Alone for Labor day So need ideals

Getting back on track here.....How's this for some smoked samlon. Uh, I mean salmon. :mrgreen:

4fc76f64.jpg

b52cd9a6.jpg

40e4fc4a.jpg
Love trout and like salmon leaning toward these, can you tell me how to season and cook properly.

OMG.....that just aint right Rick....farking incredible!!! Good thing I grabbed a few ribeye's for dinner tonight. After looking at that I just might splurge and go grab a couple Lobster tails:biggrin:

ok... two tristan lobster tails and a prime rib... and i do mean prime! :biggrin: :biggrin:

11feb07-011.jpg

SEAFOOD - Dry Cure for Salmon, Trout or Steelhead

7e88cf0e.jpg

This makes enough Dry Cure for about 10 pounds of fish:

1 cup kosher salt
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
½ teaspoon pulverized bay leaf

On a cutting board, sprinkle a little of the salt onto the chopped garlic, and mash to a paste with the point of a knife. In a small bowl, combine the garlic mixture with the remaining salt, the sugar, ginger, pepper and bay leaf. Mix this very well. Extra can be stored in the freezer.

69c46ba8.jpg

Sprinkle about 1/8” or more of dry cure into the bottom of a glass baking dish (don’t use metal). Place the fillets, skin side up, on top of the dry cure. Cover with plastic wrap OR sprinkle rub onto a piece of plastic wrap, place fillets on top and seal with the seam on top. The wrapped fillets can be stacked. (I put them on a shallow tray just in case one leaks). Refrigerate about 8 hours. NOTE: For skinless fillets, sprinkle a layer of the dry cure on the top side as well. Skinless fillets or thinner fillets will require less cure time.

The moisture and oils in the fish will liquefy the dry cure and make a syrup which will cure the fish. After curing, rinse the fish very well under cold running water, rubbing gently to remove the syrup. Blot dry with paper towels and put on a racks to air dry until tacky, at least 2 hours OR put back into the refrigerator for about 6 hours. (Salmon should be seasoned before drying with black pepper, ground garlic or Montreal Steak Seasoning or whatever you like.

86302e69.jpg

For smoking, brush or spray a light coat of olive oil or Pam on the skin side of the fish and on your smoker rack. Place fish in smoker with the skin side on the rack and hot smoke at 170 – 200 degrees (grate temp) for 2 to 3 hours, using equal parts of alder wood and apple wood. Check once or so to make sure the skin is not sticking to the racks. (spray skin side with oil if it starts to stick) Switch to cherry wood and maple wood for 1 or 2 hours. This will give the salmon a nice red color. Smoke until fish just flakes (about 130° to 140° internal). These times are for thick fillets 3 to 4 lbs., adjust for thinner fillets or for trout. I have done it using skinless fillets, by laying the fish on pieces of oiled foil 1/2" larger than each fillet, and not turning.

TIP: For smaller fillets a water pan under the fish will prevent it from cooking too fast. Ice in the water pan works great also.

Serve hot or chilled. This will keep in the fridge for 4 or 5 days, but it very seldom lasts that long.
ok just about caught back up now

ok... you guys made me do it :icon_devil

2dec06_2-002.jpg

12nov06-039.jpg

aargh.gif
off to the bar for wing night! see yas!

Okay - a triple response :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Farkin A! :razz:

Thirdeye: It looks like you are doing those direct on the grid extender. Would there be any benefit to doing them indirect with the platesetter?

You have a keen eye. It would sure help control the heat, but I don't use the platesetter because I have a super low fire, plenty of distance and I like to be able to add chips easily to keep the smoke just right. I start with alder or alder/apple, then change wood to cherry at the end. The platesetter would crimp my style. This cook was before I built a spacer ring. Now I use the ring which brings the grate up to about lid level and I add the extender to it. Even more distance and this allows sliding a pizza pan under it for a heat shield or to hold ice.

I love gumbo!!!!!!!

It don't get any fresher than this:tongue:

Maybe not any fresher, but I bet I keep my fish colder than you do. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

DSC01546a.jpg

Awesome pics. Thirdeye, I'll take the oyster recipeeeeeeeeee if you are willing to share it.

Awesome pics. Thirdeye, I'll take the oyster recipeeeeeeeeee if you are willing to share it.

It's an easy one. Each oyster gets a little butter, lemon juice, pinch of fresh chopped green onion and a couple drops of Tabasco. Then onto the grill. Cook to your personal level of doneness.

b298785c.jpg

Thanks, I don't have a lot of experience with oysters but always wanted to try them on the grill.

Ok just to let you all know, I am cooking shrimp, oysters, trout, and 2 butts, Maybe some baby backs.
Got a check in the mail I wasn't expecting and wife is on her way to Georgia to visit the kids. So I get another trip to Academy. The shrimp recipe calls for a bottle of dark rum, didn't specify if you cook with it or drink it. I'll figure that part out.

Glad to see this thread inspired you:biggrin: Sounds good, and if the rum is good for the shrimp it's even better for the cook.:wink:

Chit, can't find oysters, decent shrimp, or trout. Change of plans 2 butts, 3 bb slabs,stadium brats, and bbq beans to be cooked in that 14 qt dutch oven I didn't buy. Fresh made cole slaw. From a previous thread I will experiment on one of the butts by injecting with creole butter and rub.

Chit, can't find oysters, decent shrimp, or trout. Change of plans 2 butts, 3 bb slabs,stadium brats, and bbq beans to be cooked in that 14 qt dutch oven I didn't buy. Fresh made cole slaw. From a previous thread I will experiment on one of the butts by injecting with creole butter and rub.

You could have at least got a can of those smoked oysters, they go great with beer.

Back