Should Smoke Ring Matter?

We used TQ once when we first started and left it on too long. We actually had a double smoke ring, one from the TQ and a natural one - they were actually different colors. We still use it but have adjusted the timinmg.

Even though the rules say not to judge the smoke ring I would be surprised if at least some judges don't judge it.

You can get a pretty nice "smoke ring" this way: Take a chunk of meat right out of the fridge, rub it, throw it in a cold oven and turn it on to about 250* or so. When done, slice that sucker & check out the "ring".

Just sayin' .............

Nothin' artificial about this smoke ring...tonights dinner...:p

KosmoBrisket014.jpg

KosmoBrisket013.jpg

Smoke rings can be fickle (you can cook the same way each time and they'll vary in size and intensity). Note also that the lowest weighting factor in scoring is appearance. I think KCBS is wise to ignore them in judging instructions. Its the flavor and texture that really count.

I had a CBJ come up to me after a contest one day and inform me that he had given very low marks to one brisket entry he judged that day because it clearly had an artificial smoke ring. I asked how he knew it was created artificially and he told me that it HAD to be artificial because it was so deep and clearly defined in the meat. He then added that in the two years he had been barbequing, he had never created such a beautiful ring and so he was sure it just wasn't possible to create one naturally.

I just shook my head and I'm certain I heard the Spirit of Common Sense weeping in the distance.

My goodness.

Back