Black Betty - UDS Finally Finished

O

Old Hippie

Yep, that’s a PVC valve. $2.50 v/s $20. That’s $17.50 I had to spend on the other bling. It should be nothing but normal, ambient air at “room temperature” going through the valve and pipe. I will keep a hand on the PVC valve and pipe during the seasoning burn.
BlackBetty_0001.jpg

The charcoal basket is 12” diameter and 12” high. It will hold an 18 lb bag of Kingsford. After I experiment with cooking times, the height will probably be reduced to about 7”. It’s bolted 2-1/2” off the bottom of a galvanized oil change pan which has been “washed” in muriatic acid to remove the galvanization.
BlackBetty_0002.jpg

Yep, two hats; dome and flat. The flat lid fits so good that I have to ever so slightly persuade it to come off just using the handle. The dome lid is a Kingsford (Masterbuilt) and it also fits perfectly without any modification.
BlackBetty_0003.jpg

A little side table that folds.
BlackBetty_0004.jpg

BlackBetty_0005.jpg

BlackBetty_0006.jpg

First, got to do a little proctology. I’m going to slather on a layer of lard for the seasoning burn.
BlackBetty_0007.jpg

The chicken was a little “rubbery” for my liking. Guess the recipe that called for an eight day brine in WD40 was wrong.
BlackBetty_0008.jpg

BlackBetty_0009.jpg

Wing nuts on the rotisserie for easy removal, then put a magnet over the holes when not using it.
BlackBetty_0010.jpg

BlackBetty_0011.jpg

Guess it's 'bout time to "GET HER DIRTY!"

Man, you got a real beauty there!! Very nice indeed!

As for the chicken, all I can suggest is try a PB Blaster and Marvel Mystery Oil marinade next time, and cut the soak time down to 3 to 4 days... :biggrin:

WD-40 brine is a maximum of 4 days at ambient temp of 87 degrees for best results.Looks like all you questions were answered as the Black Betty turned out very purrrrty. :biggrin:

Check with Sledneck about that little chicken problem you have there....

Man that thing is a beaut. I think the chicken looks great! Next step, get it dirty..

Back