Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

Jeremy, if you ever get to a place, where we can order your barbecue online, I'd order some. As much as I would like to eat there in person and shake your hand, it would still be cheaper than flying or driving to Michigan.

When I Googled for barbeque online, I was surprised by the number of places that ship their barbecue. Some of the iconic places like Blacks, Snows, and Kreuz Market.

FoodyDirect has very good shipping prices. So, Jeremy, there is hope for us in the future who can't get to your establishment. Many of us want to support your business not only for your food, but because of your character.

I'm sure it is different in each community, but when Corky's started shipping BBQ many years ago, they had to build a separate kitchen in another building to smoke the meat that was going to be shipped. They couldn't ship what they cooked in the restaurant. Of course, now they have a massive facility just for the shipping operation.

Probably gonna be driving from NYC out to Cookshack in Oklahoma next week. Strongly considering leaving to head out a day earlier and taking a 2-3 hour detour to stop at the Prized Pig. Hmmm, gotta find out if there is a Lou Malnati's somewhat close by for my chicago pizza fix as well.

Probably gonna be driving from NYC out to Cookshack in Oklahoma next week. Strongly considering leaving to head out a day earlier and taking a 2-3 hour detour to stop at the Prized Pig. Hmmm, gotta find out if there is a Lou Malnati's somewhat close by for my chicago pizza fix as well.

If you take I-80, you could stop at a Lou Malnati's in either Tinley Park, IL or Joliet, IL south of Chicago. Then head SW on I-55 through St. Louis to get you back on track to OK.

To be honest, I would open with that interior, I hate those fake country BBQ decor places. Serve me some good meat and sides, I could care less about the walls.

I would also leave the half wall in place. Open viewing of the kitchen lends to a feeling of "nothing to hide" by the consumer, AND, increases the "smell" factor.

I'm sure it is different in each community, but when Corky's started shipping BBQ many years ago, they had to build a separate kitchen in another building to smoke the meat that was going to be shipped. They couldn't ship what they cooked in the restaurant. Of course, now they have a massive facility just for the shipping operation.
When you move from restaurant to selling and shipping you move from the purview of the local HD to the USDA and that's a whole 'nother ball game.

If you take I-80, you could stop at a Lou Malnati's in either Tinley Park, IL or Joliet, IL south of Chicago. Then head SW on I-55 through St. Louis to get you back on track to OK.

Great, thanks for the info.

I only check in on this thread every once and awhile so this is the first I read of the tragedy. My thoughts and prayers go out to all involved.

In other news, I think I need to fire the new guy tomorrow.

"The right time to fire someone is the first time you think of it". Been running businesses for 25 years, wish I had learned and executed on this sooner...some people just don't fit and helping them move on is better for both of you than using valuable time trying to fix someone instead of promoting/encouraging your good folks.

In my experience fixing rarely works. Those are hours you will never get back. Cold? Nope. You have other more important employees to take care of.

Well, I have to be in Ponca City, OK by Sunday night to visit Cookshack and I am driving from NYC, so I decided to turn my 1,400 mile each way trip into a 1525 mile trip and detouring to check out the Prized Pig! At 707 miles one way, I am thinking it will be the furthest anyone drove purposefully to eat there, lol. I am planning to get there for 2-3pm on Saturday. I have designs on eventually having my own place so I am really looking forward to seeing how the Pig came together after following this thread.

Well, I have to be in Ponca City, OK by Sunday night to visit Cookshack and I am driving from NYC, so I decided to turn my 1,400 mile each way trip into a 1525 mile trip and detouring to check out the Prized Pig! At 707 miles one way, I am thinking it will be the furthest anyone drove purposefully to eat there, lol. I am planning to get there for 2-3pm on Saturday. I have designs on eventually having my own place so I am really looking forward to seeing how the Pig came together after following this thread.

Here's hoping they don't run out before you get there! :wink:

If I were you, I would call Jeremy when you are a few hours out and ask him to save something for you. I bet he would do that since you are traveling so far.

I saw today on FB that y'all installed a free popcorn machine. Umm, just curious, but why?

Here's hoping they don't run out before you get there! :wink:

If I were you, I would call Jeremy when you are a few hours out and ask him to save something for you. I bet he would do that since you are traveling so far.

Very good idea.

This has become the Mother Of All Restaurant Threads. Maybe it should be a sticky. :becky:

Just walked out, great little place. Everything was great, brisket was insane, it can stand up to anyone else's anywhere. Can't post pics here from my phone, check out my twitter @tailgatejoe to see some Instagram pics I took.

Did you make it in? I don't recall meeting any brethren today.

I saw today on FB that y'all installed a free popcorn machine. Umm, just curious, but why?

And I didn't really install one. I had one at home collecting dust in my basement and after putting my rib rub on microwave popcorn a few weeks ago and realizing how awesome it was I figured I'd test it out on the public. The main idea though is to put it on the concession trailer next weekend at the beer fest and sell for a dollar a bag or something. Almost pure profit. Should be a fun event.

Just walked out, great little place. Everything was great, brisket was insane, it can stand up to anyone else's anywhere. Can't post pics here from my phone, check out my twitter @tailgatejoe to see some Instagram pics I took.

Well that answers my last question. Glad you enjoyed it!

Well that answers my last question. Glad you enjoyed it!

Yeah, you looked busy so I didn't want to bother ya. Ordered way too much food, a pork sandwich and brisket platter. Felt like the customers were just staring at me being a slob. Didn't eat much as I had a long drive to Oklahoma ahead of me, but it was all excellent.

Back