Best BBQ Rubs

Big_AL

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
There are many rubs commerically available on the market. What are your favorite for chicken, pork, beef and all-purpose?

Man, that's a can of worms. My favorite commercial rubs for pork include Yardbird, Williams Rib Tickler, and Big Bob Gibsons. For Beef, I like Bovine Bold. For chicken, I like Smokin' Guns, Yardbird, or Cimarron Doc's.

Given the rub czars on the forum I knew I was setting myself up for trouble. :boxing: But I still thought the question was worthy of being presented especially since it's towards the middle of the week and the pron might be a little slow after the big weekend.

That and I'm shamelessly hoping for a few samples to be sent my way. :wink:

Gah, it is impossible to say. I do agree that Simply Marvelous and Plowboy's are exceptional. But, I have not tried enough to say they are the best.

Commerically produced, I like Dizzy Pig products mainly because of the super fresh, high quality & very unique ingredients that get incorporated. I will often use them for general indoor cooking, quick grilling etc. Several get used on the BBQ meats..I recently began using a few as one of the components of my modified version of Donnie's tri-level rub process.

I've tried several Brethen rubs (Spicewine, Plowboys & Simply Marvelous) and those are all excellent as well.

Last edited:
I got to taste some Dizzy Pig products at a recent comp and they were pretty good!

My family loves Spicewine's Rubs and Plowboys Bovine Bold.

Given the rub czars on the forum I knew I was setting myself up for trouble. :boxing: But I still thought the question was worthy of being presented especially since it's towards the middle of the week and the pron might be a little slow after the big weekend.

That and I'm shamelessly hoping for a few samples to be sent my way. :wink:

If you buy a subscription, I will be more than happy to send you samples. Just PM me if you do. :cool:

This message goes to the first five that accomplish purchasing a subscription :cool:

Chicken: Plowboys yardbird
Pork Ribs: Cimmaron Docs
Pork Butt: 3Eyz and Smoking Guns
Beef: Smoking Guns Hot,Plowboys Bovine Bold
All Purpose: Plowboys, 3Eyz, Big Bob Gibsons's

I don't use any otc rubs. They always seem a little... homogenized? generic? I'd probably like some of the rubs from the bretheren if I ever got the chance to try them. They're rubs by REAL BBQ cooks.

The best rub I've found so far is my dynamite rib rub. It's sweet and savory with a little bit of herbyness and a little kick to it. Although I'm definitely biased.

I shudder at the sound of the words "all-purpose rub." For some reason, it sounds contradictory to me. I prefer rubs that are specialized to each type of BBQ- ribs, brisket, pulled pork, etc...

Don't forget Butcher BBQ products! :thumb:

Rubs

Plowboys Yard Bird, Bovine Bold. And of course Bottoms Up BBQ Rub!!:-D

Best "all around" rub is Plowboys Yardbird. My favorite new rub is the Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub. Some others in my current arsenal include Plowboys Bovine Bold, Cimmaron Doc's, Smokin' Guns Hot, Dizzy Pig, Head Country, 3 Eyz, and Obie Cue.

All Around I would put Texasbbqrub Original as my go to for new meats. Once I figure out how i like to cook a certain meat I usually make up a rub to cater to that.

We're big fans of Spade L Ranch rubs. They have em for pork, chicken, beef, and fish.
We used to think Pappy's was the best, then we became educated and realized it's actually kinda blah.

Matt

Ribs: Bone Suckin Sauce Rub
Beef: Plowboy's Bovine Bold (AWESOME)
Chicken: Plowboy's Yardbird

Well, I haven't tried that many, but Plowboy's Yardbird is tremendous on chicken and pork. Did some beef back ribs using Bovine Bold that got good reviews as did spares using Smokin' Guns. BTW, I serve 'em all dry and let people sauce as they want.

Back