THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This was off my primo oval xl years ago. Believe it was just salt and pepper and cooking about 250-275. I think you need some air flow and a small hot burning fire vs a smoldering fire

e25641439fc44166955313db7ccb20e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for sharing that! that's what i figured, I have to do small hot fire, otherwise it wont go below 300-325.

I have a Kamado Joe, and have no issues getting a smoke ring. For my 2 cents worth, in addition to putting your meat on cold, you need to let the fire and smoke settle in. This takes over an hour usually to get good clean smoke at 225.

I get very little smoke ring on my Kamado and LSG cabinet. Both very efficient and requires very little airflow so that may the problem, if it is even a problem. I do understand the want for a thick smoke ring though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hello everyone,

So, I have a Louisiana Kamado grill that my wife got me for my Birthday and so far I love the quality of the food that it produces. My only little problem that I am having, is the fact that smoke rings have been very difficult to produce on that grill. Even though the smoke ring does not have any affect on flavors, which i am aware of, Its always very rewarding to see one (at least for me). Now, I've tried adding chunks, chips, chunks and chips, but i am just not having any luck with it. I've cooked between 220-250 but no luck, i tired hot and fast... still nothing. I mean I can achieve a smoke ring with my PBC effortlessly compare this Kamado. I know that they burn very very efficiently and that could be the problem as they tend to burn significantly cooler compare to other cookers.. I will not use pink salt or any of the "cheating" way to get a smoke ring. I want to do this the right way lol. If you don't have this issue and would like to share with us your technique, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

You are right, and it's not your fault. :biggrin1:

Abut 20 years ago when I got into ceramic kamado cookers I would hang out on the Original BGE Forum and the "Caveman" Primo Forum, those were the main two manufacturers at that time, and many early ceramic cooks belonged to both forums. For various reasons, a lot of people that cooked on kettles and bullets were getting interested in ceramic pits about this time, and there were frequent postings from WSM users complaining about the same lack of smoke ring problems when they switched to a Big Green Egg or a Primo. Some people immediately sold their Egg or Primo for this very reason.

WSM's are excellent cookers, and although you can run lump coal in them, in those days mostly everyone used briquettes. They have more draft than a kamado, but it's an efficient draft. People use chunks of flavor wood. And a WSM makes a killer smoke riing. Smoke rings are formed from a combination of temperature, surface moisture, and the presence of nitrates. Briquettes have fillers one of which are nitrates to help the burning.

Kamado's don't need the same amount of draft, and lump coal has no nitrates, and many people stopped mopping or misting their meats when they moved to a ceramic kamado cooker. Here are some tips you can use to make a better smoke ring.

* use celery seed in your rub if you are cooking beef (natural nitrates)
* add a few briquettes around your fire ball (for the nitrates)
* mix chips or pellets within the lump
* cold meat
* low pit temp for the first 90 minutes (smoke ring stops forming at 140°)
* keep surface moist (moisture is needed in the smoke ring reaction)
* doctor your briskets with Tender Quick. (a very light sprinkle on the inside face only, followed by a light mist of water about 30 minutes before cooking)

I don't seek a smoke ring on my cooks. It makes for pretty pictures, but does nothing to the taste. Nice when you get it, but not needed.

With this, I can say that I very seldom get a smoke ring when smoking on my BGE. It's a low airflow environment needed to maintain smoking temperatures. It just doesn't have the draft / airflow with the heat source distanced farther from the cooking area like a dedicated smoker. Another issue is with good lump, the BGE burns VERY clean. I add wood chunks to get some smoke on the meat for taste, but a smoke ring is not my objective.

I get the BGE started with a load of chunks on the coals and as soon as I'm getting good smoke, I put the meat on cold regardless of target temp. I'll let it come up to temp with the smoke rolling to get it on the cold meat. If I get an hour's worth of smoke before it burns clean, I declare success, smoke ring or not. I'm looking for taste.

Last edited:
Back