BBQ Pitmasters = Bigger Competitions?

I'd watch out for him. You only beat him by 176 places overall at the Royal. :biggrin:

He did better at his first Royal then we did. I was just noticing that he was having better results with his pork products then brisket. Just goes against the Texas stereo-type.

you know I am going to say it! I hate the show!

I can not tell you how many people have come up to me and ask if everyone I cook with are pricks. They take Myron's cussing and Triggs attitude and cannot beleive that I cook with them. Try to explain to him that it is just the show and not everyone are like that, but come on... I think it is making it look like some teams are destined to win while others flounder.

I figure the show would be a hit. My day job has a ton of employees, and I heard people talking about it in the weeks prior to the show airing. 2.2 million is no small amount of viewers! Hopefully it does bring out more teams, and spectators to the festivals. Especially to those who vend as well as compete!

Completely agree. Considering I work 100ft from you in another office might skew the results some, but I definitely hear people talking about it outside of our BBQ circle as well.
The show is going to bring more people to the contests as spectators as well. People will want to see how it looks in "real life". I bet you some of the bigger contests will see an increase in traffic.
Has this site seen more traffic since the show has been on?

I havent seen the show but I became interested in trying my hand at compitition bbq cookoffs over a year ago when I the tarheel smokers come through on their way to arkansas and their truck broke we repaired and I asked to see his set up super nice people and he told me its an expensive hobby and he wasnt kidding. I remember when the biker craze kicked off several years ago tons of people was buying into that now you can buy projects fairly cheap because tv made it look easier than it really is. I bet you will have the same thing here. People will buy into it get good equipment then after a year or so be getting out of it and be selling stuff cheap which is good for me cause I am sure I will be in the market for some in the next year or two.

I think that once the script has the Pablo Diablo team start getting some calls it's definitely going to pull some new teams in.
If the script shows a guy going from dead last to placing in money over the course of the season, you can bet your heavenly hog arse that new teams will join up.;-)

I judged that "chicken" in Mesquite. I can honestly say that was the worst excuse for chicken I have ever had...and I mean EVER! Not just at comps, but ever in my lifetime. Yes, I did spit it out.

Heck if they do this and it pans out that they create another class of teams I will think about bringing back my STL contest. Right now you have backyard and full blown comp teams. This would create backyard, full blown comp teams and major event teams. I know of many teams that will gladly travel less miles, less entry fee, and be satisfied with the lesser pots and not deal with the hassles. My2cents

I judged that "chicken" in Mesquite. I can honestly say that was the worst excuse for chicken I have ever had...and I mean EVER! Not just at comps, but ever in my lifetime. Yes, I did spit it out.

How do you no it was his?

There were an additional 43 registrations to the KCBS the first week of the show which was a record increase. I have no doubt this will increase the applications to Competitions at first probably in the Amateur series and then more.

There was a judging and cooking class that week in Ponca City in which membership to the KCBS was included. Also, the voting registration deadline is on the 15th. These are factors that could have contributed to the increase in registrations during that time period not just because of the show.

Yeah thats now, i was referring to the future of BBQ comp, it gonna be bigger than the tiger woods scandal

Wait 'till our USGGA (US Gas Grilling Association) takes hold. Leave BBQ to the all nighters & big rigs. The $$ are in th masses of backyarders and Weber Genesis weekend warriors who will run toward our high end gas grilling comps :roll: :icon_blush:

There were an additional 43 registrations to the KCBS the first week of the show which was a record increase. I have no doubt this will increase the applications to Competitions at first probably in the Amateur series and then more.

Not doubt the TV had influence, but could also be some pull through by those registering to vote before the election deadline too. Might also get a lot more interested in judging than competing.

The shows ratings for the first week were higher than cake boss and it averages 2.2 Million viewers.

Anyone have any #'s on what the second week did ? I don't know if it's true but I heard that a 50% retention in week # 2 is usually very good and then it either continues to taper off or show a leveling and sustainability for potential longer term interest.

Last edited:
Lakeland, FL Pig Fest is coming up next month and normally has about 60 teams and about 30,000 in attendance. This will be a good test to see if the show will bring out more people.

I believe the show could be better if they didn't focus on the same teams every week. Granted they are only a couple of shows in, but the Mixon and Trigg show is going to get really old really quick. There are so many really cool folks at these comps, I hope they begin to spread the wealth a bit.
Petersen's a total idiot. From the moment he said "It's only BBQ", I knew it was going to be a long season for him.

I hope the show takes off and drums up some more interest from the non-competitive community. The smaller comps can use all the help they can get. They can't all be state championships.. and to survive, they need not only competitors, but the public coming to watch.

The more folks treat BBQ comps like Mixon does.. as a way to "get paid" the worse the situation will get. Smaller comps will die, Smaller teams that can't afford to compete in Memphis, KC, or Vegas will die also.

I'd like to see more teams show up for the fun, not for the green.

I could be wrong, but I think Mryon Mixon's mouth also could give the BBQ world A little bit of a black eye. Maybe I'm wrong but just my opinion.

How do you no it was his?

I didn't until I saw the show. That box was unmistakable. I described it to several people after the judging, and they even recognized it from my description weeks later while watching the show. That burnt chicken leg sticking up in the air like a flagpole was a sight to behold.....and one I will never forget. :icon_bugeyed

I think most folks I have talked to say that the show doesn't capture the true feeling and atmosphere of BBQ Competitions. Granted, this is TV, and the producers are going to edit the show the way THEY think it will be most interesting. They have even mixed up the order in which the contests were filmed, the second contest is airing tonight as the third contest....

If you watch most "reality" TV, there has to be a villian, a hero, an old timer, a pretty girl, a likable underdog and a bumbling fool. Not that I watch reality TV, but I can't help but catch bits and pieces of them as I channel surf. Same script, different backgrounds.

Anyway, Harry Soo is probably the most interesting, not only because I have gotten to know him pretty well out here, but also because he is the one who comes off as the least scripted. I think the others are coached to play up their characters, I know Harry refused to wear a "costume" the director wanted him to wear because he said it wasn't him.

Vinny, I know you are kidding, but, if Weber threw some weight behind it, I believe a Gasser circuit would make it. I can say that all of my local non-bbq friends are all about the gassers. I also see where a setup with bigger sponsors and flashier rigs could lead to a 'super tour' of comps where smaller or privateer teams could not compete just due to the dollars needed.

Wait 'till our USGGA (US Gas Grilling Association) takes hold. Leave BBQ to the all nighters & big rigs. The $$ are in th masses of backyarders and Weber Genesis weekend warriors who will run toward our high end gas grilling comps :roll: :icon_blush:

If you make charcoal legal, I am so in! Why limit it to gas, get those deep pocketed eggheads out there too!

If you make charcoal legal, I am so in! Why limit it to gas, get those deep pocketed eggheads out there too!

Maybe we'll offer Saturday's as the charcoal grilling with smaller prize pools and cheezy ribbons if there is interest. Some eggheads may have money, but still too small a subset of the population..

Sledneck and I are working on the gas grilling association details. We're looking at it from a business perspective. The gas grilling market is untapped for competition and is undoubtely a larger market than wood/coal which is so 1960's. We've got a proposal for Weber and Char-broil on the table now.

Maybe we'll offer Saturday's as the charcoal grilling with smaller prize pools and cheezy ribbons if there is interest.

While there may be some swagger in the upper echelon of today's competition BBQ... we see the gas grilling circuit filled with both suburban and inner city trash talkers.. a real cross section of Ameriana that thrive on the pressing of the red igintion button to start their flames.

Stay tuned.

Back