THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mina

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Mina
Hello everyone,

So, I have a Louisiana Kamado grill that my wife got me for my Birthday and so far I love the quality of the food that it produces. My only little problem that I am having, is the fact that smoke rings have been very difficult to produce on that grill. Even though the smoke ring does not have any affect on flavors, which i am aware of, Its always very rewarding to see one (at least for me). Now, I've tried adding chunks, chips, chunks and chips, but i am just not having any luck with it. I've cooked between 220-250 but no luck, i tired hot and fast... still nothing. I mean I can achieve a smoke ring with my PBC effortlessly compare this Kamado. I know that they burn very very efficiently and that could be the problem as they tend to burn significantly cooler compare to other cookers.. I will not use pink salt or any of the "cheating" way to get a smoke ring. I want to do this the right way lol. If you don't have this issue and would like to share with us your technique, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

I'm not sure why you are having this issue with your kamado. My only suggestion would be to put the meat on as cold as possible to allow it more time to develop a smoke ring. The ring formation stops when the outside temp of the meat reaches about 140F as I recall, so the colder the meat, the longer it will have to develop a smoke ring. I wouldn't bother with chips, my fire build plan would be to bury half fist sized wood chunks within the unlit lump charcoal prior to lighting, so they will be continually providing smoke as the cook progresses. I hope you figure it out, and welcome to the forum.

Its a myth that smoke creates a "Smoke Ring" trust me i should know. Chunks, chips, pellets wont help much if they are smoldering "aka creating smoke" You need to have the wood (whatever type) burning clean (aka hot) to produce more nitric oxide.

I suggest partially freezing the outside of the meat, use a snake method with a fully lit chimney of briquettes and try and stay around 200F to 225F for an hour or two so the meat has a chance to absorbe enough nitric oxide before the outer temp reaches 140F which is what most say is the point where nitric oxide stops binding with the myoglobin in the meat.

Anybody with a pellet smoker will tell you, they can get a nice smoke ring without even smoking their meats.

Mina,

I'm just curious, why is the visual of a smoke ring so important to you?

I did not get the kind of smoke ring from the two kamados I used to own when compared to the other cookers I have, but at the end of day, I just kind of gave up, as the flavor was really good and that's all that mattered to me.

I have always read that you will get a better smoke ring with charcoal briquets vs lump. I will say that I have been using up my last few bags of KBB that I bought when they were doing the 2 20lb bags for 9.98. I have been getting a great smoke ring with this. Apparently it has something to do with the chemical reaction with charcoal vs lump.

Mina,

I'm just curious, why is the visual of a smoke ring so important to you?

I did not get the kind of smoke ring from the two kamados I used to own when compared to the other cookers I have, but at the end of day, I just kind of gave up, as the flavor was really good and that's all that mattered to me.

Hi Moose,

It's just very rewarding to see that smoke ring. I get the feeling like I did something right, you know what I mean? And as i mentioned previously, I know that a smoke ring does not effect the taste at all, its all visual. but for me, I would like to see one, and I would like to know why do Komados struggle with it.

I have always read that you will get a better smoke ring with charcoal briquets vs lump. I will say that I have been using up my last few bags of KBB that I bought when they were doing the 2 20lb bags for 9.98. I have been getting a great smoke ring with this. Apparently it has something to do with the chemical reaction with charcoal vs lump.

Maybe I'll have to try that. I've used Kingsford Competition briquettes and I get zero smoke ring. The food on the other hand tastes great, but not smoke ring.

5d1f90e4c3ef03dfca77b36820c8bb1b.jpg

This was with KBB and hickory in a gravity feed. Maybe someone will chime in also on chemical reaction to produce smoke ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Moose,

It's just very rewarding to see that smoke ring. I get the feeling like I did something right, you know what I mean? And as i mentioned previously, I know that a smoke ring does not effect the taste at all, its all visual. but for me, I would like to see one, and I would like to know why do Komados struggle with it.

If i had to guess, its because they are so well insulated they dont need to burn a lot of charcoal to maintain a temp. As i mentioned earlier, you need to have the coals roaring to produce the nitric oxide gas that is responsible for the smoke ring. The surface of the meat probably gets to 140F pretty quickly in a Kamado.

5d1f90e4c3ef03dfca77b36820c8bb1b.jpg

This was with KBB and hickory in a gravity feed. Maybe someone will chime in also on chemical reaction to produce smoke ring.

This looks great Chris! I can get that with my other smoker, but not the Kamado for some reason. Thanks for sharing!

I never got one either when I had an Akorn, I believe it to be caused by low air flow

I believe this is the case. I think that a good smoker is an inefficient smoker. as noted above starting with colder meat can help, maybe a little celery seed/salt in the rub. also rubbing earlier can help some.

when I had an Akorn it didn't produce as much smoke ring and bark formed slower so I didn't wrap to often. the thing was my goto for chickens for some time.

If i had to guess, its because they are so well insulated they dont need to burn a lot of charcoal to maintain a temp. As i mentioned earlier, you need to have the coals roaring to produce the nitric oxide gas that is responsible for the smoke ring. The surface of the meat probably gets to 140F pretty quickly in a Kamado.

I think that's what I'll have to do next. I tried a full chimney before and it burned the 3 chunks i had in there very quickly. But I do agree with you, i need a nice hot fire going. Thank you!

I think that's what I'll have to do next. I tried a full chimney before and it burned the 3 chunks i had in there very quickly. But I do agree with you, i need a nice hot fire going. Thank you!

I would try partially freezing the outside of the meat, that should help keep the ouside of the meat below 140F long enough to absorbe the nitric oxide. Also, try to keep the vents wide open and not have too much charcoal in to run too hot. Maybe even open the lid a bit with a chunk of wood just to help some of the heat escape.

If i had a Kamado i would probably have better advice.

I would try partially freezing the outside of the meat, that should help keep the ouside of the meat below 140F long enough to absorbe the nitric oxide. Also, try to keep the vents wide open and not have too much charcoal in to run too hot. Maybe even open the lid a bit with a chunk of wood just to help some of the heat escape.

If i had a Kamado i would probably have better advice.

I appreciate the feed back! that's why we're all here :thumb:

This was off my primo oval xl years ago. Believe it was just salt and pepper and cooking about 250-275. I think you need some air flow and a small hot burning fire vs a smoldering fire

e25641439fc44166955313db7ccb20e1.jpg

Back