yesterday's 'bucket list' experience

Singed 'Stache

Found some matches.
Reaction score
A year ago, at the local county fair, I happened across the barbeque competition judging. As I was standing in line waiting to sample the winning fare, the coordinator, a nice elderly lady, encouraged me to enter next year. When I got home, I wrote down ‘enter a BBQ contest’ on my bucket list.

This winter I ended up with a 55 gallon drum at work. I wondered if it could be made into a grill. I discovered a whole new world when I found this site, and set about making a UDS. I even painted it.

Yesterday morning at 8am, I popped over to my local butcher and bought some pork ribs. I dusted them with a rub, toted my UDS to the county fair, and entered the BBQ pork competition. I was a bit nervous because I’d never done anything like this before. But I reminded myself that this was not a sanctioned event of any kind, just the county fair. I made three goals: get the meat done in time, have fun, and finish in the top half.

I got it going at 10am, added some apple wood to the lump, and looked around. Some guys were like me: brought a grill and the fam and spent the day chasing kids and cookin’ ribs. Others were more competitive. One team had every manner of smoker and cooker, matching shirts, and even two members who were certified judges. Wow. I summoned the courage to walk over and say hi early in the afternoon, but they were so busy fussin’ they never noticed me. Sure smelled good though! I walked back to my lawnchair and watched my simple UDS purring along at 225.

At judging time, I was handed a styrofoam box. No one told me I was supposed to use greens to embellish presentation, so I just used aluminum foil. One of the other competitors told me you’re supposed to cut the ribs, so I did. I picked out 5 nice ribs and nestled them in. *I* thought they looked and smelled delicious, but I was very hungry at that point.

The judges did Beef first. I realized that most people do all three meats. I only had pork ribs, so waited nervously. I wondered if you could get disqualified for not having lettuce in the box. Why wasn’t that on the entry form. How did everyone else know this? Pork was next. They called up the third place guy. He seemed pleased. Then they did the second place guys. I had chatted with them earlier in the day and couldn’t have been happier for them. I bent down next to my boys and asked them if we had fun. We all knew the professional team would win First Place. They’d already won the Grand Champion’s $50 prize and ribbon for Beef.

So, you can imagine how surprised I was when the judge called my name for First Place. My wife was beaming (it was her sauce). The boys were jumping up and down. Me, I’m still shocked.

My thanks to the brethren for teaching me the art of the UDS and ribs!

Just a leetle taste...and you are hooked! Be seein you on Pitmaster's soon touting your wife's sauce and your restaurant opening. Great story!

Sounds like they judged the food on taste. What a concept.

CD :becky:

I couldn't be happier for you. Way to go. Just get in there and sometimes good things happen,,,,,,,,,,,and they did..........:clap2::clap2:

Very cool. Congrats! Just goes to show you dont always need the best setup and all the bells and whistle s to go with it to win

Sounds like a really fun day! Victory is great, but that fact that your whole family had fun sharing in one activity is what it's all about.

Back