Butcher Paper v. Foil

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
This has come up plenty before, but I figured with all the recent press/discussion surrounding the immaculate conception of the perfect brisket which involved butcher's paper that I'd bring it back up.

How many of you have tried both and which do you like best? Why? Also, how many will be trying butcher's paper now in place of foil if you haven't already (like me).

This has come up plenty before, but I figured with all the recent press/discussion surrounding the immaculate conception of the perfect brisket which involved butcher's paper that I'd bring it back up.

How many of you have tried both and which do you like best? Why? Also, how many will be trying butcher's paper now in place of foil if you haven't already (like me).

I'm putting one on this afternoon and will wrap in parchment paper. Can't wait to try and make it jiggle!

After having done both methods, I'll say that I much prefer the results with butcher paper. In my opinion, it produced a better result as far as tenderness and texture. It definately didn't have the texture of some thing that was braised like what you get with foil as far as a soft outer bark. The bark on the paper wrapped brisket was still firm but not soft.

I'm so convinced by the outcome difference that I bought a 24" X 1,000 ft roll of it. Hopefully our son can use some for preschool because I don't see going through all of that any time soon!!!

I've done it all three ways and the best tasting brisket was a naked cook. No foil, no paper. I do prefer the texture with the paper over the foil though. Gotten jiggly all ways too.

Okay, I keep seeing parchment paper and butcher paper being used interchangeably on the forum, but I believe they are two very different things.

Parchment paper is often used in cooking, as it can take pretty high heats. Butcher paper, as I know it, would be for wrapping and resting -- which is what I think Aaron Franklin uses it for.

Can butcher paper be used IN the smoker?

CD

I bought a 1000 ft roll of it. I'm very pleased with the results.

I use it in my smoker and it works great!

Okay, I keep seeing parchment paper and butcher paper being used interchangeably on the forum, but I believe they are two very different things.

Parchment paper is often used in cooking, as it can take pretty high heats. Butcher paper, as I know it, would be for wrapping and resting -- which is what I think Aaron Franklin uses it for.

CD

Yes it can, as long as it isn't directly exposed to the heat source. Butcher paper has a flash point (spontaneous cumbustion basically) in the 450* range. And yes, Aaron Franklin wraps his mid way into the cook from what I've read and seen in interviews. And you are correct, butcher and parchment are 2 different things. I believe the recommended temp for parchment is 420* or below. I think that it's lower because of the silicone used in it melts about that temp. I believe that parchment is used in cooking primarily for it's nonstick ability though.

CD

Didn't a LEARN N' DED feller like you read Fahrenheit 451in school? :razz:

Didn't a LEARN N' DED feller like you read Fahrenheit 451in school? :razz:

It isn't the paper I was concerned about, it is the coating on the side that touches the meat. :wink:

CD

It isn't the paper I was concerned about, it is the coating on the side that touches the meat. :wink:

CD

Get the uncoated stuff.

I got a Meyer's natural angus brisket on now. I just wrapped in BP about 30 minutes ago. Not great at taking pics but will try to remember.

I have always foiled briskets. Last weekend I gave the paper a whirl. Like others have said, I really liked the bark & texture. I waited longer to wrap than I have in the past because I wanted the bark to be good & set.

Next brisket cook, I'm gonna try naked. As someone who has always foiled, no wrap has always scared me because I just can't imagine it not drying out. But, some of you guys on here have me convinced to quit being skeered...

HnF brisket with butcher paper is the best I've tried so far.

I just got 1000' at GFS :)...gonna give it a whirl next time I do a Butt or a Brisket.

Gotta ask. When using the paper, are you just wrapping with no added liquid. I would assume that it what is done

Nope, no liquid. Just a heavy spritz of a water and worcestershire sauce mix.

Back