Smoker on a small vending truck?

Panupat

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Can anyone experience with BBQ food truck give me some advice please? I want to try provide BBQ on weekends and festivals, but the space given to us during fairs and festivals aren't big at all so I really need to stay small. (I live in Thailand)

To give you an idea how small it is.

http://i0.wp.com/www.thaismescenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Suzuki-Carry.jpg?resize=660%2C440

There's not a whole lot of wiggling room as you can see. Do you think it'd be worth having a small smoker in it for ribs maybe? Or would it makes more sense to smoke everything in advance and only equip this thing with keep-warm ovens?

Last edited:
I was thinking about converting an old ice cream truck that's without freezers atm to vend at late night spots during the summer.so I would love to hear thoughts on this as well.

Can anyone experience with BBQ food truck give me some advice please? I want to try provide BBQ on weekends and festivals, but the space given to us during fairs and festivals aren't big at all so I really need to stay small. (I live in Thailand)

To give you an idea how small it is.

http://i0.wp.com/www.thaismescenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Suzuki-Carry.jpg?resize=660%2C440

There's not a whole lot of wiggling room as you can see. Do you think it'd be worth having a small smoker in it for ribs maybe? Or would it makes more sense to smoke everything in advance and only equip this thing with keep-warm ovens?

Wow...that is small. The good thing about ribs is they hold very well in a cooler with towels or blankets. It is not ideal, but I have held ribs in a cooler for 4 hours, maybe that is enough time for you to sell out.

Thanks Casey.

Im really leaning towards cooler now and probably a holding oven I can set temperature at 140-160. Probably safer too not having any raw meat on such a small truck.

Smoke in a proper kitchen, rest 10-15 minutes to cool down surface, wrap in food wrap, into the cooler. Once arrived on site, move the first batch into holding oven (with the wrap?) at 145. Perhaps have a propane sear station where I can do the final sauce grill before serving?

Successful BBQ Foodtruck

We have a Very successful BBQ FoodTruck that is going on it's 3rd year and does catering and very large (including KCBS) events all over New England! We do operate from a commercial Kitchen/Commissary which is required but have 4 commercial smokers that we can use.
The Foodtruck has a CookShack FEC 120 pellet smoker which we use for Butts, Briskets, Chicken, Ribs and sausage. The Big meats are cooked overnite the nite before an event, wrapped and put into hot hold early morning and Chicken & Ribs are loaded to cook while we are driving to the events. Onsite we once again wrap, pan and hothold the meats and put in the sausage. During the event we can cook another load (30 racks) of Ribs or more chicken as needed and have fresh product as the earlier batch runs out!
You're welcome to contact me if you want help moving forward!
Mike

Back