THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

zachg18

Knows what a fatty is.
Just smoked these ribs the other day. Took about 6 hours (i was expecting longer honestly).

As you can see, the smoke ring is almost non-existent, which to my understanding means the smoke did not penetrate the meat that much, right?

I get the same smoke ring with brisket too...it's VERY faint.

I am using a WSM, charcoal and Oak chunks. I place the chunks under the charcoal like Harry Soo does. Get a really nice clean smoke (can't even see it really).

What can I do to get more of a smoke ring? I mean what else is there to do but get your smoker going and throw the meat on haha?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_1936.jpg
    IMG_1936.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_1932.jpg
    IMG_1932.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 367
Well I got to tell you those ribs look really good to me despite the smoke ring. They look tender and juicy, how was the smoke flavor? I myself could care less about a smoke ring as long I the flavor is right, but I don't compete either.

Looks good to me. I wouldn't worry about a big smoke ring as long as it tastes good. If you want a bigger smoke ring you can put your meat on cold and it will develop a larger ring...but I really don't care about it anymore. If it tastes good who cares?

Well I got to tell you those ribs look really good to me despite the smoke ring. They look tender and juicy, how was the smoke flavor? I myself could care less about a smoke ring as long I the flavor is right, but I don't compete either.

Well that's the thing....

Smoke flavor was good around the bark but deeper in the meat just tasted like...meat haha....

I wouldnt care if it was just an aesthetic thing, but I wonder if a better smoke ring does imply more smoke flavor?

Smoke rings stop forming at 140°, so start your meat off cold, and run your pit colder for the first couple of hours.

Maintain good airflow in your pit, a smoldering fire is not the best.

Moist meat absorbs nitrogen dioxide more easily.

Charcoal briquettes have more nitrogen than lump charcoal. If you are a lump burner add a couple of briquettes atop your fire early on in the cook.

Hard to get smoke ring in wsm. Don't know why. My 18.5 is great but it pales in smoke ring production compared to my Assassin 48. Same charcoal, same process, same wood chunks... No clue as to why.

Lots of folks say that a little celery seed added to your rub will help w/ smoke ring production. I certainly can't prove that, but I have never felt that adding it hurt anything either...

Lots of folks say that a little celery seed added to your rub will help w/ smoke ring production. I certainly can't prove that, but I have never felt that adding it hurt anything either...

It works. Celery is high in natural nitrates, and actually the flavor of celery seed (not celery salt) is a good fit with beef. Some products you see in the store that say 'nitrate free' usually have been cured with salt and celery juice.

An inexpensive way to test the flavor is on beef hot dogs.... and I prefer to spiral cut them. Cook a few plain, and a few with a little ground celery seed sprinkled into the cuts.

wkqNbXP.jpg

How old are your wood chunks and what kind? If they are the typical kiln-dried chunks found bagged in most grocery stores and sporting goods stores across the country, most of the moisture has evaporated and you will get a very clean burn with little to no smoke ring. See if you can find someone selling full size wood splits (ideally about a year old) and cut your own chunks. For a WSM you shouldn't need that much. Not all wood is the same!

Last edited:
You do know that the "smoke ring" has nothing to do with smoke... It's just a chemical reaction. Give your ribs a coat of tender quick, rinse off after about 10 minutes and throw them in the oven. You'll get an awesome "smoke ring".

Don't forget the liquid smoke...

You do know that the "smoke ring" has nothing to do with smoke... It's just a chemical reaction. Give your ribs a coat of tender quick, rinse off after about 10 minutes and throw them in the oven. You'll get an awesome "smoke ring".

I did not.

I had heard it had something to do with how much the smoke penetrated the meat...but perhaps that was wrong haha

How old are your wood chunks and what kind? If they are the typical kiln-dried chunks found bagged in most grocery stores and sporting goods stores across the country, most of the moisture has evaporated and you will get a very clean burn with little to no smoke ring. See is you can find someone selling full size wood splits (ideally about a year old) and cut your own chunks. For a WSM you shouldn't need that much. Not all wood is the same!

Yeah I've just been getting wood off amazon/in grocery stores.

Western Premium is one brand I used I believe.

Easy fix.. season the meat about 4-8 hours in advance. Make sure your base rub has some salt in it.. celery seed also helps too. A "white" fajita seasoning works well.

Back