Msg hell!

jwall

Reaction score
:tsk: Well I found I am highly allergic to MSG.... to the point of blowing up like a balloon and looking orange like an oompa loompa...:shocked::shocked:

I am wondering if ya'll would be willing to share some of your MSG free rubs that you use.. recipes as well if possible... you can PM those if you dont want to make itpublic knowledge..

I will be getting rid of a bunch of my rubs since they almost all have MSG.

UGH!! no fun! and what a waste of money.:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

Thanks

I have pretty well gone to Kosher salt and corse black pepper with a little paprika and garlic salt for nearly all my cooks. Give it a try. I bet you will be surprised.

I have a jar of the mix Jim mentioned in my pantry too. The flavors seems to meld after a week or so.

For store bought rubs, give Dizzy Pig a look. All their rubs are MSG free. This will give you about a dozen to choose from. I use about 6 of them.

Yeah, the stuff put my mother in hospital after copping a shedload it in a chinese restaurant.
I agree with Hesmellslikesmoke, make your own rubs from natural ingredients and you'll never look back. I rarely do the same one twice, yet they all come up pretty good, some naturally are better than others, but playing about is half the fun. My ingredients include sea salt, pepper, garlic fresh or granulated, onion the same, fresh or dried herbs such as marjoram, basil, oregano, parsley, thyme etc etc, paprika and the list goes on. Your only limit is your imagination really.

I have the same problem with blowing up, lost a few nights sleep after visiting Dim Sum restaurants...

I use Dizzy Pig and organic rubs.
I season a lot with freshley ground spices (cumin, koriander, nutmeg etc...), they give a much more intense flavour, so they don't need any msg enhancement.
I bought a little grinder a few years ago and I'm really happy with it.

I like experimenting w/ 8-3-1 base (8 parts sugar, 3 parts kosher salt, 1 part chili powder) the usual recipe requires 1 more part of mixed up whatever else you want but, for me I like more spices then just the 1 part addition. Usually throw in some garlic for sure, maybe some celery salt, some cumin, granulated garlic, black pepper... you get the idea. Refuse to use MSG in my cooking. Good luck!

Do you have the same experience with seaweed flakes, like Dulse for example? Just curious. Those can make a good MSG replacement in rubs where just a little MSG is used for a bit of that Umami taste.

I use a simple mix of kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, chile powder (I make my own) and citrus peel for most cooking. I will supplement with a more seasoned rub which might contain sugars (turbinado and/or brown), celery seed, cayenne, paprika, dehydrated onion and granulated garlic.

No MSG for me please...High Blood Pressure will make you read trhe label...Mix your own spices Brother, and always use Kosher and, or, Sea Salt It will work just fine!!!

I have pretty well gone to Kosher salt and corse black pepper with a little paprika and garlic salt for nearly all my cooks. Give it a try. I bet you will be surprised.

X1 ^^^^^^^^^

Very sound advice. I've backed up to a very basic rub of Kosher salt and coarse black pepper and eveyone really liked it. Better than the other rubs I was experimenting with....

Papa

i agree
just make your own
all these rubs out there on the market and i've never tried one of them
maybe i should, maybe mine sucks. haha. who knows
make your own!
greg

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it... Who knew you could be allergic to the crud...

If you're allergic to MSG, you also will be allergic to soy sauce, tomatoes, shrimp, and parmesan cheese (among other things). They're all FULL of glutamate!!!!

On the other hand, if you can eat these without an allergic reaction, you may well be allergic to something else and not glutamate. Food allergies definitely aren't something to mess around with - you need to be certain that you're avoiding the real culprit.

I have made my own rub for years. Use Paprika as a base, Garlic powder, Cayenne, cumin, S&P.

Or you can try Heide Basik. She makes some nice rubs. Might be just a little pricy but I have found them to be very good. http://www.backtothebasiks.com/spices/

I really like the Key West Citurs for something new and different. And right on all her labels, no MSG!

Good luck.

None of the Todd's Dirt rubs have MSG in them either and they are very versatile.

Back