3rd comp boxes

• Thread starter Rick's Tropical Delight
  • Start date
R

Rick's Tropical Delight

here's my boxes from last weekend. (flash photos inside the rv)
you be the judge.

ohiovetcomp09-010.jpg

888 999 898 977 877 887 8th

ohiovetcomp09-015.jpg

889 877 998 788 999 899 5th

ohiovetcomp09-017.jpg

866 978 888 988 978 899 11th

ohiovetcomp09-021.jpg

888 868 966 976 877 988 25th

9th overall of 42. :biggrin:

The chicken and ribs looks great

Pork appearance scores were good.. I am a big fan of the large chunks.. Maybe only way to improve there with that layout was not have only bark showing on those two pieces. Makes the box a bit too dark and not as tasty looking.

Brisket looks good too.. Appears taste was a problem. My only thought on the brisket was that slices might be too heavily sauced. Nice bark though !!

Overall, great showing.. congrats !!!!

Great job! I'm completely new but I've never seen a pork entry quite like that. Have you gotten better scores with that over a more shredded look with some bark?

thanks, guys.

that was the first time i sauced pork and brisket for a comp and that was my best pork finish yet. i'm still new to comps so i'm kind of trying to figure out what to do. i was lucky to make all the turn-ins on time...

Nice job Rick & congrats on the calls - the calls do get addictive - Well at least that is what I have been told.

It was nice being setup next to you again this year - especially when the Boat Eggs came of the BGE. Thanks for the breakfast.

Ribs look good but I would guess you took the one on the right from a second rack. Try putting the odd bone on the side by itself next time. Seems to work. Brisket may have been a little too thick. All looks great. Congrats.

Look's really good Rick and congrats on the Top 10 finish. Try wiping down the edges of your box so judges can't tell you just spritzed the shine on the meat. And black isn't necessarily beautiful on pork and brisket. You picked some really nice pulled pieces for your pork but if you separate them in the box like that they tend to cool down and harden more than if they were bunched together.

Looks really good. I would score the chicken and ribs 9s for sure and I don't give those out easy. I would include some shredded pork, but those look awesome too.

They are 4 solid 8's could be some 9's in there if it was live! Very intresting pork presentation, I have always perfered chunks to cat food, I will probably be stealing that for our next KCBS contest! :twisted:

thanks everyone.

Nice job Rick & congrats on the calls - the calls do get addictive - Well at least that is what I have been told.

It was nice being setup next to you again this year - especially when the Boat Eggs came of the BGE. Thanks for the breakfast.

you're very welcome, sid

Ribs look good but I would guess you took the one on the right from a second rack. Try putting the odd bone on the side by itself next time. Seems to work. Brisket may have been a little too thick. All looks great. Congrats.

yep, i had to steal a bone from a different slab because i butchered the 6th rib from the slab where the other 5 came from. i was running out of time so i had to go with it... i had that bone on the other side of the other 5 at first, then i decided it looked better on the right side.

brisket wasn't my best, but i have trouble with briskets all the time. the bark was getting messed up if i tried to slice thinner. maybe i need a better brisket knife. thanks for the tips.

Look's really good Rick and congrats on the Top 10 finish. Try wiping down the edges of your box so judges can't tell you just spritzed the shine on the meat. And black isn't necessarily beautiful on pork and brisket. You picked some really nice pulled pieces for your pork but if you separate them in the box like that they tend to cool down and harden more than if they were bunched together.

i didn't spritz the boxes, that's flash reflection on the styrofoam. the shine was from a sauce dunk. the black really wasn't that black in person... flash kind of enhanced the darkness i guess. but the pork and brisket bark was pretty dark anyway. not much i could do about that at that point. thanks for the tips.

Nice work Rick! What contest was this?

that was the ohio vet bbq comp in kettering, oh...

Last edited:
Those boxes looked good. Keep up the good work.

I did have a few questions for you though....

How long did it take you to prep your boxes prior to adding the meat?

After the fact, do you think you should have added more pork to that box?

brisket wasn't my best, but i have trouble with briskets all the time. the bark was getting messed up if i tried to slice thinner. maybe i need a better brisket knife. thanks for the tips.

Cutlery and More has the Forschner Graton Slicer for a great price. Great brisket knife.

All the boxes looked really nice, as mentioned maybe the pork box by filling in around the large chunks with pulled meat would have scored higher. Although you never can tell, right?

David Keyse
cbj #5112

Back