How much can I fit?

fantomlord

is Blowin Smoke!
so my son's cub scout pack has their annual banquet (blue and gold) coming up next month, and of course, I'll be coordinating food. Not sure how many I'll be cooking for, but there's ~28 boys in the pack, and based on typical participation, I'd be surprised if more than about 17 or 18 families showed...still, that could mean 70 people or so, if not more.

Our plan is a medieval themed banquet. Main course will be chicken leg quarters...not sure yet if I'll separate them, or leave them whole. I've got three 22" kettles, and an 18" WSM in my arsenal. Question is, anybody have a good approximation on how many I'm gonna be able to fit, and maybe more importantly, ideas for increasing my capacity?

I'll be doing them very simply seasoned, and probably just plan to cook them indirect. Since it'll be a pretty short cook, I'll move my fire bricks much closer to the edge, and increase my indirect surface area a bit that way, but I'm wondering if anybody has any other thoughts?

I'm doing some leg quarters Wed night, so I'll get a bit of a better idea on what I'm doing to fit.

Thanks in advance!

Well you could do this for each kettle, that is a 17 inch Weber grate with 4 inch carriage bolts for legs, fits under the lid without problem.

This for when your camping or outings not at a hall. Back when I was a Scout Master, I ended up tack welding some expanded metal onto some angle iron to make 2X4 grates (3) the scouts would set on stones or bricks and we cooked on those for quite a few years. Much easier than bringing other cookers. Not to expensive, I ended up making removable legs for the grates after the first couple years. We had 77 scouts plus the parents. I believe the troop still uses them today. That was in the early 80's. Just a thought if your going to do this every year, they store easily also.

If you can't fit it all on the kettle, you can cook in advance and vac-seal. I was never a fan of cooking ahead until I tried it. In most cases vac-sealed food tastes almost as good as when it came off the smoker.

It frees up time and allows you to cook other items with a shorter cook time.

I have no idea how many chicken qtrs. fit on a kettle. Just wanted to say thanks for volunteering to help support scouting!!:clap2: Kids need good outdoor experiences more today than ever!

Go big or stay home Throw together a a stacked block pit and cook over open pit like the Real men :rolleyes: I mean Fire men do. Cornell cicken is your friend here:thumb:

With a homemade "hovergrill" grate to create 2 cooking levels I can fit 10 lbs. of leg quarters for indirect cooking on one 22 inch kettle. I just alternate the chicken 1/2 through the cook.

If ya need more space, lemme know. You're welcome to my performer and lowrider 22" kettle too. Rent will be one bottle of your Chocolate Chipotle Imperial Stout :)

Go big or stay home Throw together a a stacked block pit and cook over open pit like the Real men :rolleyes: I mean Fire men do. Cornell cicken is your friend here:thumb:
Not sure about where he is at, but in my neck of the woods all Blue/Gold meetings are held at a venue, around here they wouldn't let us bring grills/smokers as the hall wants the $$$ to sell you their food. Sucks but that is how it is.
Just like Disabled Vets Hospitals WON'T let us bring food into the Vets. Freakin bullwacky.

I can get 6 quarters per rack on my 18 WSM. Short cook time means it will churn out some good bird. Maybe 48 in 4 hours?

A great thing your doing for the Scouts!

I'd love to do a block pit, not sure if it's gonna work this time. I'll have to look into the cornell chicken...we're trying to keep it authentic with respect to ingredients used/available.

If ya need more space, lemme know. You're welcome to my performer and lowrider 22" kettle too. Rent will be one bottle of your Chocolate Chipotle Imperial Stout :)

I may well take you up on that offer. that lowrider 22...is that the home made-ish WSM type thingy? I would more than happy to share the stout, and even crack open a barleywine to share, too :thumb:

Not sure about where he is at, but in my neck of the woods all Blue/Gold meetings are held at a venue, around here they wouldn't let us bring grills/smokers as the hall wants the $$$ to sell you their food. Sucks but that is how it is.
Just like Disabled Vets Hospitals WON'T let us bring food into the Vets. Freakin bullwacky.

we'll likely be using a local church, so setting up a few grills in their parking lot should be fine. I'm hoping it'll be at the one right across the street from my house, so I can just cook at home and run it over.

Umm... why didn't I know about this Chocolate Chipotle Imperial Stout ... and what time should I be over. :thumb:
around noonish, 4 weeks or so from saturday :shock: I'm gonna keg it in the next couple days, and get it aging over the cocoa nibs and chipotles, then need to carb it up :thumb:

I can get 6 quarters per rack on my 18 WSM. Short cook time means it will churn out some good bird. Maybe 48 in 4 hours?

A great thing your doing for the Scouts!

I did some leg quarters just now, and looks like I can fit about 6 per kettle with it set up for indirect without trying very hard.

If you can't fit it all on the kettle, you can cook in advance and vac-seal. I was never a fan of cooking ahead until I tried it. In most cases vac-sealed food tastes almost as good as when it came off the smoker.

It frees up time and allows you to cook other items with a shorter cook time.

I don't have any issues with cooking ahead of time...there's plenty of stuff that's just as good, or even better reheated.
If I did cook ahead, what's your suggestion for reheating?

I have no idea how many chicken qtrs. fit on a kettle. Just wanted to say thanks for volunteering to help support scouting!!:clap2: Kids need good outdoor experiences more today than ever!

It's been a great thing for my son. Unfortunately, we have trouble getting adult volunteers, and participation in our events is pretty poor, even when all the costs are covered by the pack :tsk:

Brother I know this is really no help to you, but if you were closer you would be more than welcome to use my Shirley offset. I try hard to help and support certain groups and organizations. The Scouts being one of them. Good luck with your endeavor.

It's been a great thing for my son. Unfortunately, we have trouble getting adult volunteers, and participation in our events is pretty poor, even when all the costs are covered by the pack :tsk:[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear your son is liking it!
Just keep up the good work and let the nonparticipating parents know what a great time they missed.

Matt,
I've never thought to count how many quarters I can get on a kettle. Seems like it was more than 6, but I was cooking over a low direct fire.
Regardless, got a couple of kettles at the Yacht Club you could borrow as well. I won't even ask for one of your bottled masterpieces.
Good on you for volunteering.
BTW, was in Sauk on Saturday for a wrestling tournament. Closest I've been to The Shoe Box in a long time. Love me some Bargain Room scores.

Matt,
I've never thought to count how many quarters I can get on a kettle. Seems like it was more than 6, but I was cooking over a low direct fire.
Regardless, got a couple of kettles at the Yacht Club you could borrow as well. I won't even ask for one of your bottled masterpieces.
Good on you for volunteering.
BTW, was in Sauk on Saturday for a wrestling tournament. Closest I've been to The Shoe Box in a long time. Love me some Bargain Room scores.

Thanks for the offer, Clark! I may switch my strategy, and go with low direct heat instead just to fit more. That may give me enough room to get them all done...looks like I'm gonna have to do another practice run :heh:

I can do 10-12 per rack in the UDS... It's not a kettle, but I use the same racks. Keep in mind though.. that is a full rack, not set up for indirect.

Back