GRΣΣK FΣST MMXXI - Cook's Thread For "Eat Like A Greek" TD

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
2IT9dem.jpg

Our "Eat Like A GrΣΣk" menu kicked off with a 2# loaf of 50:50 lamb and beef gyro meat seasoned with onion, garlic, thyme, rosemary and oregano. Because the slices are cut thin and sauteed.... the mixture needs to be denser than a meatloaf, almost emulsified and a food processor works great.

YPHJYJu.jpg

Cook time on a 375° Egg is about an hour. After cooking, any oils are poured off and a weighted loaf pan is set atop the gyro meat, then it is chilled for slicing. The slices are sauteed right before serving.

bj53C8u.jpg

rk5u6l3.jpg

Next up are Lemon - Garlic Roasted Potatoes

UIG0Nmw.jpg

The seafood component is Shrimp Saganaki. Actually the pan is referred to as the 'saganaki' and any heavy pan works. The shrimp are marinated in olive oil, garlic, red pepper, paprika and oregano. A base of onion slices goes in the pan first, then cherry tomatoes and shrimp are arranged on top. Feta cheese is added last. With the Egg at 400°°+ this takes about 10 or 12 minutes.

3IdFFTi.jpg

Some Cucumber Dill Tzatziki and lettuce, onion & chopped tomatoes are toppings for the gyros.

Hmm...I really like gyro meat but find the store bought stuff to not be very good. Never really considered making my own like you did. Nicely done :clap2:

You can use pork too (or sausage for that matter) and as long as you just get the meat to a sticky state it makes a dense brick of meat. Some people call this 'protein extraction', you only work it enough so that the protein and fat bond. The chilled slices are quite sturdy (even at 1/8" thick) and have a good mouthfeel. The brick freezes really well.

Emulsification is one step farther, and that is what is used for hot dogs and some bologna, but it's a pain because you have to temp the meat constantly and add crushed ice during the process.... and you can still break the protein bond.

Nice pickup Thirdeye.

Yes, the pan is a saganaki. Can cause confusion as when a hard cheese is fried in the pan, it's called Saganaki too. It's the method and the implement, not what's in the pan.

Nice pickup Thirdeye.

Yes, the pan is a saganaki. Can cause confusion as when a hard cheese is fried in the pan, it's called Saganaki too. It's the method and the implement, not what's in the pan.

Yes!! The fried cheese is very popular and when it's lit on fire everyone yells Opa!

Hmm...I really like gyro meat but find the store bought stuff to not be very good. Never really considered making my own like you did. Nicely done :clap2:

This will explain the post-cook prep a little better. The loaf shrinks as it cooks, and the cooking liquid is trapped in the loaf pan. This is almost ready, the internal is around 150°. Most of the liquid gets poured off, and then you lay a sheet of foil on the loaf, and add another loaf pan with weight is stacked on top for an hour or so. Then the loaf is turned out of the pan and chilled before slicing. You can cook these a day or two ahead because the slicing and sauteing only takes a couple minutes, and now the meat is hot and fresh. I bet food trucks do the same thing and warm slices on the flat-top for each gyro order.

QmB1Lmn.jpg

I used some steel wedges for weight, and they weigh maybe 4#, but you could balance a CI skillet or something on that second loaf pan.

1zP8wjL.jpg

I’m pretty sure I have ordered that exact same plate of food at a a Greek restaurant and I bet yours is better!

Back