I bought this #3 Komodo a little over a month ago

tony76248

is Blowin Smoke!
I just added the "After" pictures that I had on this camera. I will get some more uploaded tomorrow.

These were the "Before" pictures that were on Craigslist, I just copied them to a Word file.

I found this #3 Komodo on Craigslist a little over a month ago. I paid a whopping $60 for it. The guy told me it was approximately 30 years old....It probably is or older.... (He was asking $80 for this and also $80 for a 22-1/2" Weber Kettle. I gave him $120 for both)

I might add....thillin called me when he saw it on Craigslist....thanks brother!

The Komodo was in really bad shape. Portions of the earthen exterior were eroded right down to the ceramic interior. As you can see from the pictures it wasn't very impressive and it definitely needed a paint job. The guy didn't have a proper top for it, he was using a tin can for the top and an old metal flower basket as the holder for the charcoal.

I ended up using concrete patch and made the exterior almost as good as new. I tried to make it exact but it was like trying to do drag down testure on a round wall in your house.

I used my weed burner and burned out the caked-on interior and patchy worn out gasket. The draft door was nowhere to be found.

I got the new intake draft door online for about $40 after shipping, It came from Komodo King. (I should have purchased the BGE version because it would have been stainless and about the same price, but I didn't know at the time) This one ended up being rather cheap for what I was expecting. It will also bend very easily, but once in place it is just fine.

I got the cast metal top from the Grill Shoppe in Ft. Worth for about $22. I think they made a mistake when they gave me the price and I wasn't one to argue. I ended up seasoning it like you would do a cast iron pot.

The gasket was also completely gone, so I priced one which ran about $30 from BGE and decided to go with a $2 piece of felt from Wallyworld. I glued it down and then trimmed it with a pair of surgical scissors. It worked just great....

The metal hinge assembly I sanded down to bare metal with my handy dandy Dremel tool (finally made use of all of those useless Dremel attachments) and then repainted with Rustoleum. Then I took a trip to Home depot and got a completely new set of stainless steel hardware for the assembly.

I finished it off with three coats of latex enamel and high temp clear silicon around the intake draft door.

So after buying all the parts, paint and and cooker itself. I ended up spending about $130 to refurb this unit. Plus a little bit of elbow grease and some time which was mostly in between checking of my other cookers that were smoking or grilling or just watching me drink beer.

I also built a new table for it using a couple 2X4's and an small pallet.

The "After" pictures:

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/tony76248/KOMODO/

Attachments

• komodo before.doc
    456.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
It never amazes me as to what we do for our passion! :lol:

Any "progress" and "finished" pics????

Great job and can not wait to hear how it cooks with you in charge!

TIM

Nice job Tony! The Naked Whiz just posted an Imperial Kamado/ Pachinko Palace cookbook on the BGE forum, you should take a look at it. It has important info on it's use. Remember that these clay KAMADO's can't take the high heat like a Big Green Egg can. If you want to sear a steak you have to remove the ring and get the grate close to the coals. I had one similar to yours.
Sold it
Kamado1JPG.jpg

100_1392-1.jpg

Check out the Imperial Kamado website!

Brian

Last edited:
Looks Great Tony. Now you have some time to finish your Charcoal Basket for the UDS...! ! !

Yes, I might as well make two of them. I may swing by the Westex Metals tomorrow and get some more expanded metal. Are you game?

I am now looking for a bigger Komodo or BGE. Anyone interested in buying this one?

If you are serious... PM me. I've been trying to find one of these old ceramic cookers for months on Craig's list. Thought I had one in Minnesota. Have to see how we can get it from Fort Worth though.

The good part is...this one comes with a table......

I am not sure the cost of shipping would be worth it. Plus the fear of it breaking. I have seen how they are packaged on the Komodo site. Go take a look at that and let me know if you think it would work.

Also you can buy these rather cheap after you factor in shipping from the manufacturer.

Back