Smoked turkey

The OC Kid

I am relatively new to smoking on the bbq. I have done it probably about 10 to 12 times with baby backs, fish, and a pulled pork. I have a horizontal smoker. A Brinkman. I am still learning how to keep the heat consistant

I am thinking about doing a whole turkey next week. I am looking for any tips or advice from anybody that has smoked a whole turkey. I plan on injecting the turkey and then a dry rub.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brine, smoke about 5 to 6 hrs then foil and cooler for another hour.

Sent from my 3vo using Tapatalk

I've not done one since getting a WSM but I've done a few on a Weber OTG. The first was a simple Butterball with some seasoning on the outside of the bird. Indirect but high heat for around 2 to 2.5 hrs. Turned out delicious. Next tried brining a natural bird but didn't see a substantial improvement over the Butterball bird. In fact, I liked the BB better. Have since done another BB. I think high heat is the key.

The advice above is good. I like to take a few tamales out of the husk and put them into the cavity as stuffing.

I've not done one since getting a WSM but I've done a few on a Weber OTG. The first was a simple Butterball with some seasoning on the outside of the bird. Indirect but high heat for around 2 to 2.5 hrs. Turned out delicious. Next tried brining a natural bird but didn't see a substantial improvement over the Butterball bird. In fact, I liked the BB better. Have since done another BB. I think high heat is the key.

Ditto
I have done three birds on my kettle and each turned out great. No brine, indirect heat and about 2.5 hours of cook with a little wood on the coals for a light smoke. The Weber kettle is a turkey cooking machine.

I have done three birds on my kettle and each turned out great. No brine, indirect heat and about 2.5 hours of cook with a little wood on the coals for a light smoke. The Weber kettle is a turkey cooking machine.

Indeed. I want to get a rotisserie ring for mine for the next bird.

How are you liking the brinmann offset thus far? I miss mine, putting in whole logs was fun.

@ Smoothsmok - I am still learning the Brinkmann offset. I have had some good results so far. I am still learning to keep a constant heat. After a few hours, I struggle to keep the heat at around 225. It seems that no matter how much charcoal that I put in the box is does not get to hot.
I really like grilling on the offset though, I have some flexibility to move the meat around and cook high heat indirectly. I find this effective with steaks and some chicken.

I never brine and my turkeys come out moist. Rub with olive oil and Simply Marvelous Season. Be sure to get under the skin. Let it sit overnight and smoke at 350-375. About 3/4 of the way I cover the breasts and wings with tinfoil to keep from drying out. Make sure you let it rest at least a half hour once it's done cooking. Smoked turkey is out of this world.

I like to brine mine and spatchcock them.

During the holidays, I get nice comments from friends and neighbors (and a little cash, too).

@ Smoothsmok - I am still learning the Brinkmann offset. I have had some good results so far. I am still learning to keep a constant heat. After a few hours, I struggle to keep the heat at around 225. It seems that no matter how much charcoal that I put in the box is does not get to hot.
I really like grilling on the offset though, I have some flexibility to move the meat around and cook high heat indirectly. I find this effective with steaks and some chicken.

I believe I know why your temps are dropping. In the fire chamber, the grate that you put the charcoal/wood on sits way too low. So ash accumulates and snuffs out the fire a bit. Gotta find a way to elevate that grate.

I believe I know why your temps are dropping. In the fire chamber, the grate that you put the charcoal/wood on sits way too low. So ash accumulates and snuffs out the fire a bit. Gotta find a way to elevate that grate.

You are exactly right. Do you empty your ash half way through the cooking?

You are exactly right. Do you empty your ash half way through the cooking?

I used to try and get some of it out after 2 hours or so. But you have to be fast in doing so, maybe 30 seconds max in doing it. I used to use a long gardening tool to do scrape it out. It's probably easier to just build something to hold the grate up higher to get proper air flow though.

Back