another WHICH SMOKER question...

B

Brandonnash

Looking at two different options for a new home smoker. Going against traditional wood and charcoal for ease of use. Don't want to have to baby sit the stuff while I'm at home if at all possible.

The larger version of...
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...r=52170&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

or

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...r=65492&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

I like the electric because I won't have to replace a propane tank every 2-3 times i do pulled pork or brisket, but it's a lot smaller, would probably only be able to do 2 decent size butts on there at a time.

The gas smoker would have to replace the propane tanks, but I could fit a lot more if needed. I would imagine around 6-8 good size butts at one time. And the gas smoker is $20 cheaper on sale now.

What to do?

I have the gas smoker and I can fit 6 butts In there,you dont use as much propane as you would think,I can cook on mine about 4 times at 6 to 7 hours at atime. On mine I need to at water to the pan every 3 hours.

Looking at two different options for a new home smoker. Going against traditional wood and charcoal for ease of use. Don't want to have to baby sit the stuff while I'm at home if at all possible.

The larger version of...
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...r=52170&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

or

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...r=65492&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

I like the electric because I won't have to replace a propane tank every 2-3 times i do pulled pork or brisket, but it's a lot smaller, would probably only be able to do 2 decent size butts on there at a time.

The gas smoker would have to replace the propane tanks, but I could fit a lot more if needed. I would imagine around 6-8 good size butts at one time. And the gas smoker is $20 cheaper on sale now.

What to do?

Forget both,to be honest,they both are poor smokers and will only cause you to come back here in 6 months or less asking the same question again.
Second, REAL Q is about the heat source, mainly wood and charcoal. Propane is not Q, its grilling, if thats the flavor you want buy a new grill, Sorry but its the truth.
If you dont want to babysit, but want real Q buy a wood pellet smoker like a Country Smoker, Traeger, or Fast Eddy. You can plug it in load it up with flavored pellets and have some AWESOME Q.
Just check into these you will be alot happier! Buy from a person that knows Q find a distributor of one of these smokers,seriously doubt that Bass Pro will be able to help with any problems other then having you send it back to the factory and not know when they will send it back.Save yourself some time, money and headaches and buy a pellet smoker.

Adding to this...Price is an issue. Looking at $200 and under. I live on a modest government worker salary with a wife and 3 kids. Will upgrade later if I ever get into a business of my own. Questions about opening a restaurant later.

WSM, minion method good for 12 to 18 hours. 200 bucks, no problem!!! Can;t get better, I do believe, in that price/quality range. Scott

And again adding to this discussion, b/c I guess i was writing the same time that Bossman was writing his reply. Still have to spend $200 and under. Giving a little more background, this will be my third smoker. I have a Brinkman barrel type charcoal water smoker, a very small hondo junior charcoal smoker with offset firebox. Looking for more capacity and easier use. I've been smoking for years and enjoy it, but the wife doesn't like me "checking the temp" every half hour if we're doing housework. Love the flavor that charcoal gives, but I've also cooked on a friends large rotisserie trailer smoker that uses propane for the fuel. The first time cooking on it I turned out some of the best q I've ever done. That was doing more pork than I've ever cooked before (~200 lbs). Before cooking on it I was very concerned with the propane flavor, but I and no one else seemed to even notice. I was told by multiple people it was the best bbq they had ever had. This included a group from memphis that ate at all the big places down there.

Normally I just took the compliments from my family saying it was the best they had as friendly compliments, but after serving complete strangers and having things said like that, I'm not nearly as concerned with the "propane flavor".

Had thought about building one, but my workmanship isn't the greatest. Not sure I could throw one together.

the UDS are super simple to build. If you can use a drill and a pair of pliers you can make one. The burn times are unreal as is the ability to hold temps. one thing you might look into is a wireless thermometer. I have been smoking ribs all day from my easy chair.

Yeah, wireless thermometer is being bought with the smoker, if not sooner.

Have looked at the WSM. I know it cooks really well, my only concern being the capacity. I've seen people do several 4 lb butts on there at a time, but what about brisket or spareribs? And the minion method I'm not familiar with. Anyone have a link or know where I can find out about this?

The larger version of...

or

What to do?
Blasphemy!!!!
I'm outta here!:shock:

Have looked at the WSM. I know it cooks really well, my only concern being the capacity. I've seen people do several 4 lb butts on there at a time, but what about brisket or spareribs?

With rib racks you can get plenty of ribs in one. You usuall can get 2 smaller full briskets or multiple flats per tier on a WSM. If you want capacity go with a UDS.

Blasphemy!!!!
I'm outta here!:shock:

c-ya later. Sorry to offend, but pressing onward, there's a couple places up in nashville that sell the wsm. Might go and have a look tomorrow. Anyone on that minion method?

I would also recommend the WSM. It is super-easy and produces great Q. There is a ton of info about the WSM here: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

The Minion Method is when you fill the cooker with unlit charcoal and then dump a few lit coals on top. Adjust the intake vents properly and the fire will spread slowly and you will get a long, long burn. I can get about 14 hours with my WSM. No babysitting involved!

Poobah and I did our competition brisketts and butts on two seperate wsm's. A WSM should easily hold 2 full briskets. or four 8 pound butts or 8-10 racks of ribs if using stackers. some have added a third rack to them. Also look at the BBQ pro whatever it is, like a weber only taller. Here in NY state. But I;d go with the weber no doubt. Scott

Back