Thoughts on smoke quality and performance of a Kamado vs. Insulated Smoker

RemoGaggi

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
RemoGaggi
I'm curious if anyone has compared the smoke/cooking quality of a kamado vs. a quality small insulated smoker - something like a Red Box, 270 Sumo, or something along those lines. I'm not talking about prices, grilling or capacity here, just your thoughts on how a similar rack of ribs would come out on a high end Kamado vs. a high end insulated smoker. Which would be better and why?

Clearly both a Kamado and small insulated (or regular size for that matter) smoker share similar qualities such as great insulation and low fuel consumption. I've never owned a small insulated smoker such as a Red Box or 270, but I have owned a Green Egg and currently own a Akorn (that I got for $40 a couple months ago). I know on the kamados, when smoking, the vents (top and bottom) are barely open and lump charcoal is recommended. But, I wonder how much air flow is really happening in the Kamado and does the apparent lack of oxygen hinder good (blue) smoke from wood chunks as the combustion is hindered? I know many add a few wood chunks to the base of the charcoal and call it good, but if the vents are barely open, isn't the air flow minimal, which would result in poor combustion of wood chunks, which would make white smoke giving that nasty smoke taste to the food? I know many have great success with their Kamados, so it makes me wonder.

I've never owned or used an insulated smoker, but I'm wondering if my question about the apparent lack of air applies to an insulated smoker and if a small insulated smoker would perform better than a higher end Kamado and why. Are the vent settings on the insulated smokers like the Kamado - barely open on top and bottom?

Or is my theory about lack of oxygen and white smoke way off base in Kamados?

I currently do all my smoking in my Mak1 and GMG DC. But I am intrigued about a small insulated smoker.

I have smoked a few racks of ribs in my Akorn with varied results - edible, but all of them never being anywhere near the quality of even my GMG DC.

NOTE - I know the Akorn is not a high end ceramic Kamado and I don't expect it to be, but I would like your thoughts to my questions above about air flow and performance of a Kamado vs. insulated smoker. Thanks in advance.

Very curious on this as I am considering a KJ or Summit at this moment and getting rid of my WSM but wondering about the quality of the smoke since it would be the dedicated smoker in the house

I don't have experience cooking on both, but I have owned several kamados and am pretty happy with the results that come from them for a charcoal cooker and I'm really particular about sooty or smoldering off flavors on the meat. I use wood chips instead of chunks, and I disperse them through the charcoal as I'm filling the bowl. As you mentioned, they do run efficiently and it could be an hour(s) before the fire burns from one area out a few inches to hit the next chunk. Using this method, I only ever see TBS or nothing when the cooking is running, once it's up to temp. I don't think that a burning chunk is bad or makes white smoke, I just have less control about the rate in which the fire consumes them compared to intermixed chips.

I would still like an insulated cabinet someday, because reasons.

Similar. You're not getting the crazy draft that an inefficient offset gives (my favorite stuff comes off the offset) but it's super efficient, diverse, and you get to sleep.

I’m a 270 sumo owner and have never owned a kamodo so obviously I can only speak to the 270. They talk about the design functioning as a convection type cooker which cuts down on cook times. I did not know what you mean by lack of air but my 270cooks like a dream. Easy, great flavor and you can change the airflow based on how you apply the top vent cap.

I am not an expert on air flow nor am I an engineer. The 270 system has been well thought out and I can’t speak highly enough about them.

I own a few BGEs and also GF smoker GC28. The GF smoker size is obviously not comparable to some of the insulated smokers you mentioned below (much bigger) but I’ve found my gravity fed to have a little more smoke compared to my BGE (not much but noticeable to me).

I also have an offset and obviously, the offset smoke flavor is stronger than both of the other smokers.

Remo - You raise some good points. I had a BGE for 20 years. Fantastic efficiency, but finally decided to head different direction because of the lack of air flow with intake and exchause choked down so much. Plus there is quite a bit of radiant heat from the ceramic plate setter that sits underneath the food.

Not saying you can’t smoke good food on it. Personally I have had better results smoking with more draft and cleaner burning fire in other types of smokers. The downside is that I definitely use more charcoal now.

Plus there is quite a bit of radiant heat from the ceramic plate setter that sits underneath the food.

I've noticed this as well, at least with higher cooking temps like 275*. Gotta be careful not to scorch the bottom of a brisket or something, I usually just do "lowish and slowish" when I use it as a smoker, because I run a temperature controller and care less about how long it takes since I'm not actively feeding logs. I think the Primo is a great grill and a good smoker, and sometimes things that can be used as both sacrifice a bit in one or both areas vs. dedicated function cookers.

I had an Acorn. That I modified to have better airflow. That helped. I bought a DownEastBeast vertical. Very similar results. To me not much smoke profile compared to other smokers I have/had. Like you mention. If you like that flavor, you will/should like the insulated cabinet.
I modified my DEB to have alot more airflow. (still could use more intake, I more than doubled the exhaust) got rid of the insulation etc. Much better now.
IMHO, you can not get a heavier smoke profile burning minimal fuel and minimal air flow. No matter the smoker. Like you mention in your post.

I have had both. A 270 Smokers Sumo and Vision Grills Classic M. The 270 and the kamados cook similar. As far as end product goes not really any difference.

The 270 beats the Kamado though. The 270 is not fragile and easy to transport without ruining it. There is a larger capacity. I get better burn times on the 270 but keep in mind the 270 has a larger firebox.

Both great cookers but the 270 smoker is better. Imo you won't notice a difference in the end product.

Smoke flavor preference is very subjective, I can achieve adequate smoke on my bubba keg, but it won't match a WSM etc.. However I do feel they cook meat a little faster which perhaps lends to a ever so slightly "juicier" product. Especially true with my spare ribs.

But getting to and maintaining temps on a kamado is a very delicate and babysitting process, at least on my bubba keg. I can't walk away too long when I start the fire cause the thing is dying to get to molten lava mode. haha

I've got and cook on both a Primo Oval XL and a Humphrey's Qubed Pint. As long as the fire is running well, small and hot not big and choked down, they both have a very similar smoke flavor profile to me. I run both with lump and smoke wood chunks.

With the Primo I don't use a stoker - it holds temp very well without it. I do usually run a stoker on the Humprey's (although it's not hard to run without it). With the Primo I usually run it with the exhaust wide open and the intake cut down to a finger or two width depending on the temp I'm running. With the Humphrey I keep the exhaust shut down to just a finger width or so but I"m actively pushing air through it with the stoker.

There's plenty of difference with regard to rack space, access to food, access to fire, etc that make me prefer cooking on the Humpreys. The one real difference in terms of actual cooking (as opposed to convenience) is the ability for the Primo to go hotter and to cook direct - both close and extended. For example, I really prefer chicken wings cooked on the extended grates of the Primo with no heat deflector so that they get some direct radiant heat from the fire. I can't do that with the Humpreys.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Sounds like the bottom line is that the two types of cookers will produce similar results. I think I'll stick to my Akorn for grilling (it does a great job grilling chicken and steaks) and my pellet smokers for ribs & brisket.

Back