Good knife sharpener

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Need to buy a good knife sharpener. I bought a few months back and i do NOT like it. Possibly im doing it wrong. Any way its not sharpening my knives at all and i need them sharpened. I dont want to spend 5 bucks per knife to be sharpened by a store. I would like to be able to do it myself and save money.

Thanx

Matt

My father-in-law sold me on Chef's choice.. I bought one and love it! It's the one with 3 sharpening stations.

is that the 150 dollar one? Ill check it out. It sharpens them the way you want them to be sharpened? do they stay sharp for a few?

thanx

May I suggest the Edge Pro Apex?

http://www.edgeproinc.com/Apex-Model-Edge-Pro-System/Apex-1-kit-p4.html

ep-apex-kit1_272_general.jpg

Hmm, i have the DMT system and i do not like it at all. It never put an edge on my knife. I was angry. i spent alot of money on it and it didnt do it right. I read the manual 3 times to make sure. Either i got a bad stone or a bad product...

Ditto on this one. It does take a very small learning curve(doesn't everything???).

I was able to score a used one that was only used a couple of times!! Now wifey complains that her knives are tooooooo sharp!! :biggrin::biggrin:

My knives are really too sharp too, I have to be carefull with my pocket knives now, although a sharp knive is a safer knife.

With a little practice you will have knives that are sharp and will stay sharper longer. I practiced on my garage knives and worked up to my more expensive knives.

Sharpen on..................

Paul B

Hmm, i have the DMT system and i do not like it at all. It never put an edge on my knife. I was angry. i spent alot of money on it and it didnt do it right. I read the manual 3 times to make sure. Either i got a bad stone or a bad product...

These Edge Pro systems are not a DMT. They are highly rated. Please look at the site closer.

These Edge Pro systems are not a DMT. They are highly rated. Please look at the site closer.

DMT guide system had no numbers telling me which angel i was at. nor did it have the ability to do an angel such as 20 deg. which is what im looking for. I notice the apex says it will do 10,18,21, and 24. very interesting.

Maybe i can find a used one around my area..

thanx

very timely topic as I need a sharpener as well..I was going to get a chef's choice, but I like the looks of the Edgepro Apex

well whatever sharpener you go with, please know that at a twenty degree or lower angle, the blade will need a more frequent touch up schedule. the thinner the angle the more prone it is to laying over.
want a real cheap way to sharpen a knife? buy a wet stone and practice practice practice. want one that is oh so very easy to use? get a warthog. be sure to pony up for the base though.

Another ditto on the Edge Pro. I have the Appex, and it has a little bit of a learning curve, but every knife in my kitchen is just scary sharp now.

Best one i ever saw was in a Mac Tools truck. Was expensive and a lot of work. But oh that finished product. It clamped to the blade, and you had three diff stones which were held at a certain angle to the edge. The rest was manual.

I have and like the chefs choice and its 3 angle blade. Mine is the 3 slot as well.

Here is a web sit that has a lot of good info. I have several kinds of high end sharpening systems but by far my favorite is the paper wheel system on a bench grinder. Its fast and very easy to learn and the price is right. I can sharpen a knife in about one minute, so sharp I can save my face with it. Word of causation, I dropped a knife on the kitchen tile floor now I have a big slit where the blade hit.
Dave
http://users.ameritech.net/knives/index.htm

Here is a web sit that has a lot of good info. I have several kinds of high end sharpening systems but by far my favorite is the paper wheel system on a bench grinder. Its fast and very easy to learn and the price is right. I can sharpen a knife in about one minute, so sharp I can save my face with it. Word of causation, I dropped a knife on the kitchen tile floor now I have a big slit where the blade hit.
Dave
http://users.ameritech.net/knives/index.htm

I've been told to try to avoid bench grinders because of the heat build up can soften the steel. I guess the paper wheel design helps mitigate that more so than a stone.

Instead, they (read on a knife forum) recommend using a belt sander for those that want to use a machine to sharpen.

dang. so many to choose from. haha. was hoping to find one under 100$ that works good. The reason i have to go with 20 deg is because the last shop that sharpened them told me they ground em down to 20 deg. I could see where the metal was heated from the wheel due to color changes in the metal.. i want to try out something like lansky or epex but ever since i got the DMT guide system from them. i have been skeptical of systems that use guides. Mainly its just because the DMT system i bought was not fabricated well enough.

thanx

Back