Do you like it crispy ?

Don Marco

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Then this might be the right stuff for you :biggrin:

57_a_032_Small_4.jpg

Cooked some Gyros for a party with some co-workers today.
Boneless Pork Butt sliced thin and marinated with a store bought gyros seasoning that i upgraded with fresh thyme, oregano, Garlic, Onions and Olive Oil. Roasted it on the pig roaster over lump charcoal and grapevine branches.

Sides were tzatzíki, slaw, pita bread, bacon wraqpped dates with cream cheese stuffing, french fries and ouzo .

57_a_001_Small_20.jpg

57_a_003_Small_15.jpg

57_a_016_Small_7.jpg

57_a_019_Small_8.jpg

57_a_021_Small_6.jpg

57_a_023_Small_5.jpg

57_a_030_Small_4.jpg

57_a_031_Small_2.jpg

57_a_035_Small_2.jpg

57_a_036_Small_1.jpg

57_a_037_Small_3.jpg

57_a_038_Small_2.jpg

Cheers,

DM

That food looks incredible! You were not kidding when you said fresh spices! What kind of flavor do grapevine branches make? Bet your co-workers had a blast.

Mike

That gyro looks mighty tasteful. You got me drooling. Is that ouzo?

is that how gyro meat is made? simply slice pork butt into ham like slices, marinate, and then stake them on a stick?

thats awesome.

Don, that looks fantastic. A little more specifics on how you did that would be helpful as that is definately a culinary work of art. Man that look awsome!!!!!

wow - that is a great idea to use the rotis for one of these days. I would love to know more on how you put it together.

Man, every time I see you making that gyro meat, it makes me jealous and want to do it myself. :cool: Awesome stuff!

Man I bet that chit was good. I wonder what was in those shot glasses???

Nice...Ok DM...give it up...what's in the shot glasses? My guess is Vodka seein' how it's very cold.

I would love to know more on how you put it together.

Its quite easy but a real mess. :twisted:

Just slice the pork about 3/4 to 1" thick and marinade them (using lots of olive oil in the marinade). Make sure every slice is well seasoned.

Then just poke a hole into each slice and mount it to the spit. Build the fire and after about an hour you can start slicing the crispy and juicy goodness off.
If you feed a group you have to work ahead a bit and keep the sliced pieces warm in a chafer to be prepared for dinner time. People then can get there second, third and fourth plate fresh off the spit. :biggrin:

DM

Back