Easiest way to seperate a brisket

C

Cecil

What is the easiest way to seperate a brisket point and flat after it has been smoked?

I've also heard some put the point back in the smoker. How will you know when the point is done? Do I need to put it in something or add anything to the point?

Thanks

There's a line of fat that separates the point and the flat that is usually pretty liquidy at that point. With teflon fingers or a boning knife, follow the band of fat-- you can feel when you are in the pocket. They should separate really easily. You can then throw the point back on the render more, but, to me, how much you want to continue is personal preference. I usually like to make burnt ends At that point, by cubing the point, dunking the chunks in sauce and throwing that back on the pit for the sauce to set.
DSC04715.jpg

Matt
Those do not look good at all.

I suggest cryovacing/freezing, and sending to me for proper disposal

Cecil, if you cut away a lot of that thick fat in between the point and flat you can just pull the point off after the brisket is done. I cut until im scared im gonna cut the point off completely then i throw the whole brisket on the smoker. You can throw the point back on after you have removed it when your carving your flat and smoke it for another whole hour or so. Remember, the point will be cooked fully when the brisket is done. the whole idea behind this is to add as much smoke flavor as possible and crisp up the meat. Burnt ends you will have!

Cecil, if you cut away a lot of that thick fat in between the point and flat you can just pull the point off after the brisket is done. I cut until im scared im gonna cut the point off completely then i throw the whole brisket on the smoker. You can throw the point back on after you have removed it when your carving your flat and smoke it for another whole hour or so. Remember, the point will be cooked fully when the brisket is done. the whole idea behind this is to add as much smoke flavor as possible and crisp up the meat. Burnt ends you will have!

I agree Jordan, I will partially separate the brisket before I add the rub then when it is ready to come off the smoker it separates very easily.

That's a good idea, Jordan and Neil. I'd never even considered it. I always have trouble separating the point cleanly from the flat.

I agree Jordan, I will partially separate the brisket before I add the rub then when it is ready to come off the smoker it separates very easily.

Cecil,

Here is a visual on what these guys said. (And I figured out this multi quote thing too). I cut a "V" shaped wedge in the thick fat on the side. The point will almost separate itself. The bigger they are, the easier they come apart.

9cc65e99.jpg

830e8564.jpg

Leave it to Thirdeye to tell the story with pictures. You da man!

Matt, good looking stuff!

A lot of the time, the two parts almost separate themselves. Don't worry about it when it's time... it will be easy.

and as to how long you put the burnt ends back on... as long as you want! I usually do it for a couple of hours, and I don't worry about the temp. They generally kind of fall apart when they're good and done.

I read the other day of somone who separates it when it hits 160*-170*, then re-rubs the flat and back in the cooker. Anyone ever try that??

The best way to separate is this:

Trim off the fat cap after cooking. You will see the point. Take a nice slice off the point. Then eat it. Good huh?
Take another slice, eat that too.
Continue this procedure until you arrive at the conclusion that there is nothing left but the flat.
Slice the flat, and serve it to your other family members.:wink:

That's a good idea, Jordan and Neil. I'd never even considered it. I always have trouble separating the point cleanly from the flat.
Ditto.

The best way to separate is this:

Trim off the fat cap after cooking. You will see the point. Take a nice slice off the point. Then eat it. Good huh?
Take another slice, eat that too.
Continue this procedure until you arrive at the conclusion that there is nothing left but the flat.
Slice the flat, and serve it to your other family members.:wink:
Looks like I need to do two briskets and see which way works best.

Back