KCSB chicken category has me stumped now...PLEASE HELP

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Okay guys and gals, PLEASE help this poor competition newbie. I have done chicken in a couple of back yard comps. I did well. Both times I used a sauce that made it look "shiny" and added sweet/spicy flavor. Sounds about right, right?

Okay, here's my trouble. I now have a Simply Marvelous way of making the chicken taste very, very good without sauce. It also looks really good. (pictures as soon as my wife finishes taking pictures of my son's room make-over)...maybe tomorrow.

SO...judges and competitors, maybe...especially competitors that ARE judges...how important is it for you to have sauce on the chicken...for appearance and/or taste?

Personally, I grew up with grilled chicken - no sauce, so sauce throws me for loops.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks - and I hope I'm not beating a dead horse...

Blessings!

If you have valid reason to believe that it looks great and tastes great without using any sauce, the only real way to find out if it will past competition muster is to try it in a competition.

That may not be the most exciting advice but it sounds pretty practical to me.

The best chicken I had this year judging did not have sauce. It was excellent, flavorful and smoky. And frankly, most of the chicken this year has been heavily sauced and the judges have noticed and make remarks after the round about it. If you do sauce, and I have no problem with that, be sure that there are no brush marks on the meat.

I truly believe that if you think it's great, you need to try it in a comp. I've tried more things and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.

See how it looks after about 15 minutes of cooling. If it still looks like you'd hit it hard, I say go for it and see how you score.

I've found that the food that I cook at home for myself differs greatly from what I present at a comp.

Make a batch of your chicken that you are thinking about turning in. Take a pieces after they are done and glaze them with let's say for the hell of it, bh and bhtr mixed, maybe some butter mixed in, maybe some honey thrown in. Put them side by side

thanks. So, the consensus is, then, that no sauce is a good thing???

j/k - like I said, I've done well in the couple backyard comps with sauce, I, PERSONALLY like it beter without...but, if the judging "public" wants sauce, le them eat sauce :)

Thanks y'all

Most of the competition cooks that have responded seem to be right on about saucing. I'll offer this...you have to sauce your competition CHX. Better yet...glaze.

Oh yeah and make sure it's cooked all the way through. Overdone CHX scores way higher than undercooked chicken. One 2 destroys your day.

Crash, care to help me out with what a "glaze" would be? It sounds "shiny" - but how do I GET shiny???

Back