Why do you compete?

That's funny.... actually, I ask the same question every contest, going there and coming home.... usually the same answer for me.

Because my wife and I enjoy it. Started 2007 cooking one contest. Did two a year about every year till last year when we cooked 5 after buying a toy hauler.

Met some nice people along the way. Done some urban camping in some neat small towns. We have fun is the bottom line.

to spend time with my dad. we've only done 2 smaller contests, though.

For all the money of course :doh:.

The short explanation is I like cooking bbq, being competitive, all tied with the fun/camaraderie that bbq competitions provide.

I've always enjoyed the thrill of competition. To me, it's just plain fun. In this case, you get to eat your entries... I will say, I dont suffer fools well. While I compete for the enjoyment of the competition, I want to compete. Rules broken or exceptions made to them will drive me bonkers. I will only compete in sanctioned comps with 100% CBJ's. That give me a little more assurance that willy-nilly doesn't happen. However, we're all human, and given a chance to F something up, we (as a group of humans) will do it every time...

• Thanks
Reactions: Coz
For the Fame and the Glory, and the fun times with my wife and friends. Keith

I compete because it's the only sport my body will allow me to participate in where it doesn't revolt the next day. :loco:

For all the money of course :doh:.

The short explanation is I like cooking bbq, being competitive, all tied with the fun/camaraderie that bbq competitions provide.

This too.

This is my 10th season. I compete because I still feel like I’m good at it, it’s getting tougher to win so I like that challenge... I’m still passionate about it… If/When I’m not, I’ll quit. I can spend a grand a weekend doing something else.

It started as a mid-life thing. First I wanted a sports car but quickly realized I couldn’t afford something I’d be satisfied with (topping the list was a 1964 DB5). So I thought maybe a big powerful house boat might be the answer. After a little (very little) arithmetic I realized I couldn’t swing the boat I wanted either. So I decided a young girlfriend was the answer! My wife quietly pointed out that option would cost me as much as the car & boat combined - as well as an appendage I’ve become quite fond of over the years! So naturally that left competition BBQ & here we are. No sports car, no boat, no college cheerleader but at least I can still pee standing up!

Because I love and respect BBQ. I want others to enjoy "perfect" BBQ bliss. I also enjoy coming into a competition and beating teams that have done it for much longer and have much more money invested. You have to love the underdog! (that's us!)

Eggspert

Back