Is this good to start a smoker build with?

ctfortner

Knows what a fatty is.
Hey all, new here. I am not new to cooking, but new to building a smoker for sure. I wanted to check with yall and see if this would be good to start out with. It is not the traditional propane style, but I know it can be used in a different way with trays and such.

Anyway, just wanted yalls opinion on the oil tank and trailer for $300 as a place to start. Steel oil tank is approximately 4' Wide x 2 1/2' Deep x 4' Tall. The trailer seems pretty heavy duty and I believe was once used for hauling heavy generators around for a light company or something like that.

I realize it is "depends on what you want" type of thing, however I have never built or owned one before, so I really have no preference at this point as long as it works good and will handle what I want to cook. It will be used more for family events, pool parties and the occasional small BBQ events. Dont plan on whole hogs, just ribs, chicken, butts, that kind of stuff.

I would say I prefer a wood burning firebox for whatever I build, so I am not sure if this is the best for building that type of smoker or not. I like the looks of some of the cabinet style smokers, but most I see are not with a firebox for wood.

smoker.jpg

smoker2.jpg

smoker3.jpg

You can tell your hooked when everything you look at you think, how can I turn that into a cooker. It will be some work, but what build isn't. Looks like you got it for a good price.

The trailer looks like it'd be worth $300?? If nothing else you could sell the steel tank for scrap if it didn't work out. But, if your imagination gets into gear I bet you could make a smoker out of that thing. Cheers!!!

Yeah..youd be lucky to get 300 for that trailer. The box would fetch you a decent amount depending on what your local scrap shops are paying per lb..

Keep the trailer..its got a lot of potential.. Don't scrap the box unless you need the money to buy something else..that box would be great for a project down the road..

Just curious, how thick is the steel? If it's 3/16 or thicker, I think it's a great candidate for a vertical smoker. You could fit it with a door at the bottom/front that's big enough to handle splits, so you could use sticks or charcoal. You stole that rig. Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks all. First thing, I havent actually bought it yet, I am debating whether I should. he doesnt want to split them up, so both or none. He bought them seperate and planned to build a smoker but changed his mind. He said he has $600 in it all.

I have seem stump smokers and they are like this design, although they are more charcoal design and not wood. I love the idea of trays in a cabinet smoker, but always wanted a stick burning firebox. If I was to build a propane tank smoker with firebox, I was going to add a small cabinet box on the end of it also.

286426_134057243355879_100002548134013_207383_2175912_o.jpg

I was thinking the same thing, even if I didnt use the tank, it looks like a good trailer for a build, although I dont know its weight capacity, and not sure if its printed on there or not.

I also dont know thickness of steel yet since I havent visited in person, but he said its pretty solid, not flimsy steel. I assume around 3/16 or so??

Backwoods Smokers are similar in shape and size to a Stump's, but they have a fire tray on the bottom with it's own door for access and then a water tray above it and then the food racks. The heat and smoke travel through a void between the double wall and is pulled down from the top through a type of maze set up before it vents out of the top.

Stump's smokers are a straight gravity feed the uses a charcoal chute that you load a half lit chimny into and then unlit charcoal on top of it after that. The charcoal burns, ash falls away and the unlit feed on top of it.

These are very rough descriptions and you really need to see them both with your own eyes to really understand and apprciate their design qualities and how they work. But if you really want one you can burn wood in, a Backwoods is the way to go.

Ok, I see what you mean now I found their website. It looks like all theirs are double walled with insulation, would I need to do that also? Forgive me but kinda new to smokers like this, but its also a coal only burning setup right? I am not completely opposed to that, but trying to figure out how this particular box could be used if I went that route. Looks like spicewine is another option to "clone"

Not sure it would be necessary to insulate and double wall...but it would make it much more efficient and less prone to temp swings in cold/windy/rainy weather. You can run charcoal with a stick of wood for more smoke if you want and could even burn an all wood fire if you could control it well enough.

Yes, Spicewine is another option to clone, but I believe that they are also double wall insulated.

Yeah, it seems spicewine, gatorpit rebel cabinet style, backwoods, etc are all double walled and insulated. I assume from reading that its mainly providing you a longer burn time on less charcoal. I wont be running into any major contests anytime soon, its more for fun and maybe a small podunk show here and there..so if it would work without double walling, but just burn more wood/coal, I could live with that.

Looks like a good canidate to me. I have a feeling once you get going, you'll think of things to add and eventually, you'll have one killer smoke box. I say go for it and take pictures all along the way!

Good luck.

Just curious, how thick is the steel? If it's 3/16 or thicker, I think it's a great candidate for a vertical smoker. You could fit it with a door at the bottom/front that's big enough to handle splits, so you could use sticks or charcoal. You stole that rig. Let us know how it turns out.

Agree, Of all the things people make smokers out of (filing cabinets, fridges, ect...) I think that a thick wall steel box would make an excellent smoker

Daggum man! I see all kinds of things going through my mind I would like to do with that steel!!! For sure... SO MANY POSSIBILITIES! You are a lucky man for sure.

geez, I sound like a perv talkin about metal and cookers... :p

Oh well.

Back