Sous Vide Appreciation Thread!

Remember to be over 130degrees if doing longer than a 4 hour cook with beef. Most people recommend 131 for the lowest on 4h+ beef cooks. 130 is close to bacteria growth.

1.5-2 hours will be fine. The only thing that will change if you have it in too long (4+ hours at least?) is the texture will become mealy, too soft which is offputing to some. Remove, pat dry, season, high sear 30-60secs a side.

Anova One's are all sold out on Amazon. My wife just missed out on a great deal for me for Fathers Day.

Looking at the one on the Anova website - how do the models differ?

Anova One's are all sold out on Amazon. My wife just missed out on a great deal for me for Fathers Day.

Looking at the one on the Anova website - how do the models differ?

Pretty sure the ones on Amazon were the previous model and the only thing I think that was different was that the older models don't have the bluetooth pairing capability.

The ones directly from Anova are the newer models.

HEY QUESTION for anyone that's used these before....

I was reading the operation manual last night and it said that the water as well as the cooking container get hot and that marble and corian don't do well with the heat. I have a granite countertop.

I don't think it's a HUGE deal, but based on the video on the website and the fact that I've seen so many people use plastic containers to cook in, I didn't think it would be an issue to set up on the counter top to cook.

I wonder if this is just one of those CYA things that they put in there as a ...... well ..... CYA?

Thoughts?

Tricky..
This seems to be about it.......
Precision :more compact, better clip, bluetooth 800w
Anova one : 1400w (?) non adjustable clip, no Bluetooth and no longer made.

Pretty sure the ones on Amazon were the previous model and the only thing I think that was different was that the older models don't have the bluetooth pairing capability.

The ones directly from Anova are the newer models.

The older model is more powerful than the newer one and the new one has BT and is weaker and the new one has a different clamp I think. I really don't see any benefit to BT on this type of device. Does anyone??

If worried about heat on the countertops just put it on a pot holder. But I thought very high heats were damaging to those products.

The older model is more powerful than the newer one and the new one has BT and is weaker and the new one has a different clamp I think. I really don't see any benefit to BT on this type of device. Does anyone??

If worried about heat on the countertops just put it on a pot holder. But I thought very high heats were damaging to those products.

From what jakel said, that seems to be about it.

I wonder why they went down in wattage?
Maybe they figured they didn't need the extra power? Trying to be more efficient?

Hmmmm.....

I agree with 130F. I've been bumping beef temps up as much as 5 degrees as a compromise with my wife and daughter. That's the ONLY negative that I've found with sous vide, is that I can't get different levels of doneness on my steaks like I can on the grill. However, as much as I like medium-rare to rare, I'd rather have a perfectly cooked (throughout) medium to medium-rare steak. But now that I just bought my second Anova, I'll just use both at different temps on steak nights. Of course I'll still have to compromise on roasts, since I'm not normally going to cook two at the same time for just the three of us.

I've been cooking my wife's steaks to medium, chilling them and then cooking mine to med rare (really closer to rare) and reheating her when mine are close to done. It's worked out well
Fortunately, steak doneness is one thing my wife and I agree on, but when we have guests who want less rare, Ron's way is the way I do it too.

Quote from CakeMix:
"If worried about heat on the countertops just put it on a pot holder. But I thought very high heats were damaging to those products."
High heat can be, but I do not think the heat levels generated by the Sous Vide process are THAT high. Under 200 degrees, mostly a lot less. I use the Anova on my granite countertops with no worry, mostly in insulated coolers, but also in stainless steel stockpots.
Now, a pan from a 450 degree oven, no, that I am not setting on the counter.

Is it as important to pull it at 90 minutes, or will it be okay to shoot for 1.5-2 hours? Do you take it straight out of the package and serve it, or try and add a little texture to the outside of the chicken? Thanks for the help!

1.5-2 hours will be fine. The only thing that will change if you have it in too long (4+ hours at least?) is the texture will become mealy, too soft which is offputing to some. Remove, pat dry, season, high sear 30-60secs a side.

Yep... This.

Ron, your chicken and carrot plate looks absolutely stunning. Is that smashed roasted potatoes on there too?

Ron, your chicken and carrot plate looks absolutely stunning. Is that smashed roasted potatoes on there too?

Yeah. We call them Crash Hot potatoes. Yukon Golds that were baked, then smashed on an oiled baking sheet and drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper then baked at 425 until crispy on the outside.

Got my Anova One on Saturday, but haven't used it yet. Planning on my first sous vide Friday with a hangar steak, but might sneak in a chicken breast or pork loin for dinner tomorrow.

Went with a smaller, 12 quart Cambro as I have more non-sous vide uses for that size. I'll probably bump up to a bigger vessel at some point.

Question(s)- From the little reading I've done the packaging should not rest on the bottom. Is the clip the best solution? If clipped to the side of the Cambro should I worry about the bag resting against the side?

Yeah. We call them Crash Hot potatoes. Yukon Golds that were baked, then smashed on an oiled baking sheet and drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper then baked at 425 until crispy on the outside.
Thanks, I though so.
We do something similar. I have been using Baby Dutch potatoes, or small new red potatoes. Your's look delicious. I like your name for them.
I think I will borrow it if you do not mind.

Thanks, I though so.
We do something similar. I have been using Baby Dutch potatoes, or small new red potatoes. Your's look delicious. I like your name for them.
I think I will borrow it if you do not mind.

No worries :-D I think I got the name from The Pioneer Woman blog or TV show :-D

I'm cooking some filets right now with my Anova One. A little olive oil, onion powder, black pepper, unsalted butter and Hoisin sauce. Saw the recipe on a Youtube video so I figured I'd give it a try. Cooking at 131 degrees for two hours. Going to serve with marinated asparagus.

I started with hot tap water and it rose from 110 to 131 degrees quickly in the 12 quart container I'm using. I bought a lid for it and cut it to fit around the Anova One to help a little with evaporation.

Mine looks to be previously used.....

Well I'd say it works pretty dang good. Those little filets were melt in your mouth tender. I torched them afterwards but honestly I'm not a huge fan of flame grilled food, so I think next time I will just toss them on some cast iron. However the torch makes quick work of adding a sear - 15 seconds per side at the most. Quite a tasty dinner!

IMG_2548.JPG

IMG_2551.JPG

IMG_2552.JPG

IMG_2553.JPG

IMG_2554.JPG

IMG_2550.JPG

IMG_2556.JPG

IMG_2557.JPG

Thanks for the tip on the sale. I'm going to get a lot of use out of this thing. I already have more food already prepped for cooking tomorrow night and during the weekend.

I also got almost $22 back from Amazon tonight since I complained the unit wasn't new. So for around $85, I think this is a steal! :)

Back