Judges and burnt ends

Pappy Q

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Do you think the average judge outside of the Kansas City area understands and appreciates traditional burnt ends?

Do you think the average judge outside of the Kansas City area understands and appreciates traditional burnt ends?

Yes, even those they get in the pork turn in box.... :wacko:

Should they have to? If it's in the box, it gets judged, taste, tenderness and appearance. They don't need to know anymore than that, or am I missing this?

We did a non sanctioned event last year and cooked the driest, nastiest sawdust tasting brisket ever. We also threw some burnt ends in the box, cause we were making them, and they actually turned out pretty good.

Lo and behold, we took first place in brisket, which was the first time we'd even placed in brisker at that particular comp.

Ohhhhh yea. Judges in the fba look forward to them. As far as kcbs goes at the sams club in tampa Ilet my brisket get away from me and it got cooked to death. I could not even slice the flat it was bad dry and mushy. My burnt ends were stellar so on a last minute judgement call I decided to just turn in burnt ends. I ended up 11th in brisket with a 166.2860. Not the best or worst score. But 4 judges gave me all 8s and 9s with the other two not so much. Anyway all burnt ends and they loved them

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
As I judge, I *HATE* when they're served because I know what's coming, but I dutifully try them...and usually, they're just chunks of gristle. When they're not, usually the sliced brisket that is served with them tastes like shoe leather and I'm stuck trying to figure out how I should score decent burnt ends and sliced brisket where the cow obviously died in vain...

Lynn H.

As I judge, I *HATE* when they're served because I know what's coming, but I dutifully try them...and usually, they're just chunks of gristle. When they're not, usually the sliced brisket that is served with them tastes like shoe leather and I'm stuck trying to figure out how I should score decent burnt ends and sliced brisket where the cow obviously died in vain...

Lynn H.
remind me not to. compete where your judging. a judge should enjoy all four catogories or not judge at all.

I am not sure what a "traditional" KC area burnt end is. I think I do, I have always thought that the point was cubed after cooking and then sauced, returned to the pit for X amount of time then served. Whether that is correct or not, I don't know.

I have turned in what might be described as burnt ends, but I never seem to take the time to do the 2nd step, so I guess mine would not be a "traditional" one.

Are there different ways to do burnt ends? Do all BBQ Joints in KC area sauce them?

Lynn H.

This practice/philosophy is unaffectionately known as "judge six" :mmph:

I have a new rule when in comes to turning them in. We try them first, and if the reaction is anything less than "oh man thats good!" we leave em out.

My worst brisket finish ever. They did not like them. I've never won without them in the box though.

I agree, we werent out of the top ten last year in brisket, everytime had 8 slices, and 8 magnificent burnt ends (if they are not as good or better than the slices they dont go in the box) Last weekend the brisket was way better than anything i turned in last year and we got hammered... I was very surprised in the teams that did NOT get the calls that i thought would...

Like a good judge, I always try burnt ends when presented. I would estimate than in 90% of boxes when they are presented, the presence of burnt ends bring the scores down. Last weekend was one such case. The sliced product in the box was very good. Based on the sliced product alone, I would have considered giving the entry all 8's and 9's. But upon tasting the ends, I gave the box a 7 on taste because of the extreme smokiness of the presented pieces. By themselves, I would have given the ends a 5 and would write a comment card about the extreme smoky flavor.

I do think a cook is asking for low scores if they present burnt ends in places away from the midwest. I think they are an acquired taste that not everyone appreciates. In Texas and Louisiana, almost nobody presents burnt ends. Besides, in other sanctioning bodies like IBCA and so forth, you CAN'T present burnt ends anyway. My advice is leave then out and make your slices as good as they can be!

Pappy - Last week at Benton 3 of the 6 boxes that crossed my table had Burnt Ends in them. Although I really shouldn't call them that since they were no more than cubed brisket. All 3 had the same color and bark as the the slices. 2 of the 3 had a high fat content so I assume it came from the point but the other looked and tasted like it came from the flat.

In my mind Burnt Ends should be just that. Dark, crispy outside...burnt....moist, fatty inside.

So...I didn't score down for them but these teams didn't get any extra points for them.

Dave

remind me not to. compete where your judging. a judge should enjoy all four catogories or not judge at all.

I don't think thats what she meant. I believe the only part she "hates" is trying to decide how to score a box that has good slices and bad burnt ends or vice versa. Potentially you could have a sliced entry that would have scored perfect, but gets brought down because of tough gristly "burnt ends".

I think we need to come up with another name for them, because what most people are making, are neither burnt, nor from the ends of the meat.

I know that what I turn in aren't really "burnt ends", but "Melt in your mouth nuggets of caramelized beefy deliciousness" takes too long to say :rolleyes:

Back