Smoked Turkey Breast 🦃

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reckon I'm going to be forced to learn to smoke Turkey. Checked my go to yesterday and Smoked Turkey, well it's $20#. Reckon I best buy a practice turkey. Of course a good ol fat hen in a pot with noodles is dang good. As The Doobie s sang, "it keeps you running".

Rest of story, bought some Blue Plate Mayo other day, Dukes is my go to but couldn't resist trying Blue Plate. Was thinking a Turkey Sandwich. May just buy some red ring bologna instead of turkey

Still may drive through grab a rice krispie treat and some 3Bean.

I'd recommend Boar's Head beef bologna. Or go Pennsylvania Dutch (and a completely different direction) with Boar's Head Lebanon bologna. Our go-to mayo is Blue Plate.

Only part of a smoked turkey I'm interested in eating AS sliced turkey is a de-boned breast (TX style- salt pepper and buttttttter). I cut up and smoke the other pieces too- but they are gumbo or soup fixings. Not a mayo aficionado...can't believe there would actually be such a thing. Various brands have been in my fridge over the years. Blue Plate, Hellmans, Kraft, Dukes, Great Value - had them all. Don't recall drooling over any particular one or asking the missus to "kindly not buy xyz brand again" . I guess I don't find one so much better than the others to the point that I could even get into good hearted ribbing with with anyone over how wrong they were for using abc brand. Happy Holidays.

If getting Lebanon Bologna get Weavers

I can't find Lebanon in any of my grocery store deli's anymore. Used to see it, not anymore. It's a shame.

My only source is Seltzer's which I like, but it's in 6 oz packages at Walmart.

I make do. Love the smokey stuff.

Only part of a smoked turkey I'm interested in eating AS sliced turkey is a de-boned breast (TX style- salt pepper and buttttttter). I cut up and smoke the other pieces too- but they are gumbo or soup fixings. Not a mayo aficionado...can't believe there would actually be such a thing. Various brands have been in my fridge over the years. Blue Plate, Hellmans, Kraft, Dukes, Great Value - had them all. Don't recall drooling over any particular one or asking the missus to "kindly not buy xyz brand again" . I guess I don't find one so much better than the others to the point that I could even get into good hearted ribbing with with anyone over how wrong they were for using abc brand. Happy Holidays.

My method of turkey cooking uses the beer butt method on the WSM. I use the following injection:

1 Cup of Sweet White Wine
1/2 Cup of Fresh Squeezed and Strained Lemon Juice
1/2 Cup Melted Butter
1/3 Cup of Honey

This is more than enough solution for a 12 pound turkey.

I will filet out the cooked breast and slice them across the grain. I prefer smoked turkey breast served cold for sandwiches. I too am not a fan of Mayo/Miracle Whip. The condiment I prefer is Ott's Vidalia Onion Dressing. As for the dark meat of the turkey, I use it for soup or a casserole recipe that is listed below:

[FONT=Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif]Beerman's Turkey, Broccoli and Rice Casserole[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ingredients:[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif]5 cups broccoli fleurettes (tops - no stems)
4 cups precooked rice
3.5 cups turkey
1.5 cups sliced mushrooms
1.5 cups milk
1 15 oz. jar Cheese Whiz
1 10-3/4 oz. can Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 10-3/4 oz. can Campbell's Broccoli and Cheese Soup
1 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 stick of butter
[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cooking Instructions: [/FONT][FONT=Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sauté broccoli, onions, peppers and mushrooms in butter. Place in large (greased) mixing bowl and stir in turkey pieces. Precook the rice according to directions on package. In microwave, heat together milk, Cheese Whiz, and soup. Add spices to taste. Heat the mixture until cheese is melted. Add the precooked rice to soup mixture and stir. Add the rice and cheese mixture to the vegetable and turkey mixture and stir. Place the combined ingredients in greased 3-quart casserole dish. (According to the dish I used, mine measures 9.5" x 13.5" x 2".) Bake at 350F for about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes before serving.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif]Notes: You can top the mixture with bread crumbs and/or French-fried onion if so desired. You can also use 2/3 cup of red bell pepper if you do not like green bell pepper. Feel free to substitute cream of mushroom soup or cream of celery soup for the broc[/FONT][FONT=Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif]c[/FONT][FONT=Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif]oli and cheese soup. You can also substitute chicken for the turkey. IMHO, the rice will have a better flavor if it is boiled in smoked turkey/chicken stock. Although the pre-cooked vegetables amount to about 7 cups, they will cook down to 5 cups.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif]One anomaly to this recipe that I haven't figured out is this. I carefully measured all ingredients and added them up on paper. They add up to over 17 cups - 5 cups of vegetables, 5 cups of soup/cheese/milk, 4 cups of rice and 3.5 cups of turkey. Somehow this mixture will fit in my "3 QT." casserole dish which holds 14 liquid cups.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif]This recipe was based off of a broccoli and rice recipe that my ex-wife used to feed me.........when she cooked - which was seldomly. I can say this and get away with it because I know she won't be reading this.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Smoked them on the OTS. Smoked them on the Genesis. Smoked them on the WMS (letters rearranged to fit Dr. Seuss rhyming).

The Ninja Woodfire did a pretty good job at Thanksgiving.
20221116.jpg

Back