Was "Is this a good deal" now.. How do I run this!

rabeb25

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I put money down and pick up tomorrow This Bates Pit:
bates.jpg

It features:
24x72 w/36upright, 24x24 firebox made from 1/4 steel, a 20x20x36 warmer on
top of firebox, tuning plates, stainless steel handles, 3" stainless steel
thermometers, 5 coats of 1200 degree paint, 2 stacks w/ dampers
2 gas burner grill, 2" bulldog hitch,top wind
tongue jack, safety chains,trailer lights,

built on a custom trailer

So I think I have the jist of it, but is there any words of wisdom that you fellow stick burners can give me? The previous owner talked about insulating the firebox.

Last edited:
You should talk to Kickass. He's in White Bear Lake if I remember correctly. "Stick burners rule".

That is one heck of a nice cooker. It will compliment your FEC quite nicely.

If you are serious about "how do I run this" read the Bandera 101, then read it again. Phil and company spent some time and thought on this. It's honest and true. Some points are specific to the Bandera upright, but clean smoke is clean smoke for all stick burners.

Sweet blue to you my friend:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42718

You can get rid of that FE now! :cool:

Nice pit!

And yes, stick burners do rule!

Great looking rig. All you need to do is read Bandera 101 and start cookin'. The more you cook the better you get.

A true stickburner.....yeah!!!!!

newshots171.jpg

A little smaller than yours,but in essence:
-keep your wood warmed before putting it in the FB.
-use well split /well seasoned wood
-watch for temp. changes-a 10*F change calls for a small stick (this lessens the occurence of temp. fluctuations.
-keep yer lid closed- an open lid = lost time/heat/pressure. Your meat is creating a humid atmosphere in the chamber,to open it causes a decrease in moisture of the meat.
-use the intake to control the heat, a good heat source should look like this in a sticker:

newshots053.jpg

Just saying.......:wink:

good luck, above advice is great. don't worry if it takes a while to get the hang of it... practice practice practice!

i have some serious pit envy now.. great rig,now lets see some meat on that beast.

Back