Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

This week is setting up to be a bust. Totally didn't think about what was going on this week when planning. It's the county fair and the town's biggest festival of the year downtown. Neither of which we're vending at. So restaurant traffic has been abnormally slow the past few days. Next year I need to make sure we're at one or both events to make up for the slowdown here. It's not that it's totally dead, but just not the non-stop madness we're used to.

We do have an event we'll be vending at all next weekend. The country's longest garage sale is going on right here on US-12 where the restaurant is, plus we're setting up the trailer down the road in another town, so we should be killing it and make up for this week.

Hey, you could use a break from the madness.

That's true, and kind of how I've been looking at it since I can catch up a bit. But not so good considering I just dropped about $15k on a concession trailer and smoker. :wacko:

That's true, and kind of how I've been looking at it since I can catch up a bit. But not so good considering I just dropped about $15k on a concession trailer and smoker. :wacko:
You're kinda new to this aren't you kid? :becky:

Take the break, they'll be back and wanting three slices of pickles now

Given what I've read so far, the smoker and trailer should pay for themselves in 8 to 12 months or less. That's a good ROI for the restaurant/catering biz.

You know you've officially become a restaurateur when you finally get a break and are upset about it. :thumb:

It's the county fair and the town's biggest festival of the year downtown. Neither of which we're vending at. ... Next year I need to make sure we're at one or both events to make up for the slowdown here.

Yes, a handful of big weekends like the local fair can pay off that trailer rig pronto. Good idea to really do your research to make sure you are thinking ahead to get event permits at all the annual and one time events that can drive your business - the fair plus everything else that has lots of people who have time to eat and will be hungry. Try to get to know the people running the events so you can figure out where the best traffic spots are for food :wink:

1st, let me say, that I am a newbie, have no desire to open a restaurant, and my experience regarding bbq'ing is limited to what I have done on my gasser(hot dogs, burgers, boneless chicken breast, etc.) and on my 40 year old kamado(mainly tri-tip). Let me say, reading this story has been INCREDIBLY enjoyable. It has kept me glued to my screen, and I can tell you, that is no easy feat. Jeremy, I am impressed, amazed, and humbled by your feat. I know that it is not a matter of IF you will succeed in this venture, but of how far you will go. I have a friend who talks about opening a mexican restaurant, and believes that it's all about the food, with no thought towards the other aspects of the business. My brother, who does some amazing bbq, has toyed with going into the catering side, because of all of the requests he gets for his que. He needs to read this story. I wsh nothing but the best, and wish that I could say that I will stop in for dinner, but Northern Nevada is a long way from Michigan. Suffice to say, I would be proud to wear your shirt, and will order one when they become readily available. Keep up the awesome progress, and maybe I'll see you at a competition here on the west coast.

I've followed this thread for awhile.

I'm curious do you consider this adventure in the black yet?

I've followed this thread for awhile.

I'm curious do you consider this adventure in the black yet?

I just handed the books over to an accountant last week. I should know soon. Just looking at basic weekly numbers, cash flow is positive. But factoring in all the initial outlay, unexpected expenses, etc. it will be interesting to see exactly where I stand.

So is the another Shirley residing in Michigan yet? Mine wants to know if it has a sibling in the area

For some reason, I thought you were an accountant, Jeremy.
Don't ask why, maybe your attention to detail.
For our friends who don't (YET) own their own
businesses - there is no such thing as being in the black until you die,
and they tally up the whole schmiel.
You hock your house. You gamble your retirement account.
You work 18 hour days for weeks on end. And Weekends.
You give your blood (oops thumb cut OW!)
life and soul to your business.

You have to be cutthroat,
aggressive, passive, and kindly at all times (?)

The thing that makes it all worth it is to have a satisfied client,
a repeat client, and you grow your name and reputation,
and then, yes you are in the black.

Thanks! Yeah I have no doubt week to week you are in the black just overall I'm curious.

Not that I have the cash to start up but wondering how long to recoup if possible.

Wonder if a Brethren relay would help??:thumb:

Now that's an interesting idea!

And here she is. So beautiful!

w8q5v9.jpg

104rmus.jpg

Lovely work. I see they are raising more chambers in the background.

Back