Blackstone vs Gas Grill

drallan81

Knows what a fatty is.
Afternoon all,

Yes, this is yet another Blackstone (or equivalent) grill question. I've been eyeballing one for a while, but haven't found a good enough deal near me that was worth jumping on. This spring I might just bite the bullet and buy one new if I have to. I currently have a 3-Burner Weber Genesis, Weber Ranch Kettle, and UDS in the back porch arsenal.

Question is for those who have both a gas grill and Blackstone (or got rid of one). Do you use the Blackstone often enough, or is it versatile enough to get rid of the the gas grill all together? If I add the Blackstone, I'll probably get rid of something (at least retire to storage under porch).

Primary usage for gas grill is Burgers, Hot Dogs, Steak, Chicken Breast/Thigh. All things I'm pretty sure the Blackstone would excel at.

Any reason not to make the swap? Is getting a model with a hinged lid worth it (vs just a storage cover)? I don't want the newer fancy models that come with deep fryer, air fryer, etc, just a basic 36". But I'm thinking a useable lid would be nice.

I have a Weber gas grill next to my 36” Blackstone and use both regularly. I wouldn’t think I could get rid of the gasser. I don’t cook steaks on the BS other than searing. But I do use it a lot. Burgers (Smash burgers) have become my favorite on the BS.
The hinged lid is a big plus. Mine has the old style lift off and it can be a pain. I would check brickseek.com for deals in your area.

Is there not a griddle insert available that would basically turn your Weber into a Blackstone?

I have both. The griddle is still pretty new..maybe 6 months. I use it more than my regular gas grill, but they really serve different purposes. Grilled chicken is better on the gasser. Dogs also.

Pressed Burgers come out great on the griddle, but a good gasser will make a good non pressed burger.

Stuff like stir-fry's, fried eggs, pancakes, grilled onions, are all perfect on the griddle.

The Camp Chef I have doubles as a grill also. Never have used the gas grill feature, so cannot say how it works. It doesn't have a lid though, so it would be open flame only.

Grilla grills is coming out with a Gasser-flat top combo called the Primate that looks really good to me. If I was buying something new, this would have likely gone to the top of the list.

I don’t use mine a lot - mostly large breakfasts. I’ve used it to sear steaks after sous vide but tend to mostly use the gasser for dogs, burgers, steak and chicken.

Depending on where you will use it consider weather. I have an awning over the deck in the summer but am exposed in the winter. Using the gas grill when it’s raining works fine. The blackstone, not so much. (As I proved when I had a small leak in the awning)

I have only lit my gas grill once in the last two years and that was to clean the grates. I use my blackstone at least 3 times a week. Kamado Joe once a week and as soon as I finish my table I’ll be using a rec teq Bull frequently too hopefully.

IMnotalwaysHO

You aren't cooking anything on the grill that would be better on the Blackstone. However, a Blackstone will let you do chopped fajitas instead of whole cooked ones, and then skillet type stuff like pancakes, omletes (one of the best!), hash browns, stirfry. If you are not cooking all that extra very often, just get a cast iron pan to put in the griddle.

Run don't walk down to Wallyworld and get a 36" BS with a lid. I have a drum and use it about twice a month. I have a weber kettle and use it never. I have a nice weber gasser and use it every few months to cook with the rotisserie. I use the BS about 3 times a week for chicken, steak, burgers, sausage, fajitas, pancakes, mushrooms, onions, fish-you get the idea. I keep it in my shop and turn it high for everything other than pancakes. It smokes away and I don't care. I would much rather have it than any of my other outdoor cookers. The only option you really need is a lid-it makes a huge difference. If I'm cooking something thick like brauts I use my smokey joe lid and cover the meat to turn it into sort of an oven.

For those of you that have a lid - is that for heat retention while cooking or to protect the top when not in use? I’ve never had a lid for my griddles and the lack of heat on the top obviously has an impact when cooking anything even mildly “thick”.

For those of you that have a lid - is that for heat retention while cooking or to protect the top when not in use? I’ve never had a lid for my griddles and the lack of heat on the top obviously has an impact when cooking anything even mildly “thick”.

Mine is solely for protection when not in use. I use stainless steel bowls and magnets and washers when I need to melt or steam something.

You can get these in different diameters.

1a123733-66cb-47e5-b3ef-bc5c3cab4a8c_300.jpg

I have a few in different diameters and when used in conjunction with steel zinc plated fender washers they'll turn any size stainless steel bowl into a basting cover.

My lid is to keep animals of the grill plate

All,

Thanks for the responses. I do have a few different griddle attachments for my gasser. I've probably got more in accessories than a new BS would cost including a full set of grill grates, Q-griddle, and rotisserie. The grill grates have been good, but not great. I don't regret the purchase, but don't know if I would do it again. The Q-griddle doesn't seem to get hot enough or cook evenly enough for me to use it regularly.

I guess the question is, is there anything that a gasser can cook (besides rotisserie) that the BS can't or can't do well? Other than the fancy grill marks on a steak is there a reason a griddle can't be used?

Is it possible to cook larger cuts of meat on the BS? I'm thinking like a flank steak or chicken quarters? I might just have to conceede that I'm going to have to do those on the Ranch Kettle (tastes better, just more of a hassle when in a hurry).

Comparing a grill and a griddle is like comparing an apple to an orange. They are two different things.

Bought my first griddle about 7 years ago. A griddle is one type of cooker I cannot imagine being without. You are asking about a griddle vs grill. They are different animals thus the end result they produce is different. I always tell people that a griddle opens up doors of cooking opportunity that a grill just can’t, at least not as easily. I cooked on a Blackstone for the first 5 years and a Camp Chef the past 2. I much prefer Camp Chef flat tops to the Blackstone’s. Both turn out top notch food, but I simply prefer much about the Camp Chefs to the Blackstone’s. I also tell people that having a griddle prevents BBQ burn out... and yes, that’s a real thing... lol. Here’s a fun blog post to get your wheels turning...

https://blackstoneproducts.com/blogs/wiki-griddle/griddles-vs-grills-comparison

I've used my 17" more than I thought I would. I also think the lid is quite useful, not just for protection, but for holding the steam in while grilling onion and vegetables for stir fry.

Mine is one burner and meets all my needs. I can't imagine using a 36 inch.

Camp Chef 600 is both griddle and grill. Just remove the griddle and you have grill grates underneath.

I haven’t actually used the grill function yet to say how good it is.

Is it possible to cook larger cuts of meat on the BS? I'm thinking like a flank steak or chicken quarters? I might just have to conceede that I'm going to have to do those on the Ranch Kettle (tastes better, just more of a hassle when in a hurry).

This right here. You will have to use the kettle for the most part.

One of the last times I used the gasser was to reverse sear a prime rib roast. Not a huge one, only three bones, but it was great on the grill. I had smoked it in my smoker up to 130 and finished off on the gasser to get a sear. Never would have attempted this on the Camp Chef griddle. I could have fired up the kettle, but the rib already had plenty of flavor, and that would have been way more hassle and a waste of coals as I really only needed a short time to sear. It was simple on the gasser and finished of the roast very well.

Last edited:
All,

Thanks for the responses. I do have a few different griddle attachments for my gasser. I've probably got more in accessories than a new BS would cost including a full set of grill grates, Q-griddle, and rotisserie. The grill grates have been good, but not great. I don't regret the purchase, but don't know if I would do it again. The Q-griddle doesn't seem to get hot enough or cook evenly enough for me to use it regularly.

I guess the question is, is there anything that a gasser can cook (besides rotisserie) that the BS can't or can't do well? Other than the fancy grill marks on a steak is there a reason a griddle can't be used?

I think steak is actually one of the things that works okay. Burgers as well, though the "smash" burger version is better than something thicker. Chicken I'd probably rather use the gasser. Feels a little weird to use it for a couple hotdogs too (though I'm sure it would work)

One other thing to keep in mind though is that cleaning the Blackstone is more of a hassle than the gas grill. It's actually one of the reasons I don't use it more.

Back