How to get DQed for no reason in 9 easy steps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawdustguy

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
The Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team went to Grill Kings with a new recipe for chicken with really crisp skin. It is not a secret recipe but it makes very crispy skin and has wonderful flavor. We were disqualified (given 1's in appearance) by the judges because it was deemed that these results must have been achieved by means other than BBQ. If you ever want to be disqualified, here is how to do it in 9 easy steps.

step1.jpg

Step 1. Take your everyday chicken thighs and inject them with your favorite poultry injection.

step2.jpg

Step 2. Season your flour with your favorite poultry rub and crack a few eggs into a bowl.

step3.jpg

Step 3. Dredge your thighs in your seasoned flour.

step4.jpg

Step 4. Place them in a pan and they are ready to take to the grill.

step5.jpg

Step 5. Place them on a grill for indirect grilling. You can smoke them if you wish. We had no more room in the smoker so we indirect grilled them with some apple chuncks for flavor. Direct grilling will burn them.

step6.jpg

Step 6. If you indirect grill them turn them over for some grill marks.

step8.jpg

Step 7. Present them as you see fit

Step8: Receive your notice from the Contest Rep that you have been DQ'ed

Step 9: Be happy because the disqualification caused you to finish outside the top ten

It's that simple boys and girls. Be the first on your block to be disqualified for absolutely no reason.

I'm sorry that you were DQ'd Guy. That sucks.

But... If you showed me a picture of that chicken (or showed me the chicken), without the explanation, I would think it was fried from the appearance, so I can see where a judge would come to that conclusion.

So... This brings up an interesting question. If a judge has a question about the cooking method involved, should they contact the KCBS rep, and should the rep talk to the competitor to verify the method used? I understand that this process would take time, but it would be better than a blind DQ as you experienced.

Also, thanks for the heads up. I don't think we'll be using your chicken method at any comps in the future. :rolleyes:

Ron,

I just thought I would have some fun with this post because it is a no win situation not worth loosing sleep over. We came in 12th overall but the DQ definetely cost us a top ten finish. It's water under the bridge now so I thought I would have some fun with it.

Guy, that is absolutely BULLSHIT. A DQ based upon a guess at how the chicken was cooked is just BULLSHIT. If you had been "caught" frying the chicken, that would be grounds for a DQ, but assuming without any proof is just wrong. The contest judges and reps owe you an apology and your money back, and they need to be removed from any position that would allow them to make any such decision in the future.

What a crock.

Thats just farking wrong Guy.I thought about doing smofried chicken,using a dutch oven with charcoal to heat the oil.:confused:

kcquer said:
Guy, that is absolutely BULLSHIT. A DQ based upon a guess at how the chicken was cooked is just BULLSHIT. If you had been "caught" frying the chicken, that would be grounds for a DQ, but assuming without any proof is just wrong. The contest judges and reps owe you an apology and your money back, and they need to be removed from any position that would allow them to make any such decision in the future.

What a crock.
That's what I couldn't find the words to say!

Guy,
I am going to pick my words carefully. Please do not read between the lines here.

I cooked with Ray Lampe at Arthur. We had a discussion about folks "pushing the limits" and "experimenting" at comps. He "lets others break new ground". I have not forgotten that.

From what I know of the rules, you were legal. But....I am not a Rep or all that experienced in "the edges" of the rules.

I do think if you had cooked them on a plate or in a skillet with oil or something, that would have been frying. But, based on your pictures you did not.

IMHO (with limited experience) you were legal.
Apparently, the egg-flower coating caught them off-guard.

Now, what to do ?????????

This can be a positive learning experience for all.

I would send a polite letter to KCBS with prints of your cooking process.
Ask for a decision for the future.
I really think they will look at it and advise you and the Reps how to handle this process in the future.
No way to fix the GK results, but "clear the decks" for future events.

I guess the only thing you could have done different at GK was to call the Rep over and explain what you were doing in advance. Offer to show him the process if he desired.
But, this would have required you determining you were "on the edge" and .....maybe you did not realize this could cause probelms.
Every Rep I have ever met hates--really, really hates--to DQ.
I think they would have worked with you to change your process or approve it. At least he would not have been surprised in the judging tent.

But, that is all hindsight and worthless now.

Side Note--only Reps can DQ. Judges and Table Captains can only call items to Reps attention. Only Reps make a DQ decision.

I do admire your ingenuity and will try that------ here at home :lol: :lol:

TIM

I agree Tim. I kinda wrote this tounge in cheek. In the scale of things we encounter in life, it's really no biggie. Just thought I would have some fun with it and prevent someone else from making the same mistake.

Now that I think of it...heres something similar and adds to kapns advice.

We have a kind of unique brisket presentation. Rumor had it that the presentation has been disallowed as possible "sculpting" or "marking". On saturday morning, I spoke to Rod Grey about his feelings on the presentation. His advice was to talk to the rep and give him a heads up so he is aware of it at turnin time.... in case an issue comes up withthe judges. Technically, the presentation is allowed. I spoke to the rep early, he made a mental note, and nothing else was said, or happened. So.. I guess, for future contests, we know, that IF you use that technique again, that it may be wise to bring the rep over WHILE IT IS COOKING!!! That will avoid the DQ, but still leaves the question as to how the judges will score it.

it does look fried in the pictures.. :eek:

and made me hungry. :twisted: :mrgreen:

BBQchef33 said:
and made me hungry. :twisted: :mrgreen:

I forgot to add that to my post. It really looks good. I may have to try it at home.

Well, how do I say this?

I judged your chicken.

I debated whether or not i wanted to let you know, but I feel I can offer some input on this.

No one commented on the chicken while judging for appearance. But when sampling began someone said to the table captain that they thought the chicken MIGHT have been fried. Several others including myself agreed that the chicken might have been fried. The table captain then summoned the KCBS reps, who examined the chicken and then instructed everyone at the table to give the chicken a 1 for appearance and continue to score it for taste and tenderness. I was very surprised, I seem to recall this exact sort of question being covered at the Judges class and the Rep stating that questionably cooked item should be scored as is, while a KCBS Rep verified the preparation method.

Now maybe the Rep simply felt that oven-fried chicken was not Barbecue and DQed you on that basis, but I would still take up the issue with KCBS for further clarification of the rules.

That sucks! Live and learn I guess.The chicken looks great though.

Guy - I'd fight this, but that's just how I am.

Rule 6 of the KCBS rules state:
"Parboiling and/or deep-frying competition meat is not allowed."

According to Wikipedia:
Deep frying is a cooking method whereby food is submerged in hot oil or fat.

And also according to Wikipedia:
Pan frying is a form of frying characterized by the use of less cooking oil than deep frying; enough oil to, at most, cover the food to be cooked only half way.

Reading the rules, deep frying is specifically banned. OK, no problem.

But pan frying is not. So, that would mean that fried chicken is allowed as per the rules. So even if you DID fry the chicken it still should have been allowed and you should not have been DQ'd.

I really don't know anything about judging and the rules, but that is some incredibly delicious looking chicken!

And it is great to see that you can have some fun with this unfortunate and apparently unwarranted experience.

Rockaway BeachBQ said:
Well, how do I say this?

I judged your chicken.

I debated whether or not i wanted to let you know, but I feel I can offer some input on this.

No one commented on the chicken while judging for appearance. But when sampling began someone said to the table captain that they thought the chicken MIGHT have been fried. Several others including myself agreed that the chicken might have been fried. The table captain then summoned the KCBS reps, who examined the chicken and then instructed everyone at the table to give the chicken a 1 for appearance and continue to score it for taste and tenderness. I was very surprised, I seem to recall this exact sort of question being covered at the Judges class and the Rep stating that questionably cooked item should be scored as is, while a KCBS Rep verified the preparation method.

Now maybe the Rep simply felt that oven-fried chicken was not Barbecue and DQed you on that basis, but I would still take up the issue with KCBS for further clarification of the rules.

There is nothing fried about it. No oil is used. The skin is simply battered. We would have done it in the smoker if we had the room at the time. The chicken was indeed smoked if you read the whole post. It was indirectly grilled using apple wood chunks. If thats not BBQ I don't know what is? Was it too moist and tasty to be BBQ chicken?

That's really a shame. The end result looked great!
Better luck next time.

Sawdustguy said:
There is nothing fried about it. No oil is used. The skin is simply battered. We would have done it in the smoker if we had the room at the time. The chicken was indeed smoked if you read the whole post. It was indirectly grilled using apple wood chunks. If thats not BBQ I don't know what is? Was it too moist and tasty to be BBQ chicken?
I guess I should have gone with my instincts and kept my mouth shut. I was only trying to let you know what happened, and not giving my opinion as to whether or not Chicken that is passed through a standard breading procedure is barbecue.

To clarify, I thought the chicken was delicious, however I and every single judge at the table agreed the chicken MIGHT have been fried. The Contest Rep was notified and DQed you on the spot, that was his decision. I think it is a Judges and a Table Captain's responsibility to notify the Rep when they think a rule MAY have been broken. The Rep is then responsible for the decision whether or the rules have been broken. He did not consult you before making his decision which also MAY have been a violation of the rules. I was only trying to give you all of the information, so that you could make an informed complaint. For all I know I could be violating the rules by discussing this with you all. If you have any questions please PM me.

OK I don't blame Brother Rockaway Beach for the DQ. I blame the contest rep. I think Rock was doing his job. The rep owed it to Guy to go look him up and ask how it was cooked rather than just assuming cuz whoever the rep was sure made the ASS (what happens when you assume) out of himself this time.

rockawaybeachbq said:
The table captain then summoned the KCBS reps, who examined the chicken and then instructed everyone at the table to give the chicken a 1 for appearance and continue to score it for taste and tenderness.
Not being in the circuit, but I found this to be the most disturbing part.
The rep can tell the judges how to cast a vote?
This doesn't sound much like a democracy. Or right.

But I don't know from these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back