BSKD vs. CG

F

FireBrewer

I know there's been tons of questions asked about both the BSKD and the CG but I haven't found one yet while searching that answers my question: in terms of capacity or volume, how do they compare?

I'm eyeballing a BSKD for the Spring and wondering how much more it'll allow me to cook. Significant? A wash? :confused:

Thanks!

My mind is in a fog.... BKSD????

Anyway, for what it is worth, if you haven't seen it, the CG chart comparison:

http://www.chargriller.com/comparison.html

BTW, I have 2 CG's w/sfb and love them. Lots of room for just about everything I want to do.

If you have any questions and I can answer, let me know.

Bill

My mind is in a fog.... BKSD????

Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe

805-2500-1-L.jpg

I have a Chargriller with side fire box as well, has done me pretty well. Just lookin' at upgrading...something that can handle a little more chow without killing my bank account. :wink:

Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe

805-2500-1-L.jpg

I have a Chargriller with side fire box as well, has done me pretty well. Just lookin' at upgrading...something that can handle a little more chow without killing my bank account. :wink:

Got it... I have thought of maybe getting a GOSM, and adding it as a side box on one of mine.... kinda like the pic you have here.

OK lets try this again.......

Whatcha want to know aobut which one? I cooked 3 contest this year using at least on of each and done countless cooks on each.

The BKSD is much bigger than then the CharGriller. In my CG, I dont really use the top shelf, my exhaust mod takes up most of that space but I can get a bunch more in my BKSD. At the Lake Placid comp we crammed like 4 briskets and 6 butts in there. PIA to cook with all that in there but hey it fit!:biggrin:

I really do like them both and they both have advantages a big one being the price. That being said they are both very inexpensive units that are going to require more love and care than say a Spicewine, Klose, Stumps or any of the higher end models. They both will work resonably well with some minor mods that can be found here.

The BKSD, I think is a marginally better cooker for BBQing and smoking but I really like being able to grill with the CG and think that as a grill, it is one of the best on the market and well worth it.

The BKSD I also dont think is as well made (I know they are both cheaply made) and to be honest I dont use it nearly as much as my NB Bandera. All in all though I think it is a good cooker and really like the style of cooker better than the smaller "WSM" style of smokers.

I dont know what you are looking for prices where you live, but I wouldn't be willing to pay more than $200 for one. Anymore than that, I dont think is worth it and would look for something used.

I dont think that you will be kicking yourself in the butt if you get one, I think you will be happy with it as a sidekick to the CG

I've got both. As stated earlier, the CG is a great grill for larger quantities. For smaller cooks I prefer a weber kettle.

I have used the CG as a barbecue pit with good results too, but I am more comfortable with the BSKD for barbecue. I have honed my fire control skills using white oak as a heat source. I've done this so many times that I now look at the thermometers, only in passing. I already know what the temp is. I am that sure of the temp the cooker is holding because of the size and intensity of my fire.

My BSKD is probably 3 years old or so, and looks it. She has to live outside, because here in Minnesota garage space is a premium reserved for transportation. The car's gotta start or I can't go to the store and get more meat (ie Beer). A good wire brushing and a coat of paint will make her last a few more years. It's been a great cooker and we have learned a lot together. The learning curve was a great experience for me.

My next one will be heavier metal.

For capacity go with the BSKD. But remember, its a fuel hog.

For over-nighters go with an Egg or WSM.

For capacity go with the BSKD. But remember, its a fuel hog.
For over-nighters go with a WSM.

I agree, thats what I started on (BSKD) & moved up to (WSM). Next step is the UDS (got the drum, starting mods this weekend).
Dave

Your biggest challenge with a BSKD to increase capacity will be in buying additional racks.

Right when NB sold off to Charbroil, I ordered 8 more racks for my Bandera.

I think the BSKD I saw at Menards only came with 3. Might have been missing one in the demo floor model.

Any you owners of the BSKD have the total rack count that comes with?

Thanks much for the replies and pointers! Hadn't even thought about an UDS. Perhaps a WSM would do well as an addition...overnighters are foreseeable. :-D

I think it did come with three racks, dont remember and now they are all mixed and matched with my Bandera shelves........

It can be a fuel hog, but if you do the mods and load up a charcoal basket you can get a good long cook. May not be quite as long as a barrel type smoker, but its as long as I will let a cooker costing less than $200 go unattended. Have only cooked on WSM once, just not a big fan of that whole design.....I like playing with fire too much

Would be nice to have some heavier metal. I was lucky enough to cook on Poobah's MOAB once, now thats a cooker boys!

I think the BSKD I saw at Menards only came with 3. Might have been missing one in the demo floor model.

Any you owners of the BSKD have the total rack count that comes with?

Right, Bill, they come with 2 or 3 plus the rib rack, skewers & hanging rods. Hawgeyes has some racks that are just a hair off on the length & width, but will work O.K. I got three of those & cook the hell out of ABTs (about 35 to 40 per rack) or fatties at the same time as butts or briskets.

Back