be just that.

I do want to win though... I'm just a little nervous because The UDS

I'll fire it up and see how it cooks and go from there.

The drum is your least worry. It will rock. Just remember its done when its done regardless of what a probe may say. Keep it simple and use Funks tri level rub.

Where's the party? Ill bring over the kids and vote for your sister :)

Back