Well done meats

jpw23

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Is it really a crime to want your steaks or whatever well done? My wife likes her steaks tanned on both sides, I like mine almost burned and from looking some of the pics posted here, it would seem that most prefer med. rare. Am I really ruining a good piece of meat?:confused: :biggrin:

my step dad likes em well done. i on the other hand like to knock off the horns and wipe its ass and call it cooked.. IMO u lose alot of the flavor and tenderness when it is over cooked. Ive had em everywhich way. i love mine cooked at home for bout 4-5 min per side depending on how thick the steak is.

jpw23 said:
Is it really a crime to want your steaks or whatever well done? My wife likes her steaks tanned on both sides, I like mine almost burned and from looking some of the pics posted here, it would seem that most prefer med. rare. Am I really ruining a good piece of meat?:confused: :biggrin:

I started life at "Medium well" or "+" for steak.
A few years ago, I moved to "Medium".
I am now at "Medium Rare", but still can not handle blood in the plate :mad:
Give me some red or pink and keep the blood away and I am happy :lol:
That is about it for me. :lol:

Anyway you want them is your business and no one elses!

TIM

It's the blood that creeps me out! I think my wife could rip the throat from a cow with her teeth and be ok with it!!:shock: :biggrin:

jpw23 said:

not if you like it that way! its like that comercial says "you are the boss of you". enjoy.
phil

we're slaughtering a steer tuesday, cant wait to get me fresh ribeye off of ol' ribeye..

Cook it how you like it...and don't sweat it...

I'm like Kapn, started out eating steak like the bottom of a shoe as a kid(guess that's how Dad liked to cook his...so that's how the family had theirs...As I got older, I began to work my way down into the medium well, then medium to med-rare range... Medium works for me the best for me.... Only time I'll go med-rare is the occasional visit to a top notch NYC or LI steakhouse as I'm spending top $$ and need to eat it "the right way"....

I know a guy loves his steaks so "black and blue" that by the time he dropd the steak on the super hot grill, you can count to 60, he needs it flipped for another 30-60 seconds...then it's eating time for him... To me...it's raw, not even rare... The cows still mooing...

I go for medium rare to medium. But, like was said, you have it the way that you want it. Plain and simple. There is a difference in juiciness though.

jpw23 said:
Am I really ruining a good piece of meat?:confused: :biggrin:

It is your meat, you eat it anyway you want to.

I like rare to medium rare. Cooked very hot.

When I was waiting tables at Bennigan's in college, I had both ends of the spectrum. I remember one customer whose instructions were, "tell the cook to cook it until he thinks it is burned and then tell him to cook it 5 minutes more.

I had another who said,
"I want it cooked 1 minute on each side"

Raw on cold plate is fine for me.
Each to their own!

Wait staff asks "How would you like that cooked?

1. I don't.

2. Saw the horns off, wipe his butt, throw him on a plate.

3. I want it so rare, a good vet might be able to revive it.

4. Just walk him out here, bring me a knife, fork, and salt shaker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cook it how you want, you're paying for it. Myself, on the other hand.

"When I stick it with the fork, I want it to moo"

"Wipe around its arsehole, knock it upside the head and drag it through a warm room"

"Throw it on the grill and when it jumps off, I'll catch it on my plate"

gut un's Joe

This is why they make chocolate and vanilla. You should be able to have your food your way and do not let anybody tell you otherwise. Choice is what makes us free.

A friend of mine that is a trained chef told me that a lot depends on the cut of meat. If you want well done, don't go for ribeye, which toughens up as it gets over medium, though other cuts are still fine at higher doneness. Her point was that you can take what's considered a higher quality cut alongside a lower quality cut, cook both to well done, and the lower quality cut is actually better at that point.

jpw23 said:

You know, I don't think it matters until the meat dries out and/or gets too tough to chew - you know? THEN it's ruined.

As everyone said: Cook it the way YOU like it.

PimpSmoke said:
"Wipe around its arsehole, knock it upside the head and drag it through a warm room"

for me, depends on the cut.. but for good steaks or prime rib, i shoot for the medium side of med-rare only becase by the time i get it, its medium. I'm like the others that dont like the red stuff floating around my dish.. Cant handle that..

one thing though.. i just cant see bringing a cut like a filet mignon over medium.. it gets chewy and dry.. others cuts handle it well, but like has been said.. its your beef.. make it how u like it..

just dont put ketchup on it..

or mayo. :wink:

At the Brooklyn contest, as I scavenged the judges' left overs, there was one plate of steak that looked completely well done-- which I rarely like. I was skeptical, but I popped a piece in my mouth and it was tender, moist and flavorful. I think BQ was tasting it next to me. We were both shocked, but well done can still be some good chit.

parrothead said:
I go for medium rare to medium. But, like was said, you have it the way that you want it. Plain and simple. There is a difference in juiciness though.

At rare, it ain't juice... it's farkin' BLOOD! :icon_smil

For me it depends on the meat. I would hate to have brisket meduim rare, but if you like your prime rib well done, that is up to you.

Back