Votes: 29 39.7%
  • Low n Slow

Votes: 44 60.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trumpstylz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
What is your preference if you had to choose one overall? Are there certain cuts that take more or less to the HNF?

I go with low & slow whenever possible. It is the journey not the destination. :thumb:

Once i did my first hot & fast brisket i never went back.

I havent done briskets as of yet, but pork butts I do hot and fast @ ~300-325 ribs I do about 250-275.

If I have to make it by a certain time window and I won't be able to start it at the correct time for hot and fast, then I will start it overnight at low and slow and foil and cooler the butts until the service time.

Several variables: window of time, ingredients of rub, use of foil/paper, flavor profile desired... etc.
There's the beauty of getting the right combination of color, flavor, tenderness. There's no exact answer - just another option/technique of a desired end result.

(Also depends on the volume of meat, too. Will not be wrapping hundreds of pounds of meat).

Neither one is better.....the best one is the one you prefer. I have done my last few butts at 325, and will never go back. But still love my ribs at 225-235.

I do chicken at 325-350 to get the wonderful effects of the Maillard reaction. Everything else I tend to do 225-245. Yesterday I got a late start Ina butt so I did 3 hours at 225 and then let it run at 245 for the last 7 hours. Cooking in a humid smoker decreases the stall somewhat.

I don't foil, and there's always water in the pan (chicken in done in the BGE with no water).

Ultimately, it's up to you. If you're smoking your meat in a pan, then higher temps are necessary because the pan will block some of the heat.

If your method is different from mine and you're loving the results, then keep doing it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put me down also for 275 because I refuse to make sense!

Low 'n slow for pork and beef. Except for steaks which get a hot finish.

Fowl at whatever the temperature the cooker will hold with all vents open. (my 18.5 WSM starts about 350°) I did a couple turkeys on my 26 Weber starting about 500°. Took two chimneys of lit lump.

Since I started H&F a few yrs ago the quality of my "Q" has only gotten better. L&S for me is 275 I generally find 300 to be the optimum temp for everything but poultry then it is 325-350.

Count me in as a hot and fast convert! Sometimes I reverse sear my tri-tip at about 250 before searing it but other than that I cook at around 300.

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Back