Alone for Labor day So need ideals

Getting back on track here.....How's this for some smoked samlon. Uh, I mean salmon. :mrgreen:

4fc76f64.jpg

b52cd9a6.jpg

40e4fc4a.jpg

Thirdeye, how about some details on how you did it. I'd like to try smoking salmon but it's expensive to screw up.

That looks farkin delicious...

My brother-in-law lives in Anchorage and he always brings me enough salmon to fill the freezer every fall when they come home, cryovaced & flash frozen.

Thirdeye, how about some details on how you did it. I'd like to try smoking salmon but it's expensive to screw up.

SEAFOOD - Dry Cure for Salmon, Trout or Steelhead

7e88cf0e.jpg

This makes enough Dry Cure for about 10 pounds of fish:

1 cup kosher salt
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
½ teaspoon pulverized bay leaf

On a cutting board, sprinkle a little of the salt onto the chopped garlic, and mash to a paste with the point of a knife. In a small bowl, combine the garlic mixture with the remaining salt, the sugar, ginger, pepper and bay leaf. Mix this very well. Extra can be stored in the freezer.

69c46ba8.jpg

Sprinkle about 1/8” or more of dry cure into the bottom of a glass baking dish (don’t use metal). Place the fillets, skin side up, on top of the dry cure. Cover with plastic wrap OR sprinkle rub onto a piece of plastic wrap, place fillets on top and seal with the seam on top. The wrapped fillets can be stacked. (I put them on a shallow tray just in case one leaks). Refrigerate about 8 hours. NOTE: For skinless fillets, sprinkle a layer of the dry cure on the top side as well. Skinless fillets or thinner fillets will require less cure time.

The moisture and oils in the fish will liquefy the dry cure and make a syrup which will cure the fish. After curing, rinse the fish very well under cold running water, rubbing gently to remove the syrup. Blot dry with paper towels and put on a racks to air dry until tacky, at least 2 hours OR put back into the refrigerator for about 6 hours. (Salmon should be seasoned before drying with black pepper, ground garlic or Montreal Steak Seasoning or whatever you like.

86302e69.jpg

For smoking, brush or spray a light coat of olive oil or Pam on the skin side of the fish and on your smoker rack. Place fish in smoker with the skin side on the rack and hot smoke at 170 – 200 degrees (grate temp) for 2 to 3 hours, using equal parts of alder wood and apple wood. Check once or so to make sure the skin is not sticking to the racks. (spray skin side with oil if it starts to stick) Switch to cherry wood and maple wood for 1 or 2 hours. This will give the salmon a nice red color. Smoke until fish just flakes (about 130° to 140° internal). These times are for thick fillets 3 to 4 lbs., adjust for thinner fillets or for trout. I have done it using skinless fillets, by laying the fish on pieces of oiled foil 1/2" larger than each fillet, and not turning.

TIP: For smaller fillets a water pan under the fish will prevent it from cooking too fast. Ice in the water pan works great also.

Serve hot or chilled. This will keep in the fridge for 4 or 5 days, but it very seldom lasts that long.

i can't let mr. thirdeye have all the fun without slinging some seafood pixel pron myself! :biggrin:

10feb07-008.jpg

DSCN8802_1.jpg

040-1.jpg

6jan07-030.jpg

davebachelorpartymay07-003.jpg

lobster_n_shrimp-009.jpg

i have more! :biggrin:

you all are killing me with all the pitchers :icon_shy

york

OMG.....that just aint right Rick....farking incredible!!! Good thing I grabbed a few ribeye's for dinner tonight. After looking at that I just might splurge and go grab a couple Lobster tails:biggrin:

Back