THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm putting one on this afternoon and will wrap in parchment paper. Can't wait to try and make it jiggle!

I just had my first 2 successful briskets, and did both in parchment because it was mentioned in the "jiggle" thread responsible, in large part, for the overall successes. Have never done foil or butcher's paper and plan to experiment. Can't imagine what the dufferences may be but for the reflectivity of foil and, somewhat, of butcher's paper relative to parchment.

But why the different results?
Doesn't butcher paper just get soaked with drippings and the excess drip into your drip pan?
Other than keep some moisture on the surface of the meat, I don't understand what it would accomplish.
If you are using an insulated vertical smoker or an egg that naturally retains moisture, keeping it naked should have similar results as using paper?
I'm only speaking hypothetically since I haven't actually tried paper. I've always foiled. I never heard of using paper until I joined this great forum.

I don't see a big difference. The real difference comes from when you wrap and the temp you are cooking. There, I said it.

You can get excellent results with no wrapping, wrapping with foil, or with butcher paper. Just adjust the technique for the materials you are using.

I always thought franklin used some kind of waxed paper by the looks of the video, maybe it's just fat making paper look waxed haha
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8f2lOJkSdw"]CHOW Tour Austin: Brisket - YouTube[/ame]

I am not very scientific and certainly not articulate. That said I can not say that I know what exactly the difference in paper and foil is, but the fact that the paper is soaking up fat/drippings and the foil is completely dry (holding the same fat/drippings) makes me believe the result has to be different. I am a novice in comparison to the majority of folks here and am definitely not trying to argue with anybody, just explaining my thought process.

I agree with what Boshizzle said also. I mentioned in my original post on this that I wrapped my "paper" brisket later than any I have done before because I believe that had an effect on how my brisket turned out also. I am looking forward to trying out naked brisket.

I think I will practice by trying a naked butt tomorrow.:becky:

I did a butt today with parchment paper. I had a 7 pounder on the Smoker Joe Mini WSM and parched it for the last 4 hours out of 13 hours total. Grate temp was 300F. The bark was fantastic compared to foiling, but I do miss the 3/4 cup of juices from foiling that I'd mix in to the pork after pulling. The bark more than makes up for that.

I did a butt today with parchment paper. I had a 7 pounder on the Smoker Joe Mini WSM and parched it for the last 4 hours out of 13 hours total. Grate temp was 300F. The bark was fantastic compared to foiling, but I do miss the 3/4 cup of juices from foiling that I'd mix in to the pork after pulling. The bark more than makes up for that.

Try putting the butt in a foil pan after wrapping next time. I did 2 butts for a friends party the other week and did this and found that it had just enough pork au jus' to mix back in but not nearly as much as I got when foiling.

Here ya go brother:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143631

and here

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143835

Also worth mentioning that butcher paper is great for putting down on my concrete countertop outside for easy cleanup. I don't know if I'll ever make it through the whole roll - it's huge!

I found the coated freezer paper at wally world before I got the butcher paper at GFS, I knew the freezer paper was not "the stuff" but I grabbed a roll anyway, and I use that on the counter as you do.

Do tell!

Thats my next experiment.

I just wrapped like I normally would, minus the added liquid and stuff, with foil, about 3 hours in I believe. Left the rack in the paper until the ribs were tooth pick tender, unwrapped, glazed and set for another 20 minutes or so. They were very tender without being mushy and the exterior meat didn't get to firm and turn into jerky either.

Maybe Jethro01 can share the pics from the party?

Is there an internal temp when you guys wrap the brisket ? Time on the grill ? The way it looks ? I have an #11 packer on right now at 275~ish and it's been on since 6 EST, so about 4 hours. I'm going to run up to the market and get some butcher paper right now.

At what point do I wrap ?

Back